Is "form" a thing ? Does it have an impact on performances ?

Hello !

I want to know if we should take into account the ratings of the last 5 games when picking players for the next match ? Are players more likely to perform better if they had great ratings in the last match ?

The same during a game... if a player performed well in the first half will he have more chances to be good in the second ?

To resume my questions: does "form" exists or does it just measures past performances ? Can we guess how a player is going to perform in the next game or is it random ?

Thanks in advance...

Th previous 5 game ratings are just that- a guide to how they have performed historically and it should be one of the criteria that you consider when choosing your team.  There is no guarantee that high ratings will continue and everyone will start from scratch at the start of each game.  I do look at season ratings and if there are 2 players in that position and there is a 0.2/0.3 difference in their season ratings, that will influence me if selecting for a big game.

One other thig to consider that you may have 2 players who have the same average ratings but one is consistent and one is up and down- they may have the same average, but I know who I would want in my team, so you need to look at the form report

One think I notice is that if you have someone playing out of possition or learning a new possition and they have a 6.1 rating they can still score a goal. It happens more often if its a winger, not as often a striker (or a striker playing in the AML/AMR possition with almost no ability to play there). 

• 2 weeks later...

So you think that form doesn't exist ?! That's not a good thing for me ! IRL it seems like it does exist and some player have ups and downs on periods. So, if it does not exist, what's the point of giving us the rating of the last 5 games ?

Is there something like a "random form of the day" ? Are players impacted by how they're performing during a game ? Are players more likely to be good in second half if they were in the first ?

19 minutes ago, dieguitoch said:

So you think that form doesn't exist ?! That's not a good thing for me ! IRL it seems like it does exist and some player have ups and downs on periods. So, if it does not exist, what's the point of giving us the rating of the last 5 games ?

Is there something like a "random form of the day" ? Are players impacted by how they're performing during a game ? Are players more likely to be good in second half if they were in the first ?

Nobody said that form doesn't exist- what has been said is that form ratings alone are not enough for you to jump to any conclusions and you should use these ratings as one of the tools you use to select the team and not as the sole criterion.

4 hours ago, dieguitoch said:

Essentially, what you call form is what is called consistency in FM. That's a random roll to see if your player plays to the best of his abilities in a match. If he is "on form". 

Of course, you can roll to be "on form" and still have a terrible game. AFAIK, each consistency roll is independent from the last one, but I don't think that mechanic has ever been explained in detail.

Form is a non-tangible thing IRL. Arguable FM already does it the same way. What would the alternative be to make it tangible? Most people would despise a certain goal/assist/average rating criteria giving a +1 to speed and acceleration. Rightfully so, it would be extremely gamey and the opposite of what most FM players want.   

Edited by Nacaw

My belief is that morale has greater impact than form. So if you think that a certain players has played poorly, motivate him because that way he'll try to impress you in next match or training session. 

String of 6.8/6.9 performances isn't bad as long as player played decent enough to have place in your squad. That's why my mezzala's and wing-backs can have ratings lower than 7 with me knowing that they were involved enough in attacking/defending. 

And as mentioned earlier - keep an eye on consistency. It can be highlighted in coach report and you can check it in player individual stats. Personally I've had maybe one or two really inconsistent players so it shouldn't be an issue in balanced squad.