Football Manager and Windows 11

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

As the fall out of all the securuty issues that comes with Windows 11 such as TPM and Secure boot rages on. Will SI be allowing Football Manager to continue running on Windows 10 after the offical stopping of security updates from Microsoft which ends in 2025.

I really hope you realise that not everyone who plays FM will be able to afford to buy a new PC to cope with the new OS and will perhaps be willing to allow the game to play on a Linux again as I really do believe alot of users will switch Operation System. 

I am sure that SI will be fully aware of the new OS and any potential issues with it.  I am also not aware of any instances before when the FM game has not been available to users using an older OS, even if that one is not supported by the manufacturer.  Given the worldwide use of W10 currently, ( just under 80% of worldwide users in the computer market ) it is IMO  inconceivable that in 4 years the game would not be able to be run on W10 or earlier versions

21 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I am sure that SI will be fully aware of the new OS and any potential issues with it.  I am also not aware of any instances before when the FM game has not been available to users using an older OS, even if that one is not supported by the manufacturer.  Given the worldwide use of W10 currently, ( just under 80% of worldwide users in the computer market ) it is IMO  inconceivable that in 4 years the game would not be able to be run on W10 or earlier versions

@FrazT Thank you for replying to me. Do you think they'll ever bring a version for Linux back at all ??

At the time that the plug was pulled on Linux, SI stated that the uptake on that version was not commercially worth it, so unless there is a substantial change in the market, personally I cant see it happening.

30 minutes ago, FrazT said:

At the time that the plug was pulled on Linux, SI stated that the uptake on that version was not commercially worth it, so unless there is a substantial change in the market, personally I cant see it happening.

I can definetly see that change when Windows 11 arrives as not everyone can afford a new PC or even upgrade but thank you sir for your answers.

I just yesterday installed Ubuntu dual boot with Windows 10, as a test mostly. But while my PC is not affected by the requirements of Windows 11 i really don't like this scummy practice. I have very basic knowledge of Linux, but installing Ubuntu and steam, was rather easy. Right now i have FM21 loaded running in steam with Proton 6.3-5. I was expecting this to be more hassle and would probably take some performance hit when playing, but i actually feel like the process times when pressing continue have gone slightly down. This is just a feeling though :) but it  has made me quite happy with the "move". My only "problem" is i cant find the folder for all the tactics / Editor data / Graphics and such on the Ubuntu, i can find the folder on my Windows disk, and found the "location" in preference that created a folder in /home/documents in Linux, but if i subscribe to anything on steam i have no idea where it stores it :) i will need to study Linux bit more for that. Somehow all the graphics i had working on Windows are working fine on Linux too.

I really hope they bring back Linux support, but if they don't i am almost certain Proton will be able to run it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 08:36, Birnir Snær said:

I just yesterday installed Ubuntu dual boot with Windows 10, as a test mostly. But while my PC is not affected by the requirements of Windows 11 i really don't like this scummy practice. I have very basic knowledge of Linux, but installing Ubuntu and steam, was rather easy. Right now i have FM21 loaded running in steam with Proton 6.3-5. I was expecting this to be more hassle and would probably take some performance hit when playing, but i actually feel like the process times when pressing continue have gone slightly down. This is just a feeling though :) but it  has made me quite happy with the "move". My only "problem" is i cant find the folder for all the tactics / Editor data / Graphics and such on the Ubuntu, i can find the folder on my Windows disk, and found the "location" in preference that created a folder in /home/documents in Linux, but if i subscribe to anything on steam i have no idea where it stores it :) i will need to study Linux bit more for that. Somehow all the graphics i had working on Windows are working fine on Linux too.

I really hope they bring back Linux support, but if they don't i am almost certain Proton will be able to run it.

This was the location of my FM2019 Files under Ubuntu. If you change 2019 to 2021 you'll probably find all the files you require

/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/872790/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2019/

Location of FM2019 database files re realname fix

/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2019/data/database/db

Location of Preference and Cache Folders

/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/872790/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Local Settings/application Data/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2019/