[FMT 21] - En Avant les Costarmoricains de Bretagne

840.png

Update Career Objectives:
v - Promote to League 1 in a maximum of 3 seasons (May 2021, 1st in Ligue 2)
x - Build a squad of only Bretons and Academy Products (WIP)
x - Qualify again for an European Competition (WIP)
x - Finish higher than 7th in League 1 (WIP)
x - Have a positive record against Breton clubs (WIP)
x - Win another Coupe de France to make it 3 trophies (WIP)
x - Have a player called up to the France NT (WIP)
x - Have a player score more than 69 league goals (S. Guivarc'h) (WIP)
x - Have a player with more than 386 appearances (C. Michel) (WIP)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of context about the way our first season went. Most of the season we shaped into a 4-2-3-1, although we switched a bit towards the end playing with different formations. Season accolades go to M'Changama (player of the season, highest average rating and most POM awards), Gomis (23 goals overall his season - 20 of them in Ligue 2) and Bryan Pele (15 assists). We averaged for a little over 9500 spectators in the league, which is pretty decent, although our finances do not look spectacular at all.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-End-of-Season-Review-456e76f80a0069273.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-End-of-Season-Review-3e208653ebe1ec958.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-End-of-Season-Review-2f6e4db71f7dd5d56.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-End-of-Season-Review64201f832134f2df.png

A combined goal contribution of 35+ between two players, wish I had as much luck within my season at Glimt. Tie those two down for long-term contracts my friend. 

Not much of a surprise in Ligue 1 as PSG comfortably wins it with just a loss the entire season. Lyon came 2nd, but with a performance fit for a champion if not for PSG's obscene league form, while Lille got the last CL place. Monaco and Marseille finished 4th and 5th in the league. As for the fellow Breton clubs, Nantes and Rennes finished in 10th and 11th tied with 51 points, which is actually pretty mediocre for them, with Lorient not far back in 13th with just 44 points. Brest finished second to last and got relegated to Ligue 2, we won't be meeting them next season and it is going to be still 4 Breton clubs in Ligue 1.

Ligue-1_-Competition-Reviewd39fc6cf4b25e13e.png

Not much success for French clubs in European Competitions. PSG and Marseille got eliminated in the First Knockout Round of Champions League (PSG fought hard and lost to Man Utd 2-1 agg, while Marseille lost 3-0 to Barca) in a competition eventually won by Bayern (1-0 against Man City). In Europa League no French Club reached the higher phases of the competition, which was won by Roma (1-0 in final with Real Madrid).

UEFA-Champions-League_-Stagesa4240de25167fde4.png

UEFA-Europa-League_-Stages148ab088da860c31.png

Board expectations for the next season(s). A bit throw-off by the club culture which includes possession football and high pressing football together with defensively solid football. That 3 way combo is hard to achieve even by a stronger team in the league, but we will struggle even more being a newly promoted team. Don't really know what the board had in mind with that, cause the other requests are pretty straightforward - fight bravely against relegation and work within wage budget. We will just have to see how much we are capable of strengthening the team with Breton players to achieve that.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inboxbf84d04f6c502e35.png

Some improvements of the club over the summer. Not sure how realistic or beneficial for our career is the partnership with Slavia Sofia, I doubt it in real life we would get such a connection made, but I am just curious if we get Bulgarian newgens in Guingamp. In the same time, the upgrade of our scouting range does not help a lot either considering the restrictions we have self-imposed about only signing Breton players. The money from the TV rights is pretty good though for a club of our stature.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-323a3102d0b9c2ce7.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox6b7916cd5aa91965.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-2b7682e48a8ea173e.png

We are on the lookout for good Breton players to join us, so when I saw Brest relegated I was delighted thinking we can steal some of their eligible players. I found they had a really good Goalkeeper in Gautier Larsonneur (which is a nice upgrade considering we had Larson > Larsonneur). After a little negotiation with the club they agreed for a 3M deal with no added clauses. And then the big surprise came at the contract negotiation - he refuses us due to the rivalry between our clubs. Oh, go f... yourself in Ligue 2 monsieur Larsonneur I see no big line of clubs pilling up to get you back to top-level football! Hope that this does not become a pattern though, we need players produced by fellow-Breton clubs if we are to survive in League 1.

Gautier-Larsonneur_-Profile5d81dbb596f0f26e.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox683a5cb8dafb7465.png

Not a very revealing start of the season as players kept leaving and coming (full report on transfers probably next) and we had a mixture of bigger and smaller opponents. As expected we lost against Brugge and West Ham (which are completely another level) but won against lower league opposition. Been experimenting with using a DM to hold the game back a bit better, expecting us to struggle a bit against the big boys of Ligue 1, while we will continue to play possession and attacking football against teams around our level.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixtures414de019d5fff5fa.png

Intense transfer activity this summer. Before the season reset date we bought in 3 players (from Brest, Lorient and Nantes - local clubs) Robin Voisine at CB, Hiangá Mbock for DMC and Pierre-Yves Hamel for ST. We let go for pennies or on free transfers 3 players in the same period. After we passed into the next season we brought in some more players, top of the pick being Matis Carvalho (GK) from Montpellier, Elie Youan (ST) from Nantes, Alexandre Coeff (DC/R/M) from Auxerre. We also sold a high number of non-Breton players, highest fees received for Nicolai Larsen (close to 1M), Dylan Durivaux (210k) and Yohan Baret (195k). The remaining squad assessment to follow soon.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Transfer-History-24665d4e841f4616b.png

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Transfer-History1324f6d29e802f34.png

This is the full squad we got back into Ligue 1. Not sure we have high quality among the players, but for sure we have good squad depth which will allow us a bit of tactical freedom this season. Although we are based mainly on young players, we do have some older ones to lead the way (the oldest being at 37 the newly signed defender Jeremy Morel - with bags of experience at top level, but also last year's player of the season M'Changama who just turned 30, or a series of players in their prime 26-29 years old). Probably going to start the season with the preferred formation of Desmas - Mellot, Sampaio, Niakite, Rebocho - MBock, Dabo - Rodelin, M'Changama, Rodelin - Youan. Just hoping we are good enough for survival, anything else is just a bonus at this point.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Players64099a75db8f1045.png

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Players-252bf1a16be997be1.png

Our first Breton derby of the season. We met Lorient at home and won 3-1 in a match we dominated in possession (67%) and shots (8-4 on target). Board and fans should be happy with this.

Guingamp-v-Lorient_-Reviewaa849257179fa9f3.png

Farmers league you say? Take that Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga! Ligue 1 is the higher spender in this summer window, with no less than 622M worth of transfers. Almost half of this came from PSG (310M), roughly around 200M more than the next European clubs (Juve and Bayern). Their biggest transfers are Paolo Dybala, Declan Rice, Marco Asensio, although they spent some pennies also on Jesus Corona, Giovanni di Lorenzo, Cesar Azpilicueta or others. I think topping PSG while using only Breton players is pretty much an impossible task (at least for the next few years).

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox6eb34bc82a5bad87.png

Paris-Saint-Germain-FC_-Transfer-Historyd26362f45c4fbd76.png

9 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Farmers league you say? Take that Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga! Ligue 1 is the higher spender in this summer window, with no less than 622M worth of transfers. Almost half of this came from PSG (310M), roughly around 200M more than the next European clubs (Juve and Bayern). Their biggest transfers are Paolo Dybala, Declan Rice, Marco Asensio, although they spent some pennies also on Jesus Corona, Giovanni di Lorenzo, Cesar Azpilicueta or others. I think topping PSG while using only Breton players is pretty much an impossible task (at least for the next few years).

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox6eb34bc82a5bad87.png

Paris-Saint-Germain-FC_-Transfer-Historyd26362f45c4fbd76.png

There you go, that's more like it.....they have dipped into their pockets! 😂😂

We did not had the easiest start, Ligue 1 is a different animal all together, and the quality of the teams we are faced with is significantly higher than last season. Besides the Derby de Bretagne against Lorient we also won with a ton of luck away at Monaco (we were 0-2 at halftime), and got draws at Strasbourg, Marseille (really parked the bus, but we still should have lost according to the statistics) and at home to Lens (should have won that comfortably, but I guess these one balance the plus and minuses over the season). We lost to Angers, Bordeaux and Auxerre (none of them sitting at the top of the league currently), and therefore settled perfectly in mid-table mediocrity in 13th place. Still, a lot more games to be played and anything could happen, but pretty satisfied with our current standing in the league.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixtures455a125a5ab6c75a.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Review49c77485ecf17a22.png

I got my first offer to take over another club, struggling and last-placed Montpellier offered me a two-year contract. Thanks, the recognition is nice, but I have a project here in Guingamp and I will sadly (for you) have to decline.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox44e8cb21941c3897.png

Love the idea behind this! Strong results so far! I can see a season of overachievement and you finishing in top half!

1 hour ago, scarp said:

Love the idea behind this! Strong results so far! I can see a season of overachievement and you finishing in top half!

Hopefully that happens. We need a bit of time to gel together players brought in the summer, but hopefully we can pick up pace during the season.

Not sure exactly why but our finances overall keep going down. Despite the boost that came this summer with the promotion to Ligue 1 the overall balance is still decreasing...

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inboxd5087f872115a9d2.png

It was to be expected that the second intake wont be as good as the first one, but still looks like a rather decent bunch of players from the preview.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inboxa779abc8911af55a.png

A solid start, more points won than lost so absolutely on track for a mid-table finish, which no doubt would be above the expectations of the board. 

Youth intake also looks good, those AM's 👀👀

We continue our up and down performances but can not really complain, as we are consolidating our mid-table position. We won three matches (all at home against St. Etienne, Caen and Montpellier). In October we also played two derbies with fellow Breton clubs, we managed a 0-0 at home to Nantes and lost 0-1 away at Rennes. They are pretty strong teams this season, Rennes is sitting 4th in the league and Nantes 6th, while the other Breton club Lorient is not doing so good and battling relegation at the moment. 

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixturesb77caed77c3280a2.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Review29876f2519c97784.png

Come the winter and since we had some money left in the bank we raided Rennes for players who did not feature to much in the current season and were unsatisfied with that. So we brought in two versatile players, both are suited at CB but Gelin can play in DM also and Nyamsi on the RB. A bit strange that got to sign them in December before the usual transfer window, but its either a bug of Touch or I have unlocked in the previous careers played 'unlock no transfer window achievement'. Hoping with these two we get closer to the board request of playing defensively solid football. 

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Transfer-History2bef350e54a36c54.png

I guess we did enough to impress the boar as I get a new contract with no significant changes in Club Culture or the 5 years plan. Of course I signed it right away eager to continue my work here.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox01ce6eb421d63b19.png

We had an easier schedule in December, but we also performed pretty good. At least in the first three matches when we won it all (Reims, Nice, Metz), before being destroyed 0-4 at home by Lyon (who in a league without PSG would probably comfortably win the title). Our good performances moved us up the league to 8th, and we still aren't the bet newly promoted side (Auxerre is sitting in 6th). Rennes kept their place in 4th, Nantes slipped behind us in 9th and Lorient took some little distance from the relegation places. Meanwhile in Ligue 2 Brest is looking good for promotion sitting 1st in the league. 

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixtures471214b72e548d49.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Reviewec1ce9e737c99a66.png

1 hour ago, Muttley84 said:

Come the winter and since we had some money left in the bank we raided Rennes for players who did not feature to much in the current season and were unsatisfied with that. So we brought in two versatile players, both are suited at CB but Gelin can play in DM also and Nyamsi on the RB. A bit strange that got to sign them in December before the usual transfer window, but its either a bug of Touch or I have unlocked in the previous careers played 'unlock no transfer window achievement'. Hoping with these two we get closer to the board request of playing defensively solid football. 

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Transfer-History2bef350e54a36c54.png

It's the "Joker" transfer window in France. You can sign a domestic based player outside of the window but my understanding was that you were limited to only one such transfer.

Getting a bit tired of constantly having to set fixtures for the Reserves team. They are not playing official matches, and the only teams agreeing to play with us are reserves teams of other teams and lower league opposition. I am considering seriously if we don't get the option in the next summer to have the 2nd team playing official matches to send all the players out on loans and give them game time this way. Just wondering if this might influence badly their development as for sure they can only be loaned to National level clubs.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp-2_-Fixtures7284ef346e567ad4.png

Lightning does not strike twice but this season we were paired again with PSG in the French Cup and as it was to be expected, we lost. It was not a total trashing, as we did had the possession and even some small chances, but my God, do they have a good team. Will be hard for anyone to topple them in the league, Lyon seems to be the only ones who can keep anywhere near them. Still, their biggest dream of Champions League success failed last season.

PSG-v-Guingamp_-Review43f5c0a505ead752.png

So, as noted before we are out of the French Cup at the expense of PSG. But we continue our good performances in the league, and with two wins (including one in the Breton derby against Lorient) and a draw we are sitting in 7th, just below the European places.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixturese5ef97a9d12b9b73.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Review3aec91c71b66e025.png

We got to that time of the year when we got the new youth intake. This year it does not look special at all, with the pick of the crop being the M/AM C Philippe Veretout which is highly rated by our HoYD but does not look that special to me. Probably going to sign the first 5 of them as I don't think the last 2 will ever make it even as backup options. If we survive this season in Ligue 1 (and it certainly looks like we will at this point) maybe we should explore options on the staff market in the summer, to see if we can make significant improvement to our current ones.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox14c8d5f88e1353a1.png

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Youth-Candidates45ee888b3e78a51a.png

We continue the up and down run of results. We lost a lot of matches this period (four of them), but considering that we were lined up with PSG, Marseille, Monaco I cannot be to upset about it. We also played 2 Bretom derbies, losing at Nantes and winning home to Rennes. We are sitting in 6th in the league with 8 games left, and it looks like Europa Conference League could be within our reach.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixtures3914e657fb955c30.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Review4149501d34b8eadb.png

A nice record for a player with bags of experience. The player records I am chasing though are the number of appearances for the club and total league goals, but we are anything near any of them.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox0fede91dffa62d4f.png

On 04/07/2021 at 19:36, Muttley84 said:

Surely not the most inspired thread name. But on the other side, threads are only meant to keep track of progress and share your success (to be read as struggles) with the others on the forum. But for some time I am big fan of playing Football Manager (Touch since the kid appeared into our lives) with added restrictions. Lately I've been toying around with using only players from a certain region (more like the renowned Basque-only policy of Athletic Bilbao), and in this iteration of the game I already had fun with doing it in Lombardy (failed at first with Lecco from Serie C and then was a little more successful with Brescia - won Conference League and qualified for Champions League from Serie A). This time I will be moving to another region with a strong local pride (including traditions, language, customs etc.).

Brittany (or Bretagne in other variants) is a small region situated in the westernmost part of France. Holding a strong component of the Celtic history and background of the region, local inhabitants are not different to most of France when insisting more on their "esprit de clocher" than regional or national levels. For the purpose of this career I will be going with the historical limits of the Bretagne region, which include both the 4 Departments of the region Brittany (Cotes-d'Amour - hence the reference in the title, Finistere, Ille-et-Vilaine and Morbihan) and the department of Loire-Atlantique (situated currently in the region Pays de la Loire). Careers in Bretagne around this forum used to be very popular a while ago, when @breizhdaviken won the tittle with Rennes early seasons in, @nie jem frytek had done the same but with a harder challenge as he managed Carquefou, while @higgins played only a bit with Guingamp before abandoning early on. You can also find some interesting challenges with Brittany as a separate nation on the FM Editors part of the forum (although haven't seen one yet for FM 21). 

FM_Bretagned35621da5f422e45.jpg

The map above depicts the football clubs of Bretagne (might have skipped some lower ones in Championnat National 2 or 3 situated in the Loire-Atlantique. Playing with FM Touch means I am constricted to only out-of-the-box leagues, which are the first three divisions of France. I guess the region could be considered a hot-bed of football in France, as in the season 2020-2021 where we will be starting they had a good representation across the leagues:
- Ligue 1 host no less than 4 teams from Brittany (the highest number of teams), those being: Rennes, Nantes, Brest and Lorient.
- Ligue 2 is currently only represented by Guingamp.
- Championnat National has 2 teams: Concarneau and Stade Briochin.

Now, ideally given the constraints of only playing with players from the Bretagne region I would have liked to start at the bottom level. Unfortunately one is not able to buy a game jersey my size from my country from either Concarneau and Stade Briochin, and that has become a must-have condition for my FM careers the past years (currently around 40 and counting). Therefore I had to move one league up, and had my eyes set on En Avant Guingamp. Also known as Les Guingampais or Les Costarmoricains, the club are coming from the small village of Guingamp (home to only around 7,000 inhabitants). Noticeable is that their stadium Stade de Roudourou can host 19,000 spectators, and given there are no big towns in the immediate proximity, the club are surely punching above their weight. Guingamp has managed to spend 13 seasons in Ligue 1 and their biggest performance is that they managed to win the French Cup in 2009 (as a second level club) and 2014. Both times they defeated in the final fellow Breton club Rennes.

840.png

Career objectives:
- Promote to League 1 in a maximum of 3 seasons
- Build a squad of only Bretons and Academy Products
- Qualify again for an European Competition
- Finish higher than 7th in League 1 (best historical position)
- Have a positive record against Breton clubs (will be tracking this)
- Win another Coupe de France to make it 3 trophies
- Have a player called up to the France NT (Main squad or U21)
- Have a player score more than 69 league goals (current record of Stephane Guivarc'h)
- Have a player with more than 386 appearances (current record of Claude Michel)

Wow just found this thread now. You know i'm a fan of that region and playing / buying from a limited region (i did it last season with Paris FC in Ile De France for some seasons).

I was on holiday in Bretagne and saw almost every stadium this year (or two years ago when i was also on holiday over there).

Going to follow this !

16 hours ago, OlivierL said:

Did you use the editor to edit the regions with a tag ?

Unfortunately playing on FM Touch so no editor for us. I manually made up a list of all municipalities from Bretagne which are present in-game (not that many of them, around 80).

5 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Unfortunately playing on FM Touch so no editor for us. I manually made up a list of all municipalities from Bretagne which are present in-game (not that many of them, around 80).

i love it ! good luck !

An undefeated month of April see us consolidating our 6th position in the table and a possible qualification for European competitions. That would be a fantastic achievement given that we are a newly promoted squad. Just have to hold on to a 2points lead in front of rivals Nantes in the last 3 league games (including Lyon away - our bogey team). Common guys, we ca do this!

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixtures6c8b57e6a5b88075.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Review5d8961a8c2245e7f.png

An excellent achievement, regardless of the outcome! You make want to take a look into Ludovic Blas (might be too expensive) or Pedro Brazao (OGC Nice) both were excellent for me across my save with Les Aiglons. 

10 hours ago, scarp said:

Looks like I was right! Great job :)

Today going to play the last games. Hope I dont screw up your prediction 😁

9 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

An excellent achievement, regardless of the outcome! You make want to take a look into Ludovic Blas (might be too expensive) or Pedro Brazao (OGC Nice) both were excellent for me across my save with Les Aiglons. 

Unfortunately neither of them are eligible for us. Although played a lot for us Blas is born near Paris and Brazao in Lisbon. The sample size of good eligible players is getting smaller as we advance in the career and get better. Might start soon to poach youngsteers after intake from our neighbors.

We only had 3 games left to play in the end of the league. We started with a win 1-0 at home to Metz, but then it went downhill as we lost 1-4 away at Lyon. In the final stage of the league we had 57 points and Lille 56. We couldn't manage to win at home to Strasbourg (actually we kinda deserved to lose it), but lucky for us Lille couldn't either. So we end the league in 6th place, which is both our best position ever in Ligue 1 and the last position ensuring us European football next season. Fantastic achievement considering we are a newly promoted team to League 1.

En-Avant-de-Guingamp_-Fixtures7d59b37175d0d8ff.png

Ligue-1_-Competition-Review74c869a87dcb6434.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox6a4746311c225cbf.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-24c72d1f24a30e028.png

We got close to 10M in prize money for finishing 6th in Ligue 1 and qualifying for Europa Conference League. The Board is not very much impressed by our performance, club culture remains the same (defensively solid football, possession and high-tempo pressing), while expectations are still to fight bravely against relegation while reaching the groups in Europe. Both I guess are do-able, although we need some luck in the UEFA draw also, our coefficient being small. 

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox6700461dc9184666.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-2dddd5d1cd7ab9ccd.png

We Got some changes in the structure of our facilities. The youth development have increased, and in the same time facilities downgraded but we made a board request and they quickly agreed to improve them. So in the long term I guess we could consider this an overall improvement for the club.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-22342d215bb7464b1.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inboxdfa1a113f04597f6.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-32b5e1e873cfb8829.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-4d31a3955a6777c3d.png

Started big spending again even before the reset date. In June we already bought in 6 new players, hoping to construct a squad big enough and good enough for playing in Europe and Ligue 1 in the same time without affecting our performances to much.

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inbox-27283fccffa3e1c39.png

Jeremy-Toulalan_-Inboxeb6df6a92a77ce37.png