Whats the best measure of how good a player is? Average rating? Genie Scout? Value? Scout reports? Other?

Hey guys!

Im pretty new to the game and trying to figure out how to best assess how good a player is in my team. When looking at for example player value, scout reports, average rating for a season and Genie scout I can get pretty conflicting opinions. For example one of my players who is around the same age as the others, play as many games as them in his preferred position and have no obvious issues is valued at around 3m Euros  (average in the team is around 20) and get around 6.5 average rating for last season (average in the team is around 6.80). Yet Genie scout values him as a current top player in the world (in % for his position). Similarly one of my player with the highest CA and top performer based on average rating for last season (7.10+)  gets a meager 2,5stars current performance from my scout team despite 6.6-6.7-rating for current season-players get 3.5-4 stars from my scouts . So, im curious how you guys assess performance? Whats the most important measure? 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attributes, and how well they fit the role based on the job you are asking of a player.

To give some extremes to show it. If you are looking for a Target Man, Messi is not the player you want. If you are looking for a central midfielder who can do the dirty work defensively, you might not want Bruno Fernandes. If you are looking for an out-and-out striker to only score goals, Firmino is not the one.

That said, they are all great players, but they will not perform great in roles not suited for their attribute spread.

So suitability of attributes is the number 1 key for me based on my tactic and what role I play any player in.

As for external tools, they can give some information (mostly hidden things that you are not supposed to know for gameplay reasons like PA/CA/etc), but since they are external and not supported by SI, use them with caution. If they somehow interfere with the game files, they can have unintended consequences and SI will not be able to help out with errors or crashes.

13 hours ago, XaW said:

Attributes, and how well they fit the role based on the job you are asking of a player.

To give some extremes to show it. If you are looking for a Target Man, Messi is not the player you want. If you are looking for a central midfielder who can do the dirty work defensively, you might not want Bruno Fernandes. If you are looking for an out-and-out striker to only score goals, Firmino is not the one.

That said, they are all great players, but they will not perform great in roles not suited for their attribute spread.

So suitability of attributes is the number 1 key for me based on my tactic and what role I play any player in.

As for external tools, they can give some information (mostly hidden things that you are not supposed to know for gameplay reasons like PA/CA/etc), but since they are external and not supported by SI, use them with caution. If they somehow interfere with the game files, they can have unintended consequences and SI will not be able to help out with errors or crashes.

/thread, tbh.

I have had CB's that had 2* ratings put up phenomenal results week-in-week-out because despite being a limited player, they had the perfect role and the right skills for the job.

Meanwhile i've had 5* players struggle to be average because I inherited him from the previous manager, and his ample skills simply didn't work well within the system I was trying to play.

Of course, better skills = better player. But ultimately a one-dimensional player that knows exactly what he needs to do and does it to a great degree can get you the same or better results as a well rounded player who doesn't fit in the system.

Naturally, a better overall player still is more flexible to use than a 2* one-dimensional CB who knows only how to hoof it clear. And they'll become completely exposed when used outside their comfort zone, whereas a rounded player can often play to a certain standard even when he's out of his comfort zone.

tl;dr - Attributes + Giving them roles that makes use of those attributes is key. Don't make players do what they're not good at. Sometimes a simpler role brings better results than a complicated one.

What about a spesific case, who starts on the field and who is the substitute? (Advanced Forward Striker) They also play AMR and AML sometimes, and sometimes together in 442.

qryTXGq.png

Stats after 23 out of 36 league matches played:

EdRYyQE.png

19fqggc.png

W3TSosN.png

Edited by Speedyol

8 minutes ago, Speedyol said:

What about a spesific case, who starts on the field and who is the substitute? (Advanced Forward Striker) They also play AMR and AML sometimes, and sometimes together in 442.

qryTXGq.png

Stats after 23 out of 36 league matches played:

EdRYyQE.png

19fqggc.png

W3TSosN.png

It depends, but for me Jacques seems like the best fit for an Advance Forward simply because of his speed and agility. If the other teams are playing a high line he should be able to slip behind quite easily. Miletic is a much better finisher though, so if you expect to not get much room behind, I'd think he would finish more of his chances. I'd say they have two different roles. Overall, I'd say Miletic looks like the best striker, but Jacques seems to fit the role best, if that makes sense. The low pace and acceleration of Miletic would make me want to play him in a different role than an AF. Still, if it works for you, why change?

Yes I can agree with that. Ive used them as follows:

Jacques plays as Advanced forward Center / Left and Left Winger on support and a Right Inverted Winger on attack.
Miletic plays as Advanced forward center or Deep lying forward support Right and a Right Inverted Winger on attack.

After a full season of 36 matches, We finished 4th in the league and just managed to get to Euro cup 2 again. They both scored 15 goalls. But overall including cups its 24 to 16 goals in Jacques favor. He might have played more cup matches.
They where both on 14 goals before the final round, so I played them both up front so they both had a chance to score.

yHb5AtA.png