Match 48: Ukraine vs England - Saturday 8pm (BST) BBC1 LIVE FROM ROME !!!!!

It's another big England game, welcome.

HISTORY

Ukraine are a relatively new FIFA nation, and they have only ever beaten England once, back in 2009 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8293515.stm 

MORE HISTORY

1996 - England 0-0 Spain (England win on penalties).

Spain battered us really, had two perfectly good goals disallowed, a clear penalty not given. And yet. We someone got to penalties and we were good at penalties in 96 so on we went.

2004 - Portugal 2-2 England (Portugal win on penalties)

Early goal from Owen. The turned into a classic Sven era performance where we had no control over the game and Portugal slowly took over. 2-1 down deep in extra time, and Lampard popped up with a rare big goal for England, and then we had an epic penalty shootout that we managed to **** up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEUdZgH0gc

2012 - England 0-0 Italy (Italy win on penalties)

I remember very little about this game tbh :D I remember we had very little in the way of chances, was very much a play for penalties effort at times from Roy. Deserved to go out.

So there you go, an England Euros QF has never not gone to penalties.

TEAM SELECTION

No one really knows what Southgate is going to do, trying to predict feels foolhardy. In Gareth we trust.

FORM GUIDE

England have yet to concede a goal in this tournament. Ukraine are played 4, won 2, lost 2 so far. England are overwhelming favourites for this but...

FEELING NERVOUS YET?

Win this (and this is our one neutral game against the weakest team left in the competition. If Gareth had been granted a wish a month ago it would have been this scenario) and England are in the semi finals. At Wembley. With 60k fans. Against Denmark or Czech Republic. England have done the difficult bit, beaten one of the European elite in a big game, now the path to glory has opened up and it really doesn't get better than this.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Was furious with that Ukraine loss. I really wanted us to 100% that qualifying campaign and Rob Green fecked it. 

Was that stupid game on ppv too

Wasn't Ukraine loss on purpose because it meant Croatia is out?

We bottled it against Ukraine at home, 2-2, but still.

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

No? I mean this is the first I've heard of it. Can't imagine Capello throwing a game. Unless Rob Green was trying to avenge his mate Scott Carson :D

From what I can remember, you fielded reserves and Ukraine won the game without much resistance.

7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

From what I can remember, you fielded reserves and Ukraine won the game without much resistance.

Green, Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole, Lennon (James 15), Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard (Milner 46), Rooney, Heskey (Carlton Cole 72).
Subs Not Used: Bridge, Upson, Barry, Agbonlahor

No, that's pretty much full strength. Only 3 of those didn't start WC opening game. And Rio was only because he got injured

It was Rob Green's sending off really that cost us. 14 mins gone. 

This was peak fun times with Capello though. Somehow convinved me that Heskey, Rob Green and Upson could win us a WC :D

24 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Green, Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Ashley Cole, Lennon (James 15), Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard (Milner 46), Rooney, Heskey (Carlton Cole 72).
Subs Not Used: Bridge, Upson, Barry, Agbonlahor

No, that's pretty much full strength. Only 3 of those didn't start WC opening game. And Rio was only because he got injured

It was Rob Green's sending off really that cost us. 14 mins gone. 

This was peak fun times with Capello though. Somehow convinved me that Heskey, Rob Green and Upson could win us a WC :D

Upson was horrendous against any vaguely physical player.

Ukraine's strength is definitely their midfield. I'd like to see a line-up that matches them in the middle of the park. Score an early goal and I think it will be relatively comfortable. 

Update: Back 4 and Sancho starting apparently :D

Edited by bolton1987

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Sancho? 

I mean, I know England have depth and can play any of their players and still get the win, but why is Sancho, who has barely played, now going to start? Is Saka injured?

There is a report that Saka has picked up a knock, yeah. Ordinarily I would 100% agree with your point, but Sancho is an excellent player and this doesn't weaken the team in the slightest to play him. I'd probably go with Grealish myself but no complaints from me if Sancho starts. 

4 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Sancho? 

I mean, I know England have depth and can play any of their players and still get the win, but why is Sancho, who has barely played, now going to start? Is Saka injured?

plays for United now. 

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

There is a report that Saka has picked up a knock, yeah. Ordinarily I would 100% agree with your point, but Sancho is an excellent player and this doesn't weaken the team in the slightest to play him. I'd probably go with Grealish myself but no complaints from me if Sancho starts. 

I don't think it weakens England at all. That's the beauty of having loads of depth in those positions. I think Sancho is a better player than Saka tbh. But he's not had much match time and seems a bit weird to throw the guy in to a QF. Even if it's against a midrange side and not a big nation, will still be some tension. Can only assume he wants to stick with two fast players out wide. Which also confirms that he sees Rashford as the vice-Kane, otherwise he would surely use him from the start out wide.

25 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Is also good on the right. Southgate may have figured out that shoehorning a better player in Foden on the right is probably worse than playing those that are more comfortable there

Sterling is better on the right anyway.

Play Sterling on the right and Grealish/Foden on the left

2 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

I don't think it weakens England at all. That's the beauty of having loads of depth in those positions. I think Sancho is a better player than Saka tbh. But he's not had much match time and seems a bit weird to throw the guy in to a QF. Even if it's against a midrange side and not a big nation, will still be some tension. Can only assume he wants to stick with two fast players out wide. Which also confirms that he sees Rashford as the vice-Kane, otherwise he would surely use him from the start out wide.

Yeah I think it's tactical and he wants to focus on exploiting width or something. It makes sense to go for width now that Ukraine has switched to 3 CBs (and will probably stick to that since they defended better). Or he wants to pin back Zinchenko by giving him something to worry about.

Or he has the license to play now he's a Utd player. :D

Sancho should be extra motivated to deliver. Probably thought this wouldn't happen after not making bench for first game. Hopefully hungry to nail a spot.

Plus it's good trolling of the Germans and their "Cannot believe Sancho isn't starting". Saving him for the later rounds :brock:

It is amazing that we are talking about Sancho as a potential match winner when he has only played about ten minutes so far. Just shows (again) what a great job Gareth has done building a squad and giving himself so many options.

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

WE’RE PLAYING FOR ENGLAND!

ENGLAND!

WE’RE PLAYING THE SONG!

WE’RE SINGING FOR ENGLAND!

ENGLAND!

ARRIVEDERCI IT’S ONE ON ONE!

You off out to film your Vindaloo video this afternoon?

DJing at 11pm tonight...my set tonight is either me hammered playing World in Motion over and over or me smashing the decks up...either way, it's not going to be pretty 😁😁😁

Edited by Rebs

28 minutes ago, Rebs said:

DJing at 11pm tonight...my set tonight is either me hammered playing World in Motion over and over 

I had World In Motion on the playlist at my wedding :D Although in my defence it was not long before the 2006 World Cup. 

Also when I was best man at my (Scottish) mate’s wedding they asked everyone to RSVP with a song they wanted playing.  Sent in Del Amitri’s “Don’t Come Home Too Soon”.

Speaking of football music, if anyone wants a football mix that'll definitely get them in the mood (for football) then pm me.

Tracklist

FIRST HALF
Fat Les - Jerusalem
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
The Farm - Alltogether Now 2004
Collapsed Lung - Eat My Goal
Bananarama - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
(TV Theme) - World Of Sport
Ant & Dec - We're On The Ball
4-4-2 - Come On England
Andy Williams - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
SECOND HALF
(TV Theme) - Match Of The Day
Fat Les - Vindaloo
EnglandNewOrder - World in Motion
Baddiel & Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions '98
2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This
The Monkees - Daydream Believer
Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
Blur - Song 2
The 5.6.7.8's - Woo Hoo
Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining
The Italian Job vs. De La Soul - Self Preservation Society
EXTRA TIME
England Supporters Band - The Great Escape
DJ Otzi - Hey Baby (Unofficial World Cup Remix)
The Spinners - Football Crazy
England 1970 World Cup Squad - Back Home
Tony Christie - (Is This The Way To) Amarillo (John Faulkner Remix)
U2 - Beautiful Day
Pigbag - Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag
England's Pride - Tom Hark (The Anthem)
The Pogues - Fiesta
Bad Manners - Can Can
PENALTY SHOOT OUT
Gerry & The Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone
Queen - We Are The Champions

No sign of the official England 1998 track either. 

(How Does It Feel To Be) On Top Of The World, recorded by a random “England United” supergroup which had the Spice Girls and Space and Echo and the Bunnymen in it.