Help for setting up "One Touch Pass Control Possession" tactic

Hi all,

I would like my team playing with one touch pass, moving the ball quickly. move the ball horizontally, not usually vertically. Try to tired up the defensive side. 

but at the same time controlling Possession, not making risk passes to loss ball easily.

Here is my key setting, but try to watch the full match, it doesn't get what i want

Team: Chelsea

Mentality : Positive

passing directness: Much Shorter

Tempo: Slightly Higher / Much Higher

Dribble Less

Hold Shap when possesion has been won

===================

1) Am i setting something wrong on my tactic according to what i want ??

2) in terms of "tempo" , does any one has a better explanation than "the game" , Higher Tempo = quicker decision of one touch pass ??

Many Thanks~

From my personal experience mixing short passing with a higher tempo is very hard to get right in football manager.

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your whole tactic including roles and duties 

4 hours ago, tonylam said:

one touch pass, moving the ball quickly. move the ball horizontally, not usually vertically.

To me this suggests a Cautious or Balanced mentality rather than Positive -- which by definition encourages the entire team to be more positive (i.e., more inclined to play aggressive forward passes, make forward runs, etc.) -- plus a higher tempo of play, perhaps with shorter passing.

Whether this can be successful is likely heavily dependent on your choice of formation, roles, duties, and players. Is this an approach that can be successful without players the quality of Xavi and Iniesta? Hard to say.

Edited by Prolix

Yes, you can view tempo as how long a player spends on the ball before potentially making a decision.

You need very good footballers for this style though, and even if you have them, I feel your current proposed settings are too extreme (passing distance + tempo combo) and liable to lead to cheap possession loss.

Reduce 'Take More Risks'. Preferably restrict it to one playmaker or none at all. Occasionally, they will still make long through balls when the situation arises. Even recommended to set 'Take Fewer Risks' on the players manning the backlines.

Use 'Work Ball Into Box' and remove 'Pass Into Space'.

As for 'Get Further Forward' and 'Dribble More', I don't think keeping them on would reduce your possession significantly as long as they are on low risk and non-crowded zones and the player has the ability so they won't easily lose the ball.

Counter-press also helps because you have chance to regain possession earlier. The high intensity required means you usually can't set anything more than 'Positive' mentality or too high tempo.

Dribble less+ higher tempo might be too demanding and sterile that's my experience at least. I'd use dribble less only against teams who defend deep. I'm not a fan of how football looks on higher mentalities without playing with dribble less simply because wide players are able to dribble and gain space too easily. At home against some teams you might pull it off. I really like the combo of balanced mentality + much shorter passing + slightly higher tempo. Without DL. 

21 hours ago, tonylam said:

I would like my team playing with one touch pass, moving the ball quickly. move the ball horizontally, not usually vertically.

On higher mentalities, players will try to force the issue and position themselves to play more vertically. So the first thing you should do is lowering the mentality to balanced or even cautious. In the next step, you want the other team to move while resting your own players on the ball. Therefore you should  use a lower or much lower tempo settings. This will make your players hold onto the ball until they are being pressed by the defenders. If the other team is pressing with more intensity, your players will make quicker decisions to not loose the ball. If the pressing style is less urgent by the other team, your players will hold onto the ball. This will tire out the other team. However, what you are looking for will not score any or just a few goals, this strategy can only be one element of your general match plan.

If you want to score, you need to be more positive, unsettle the defense with a higher tempo and be more direct with the ball, by either dribbling, passing (including corsses) or long range shots.

21 hours ago, tonylam said:

2) in terms of "tempo" , does any one has a better explanation than "the game" , Higher Tempo = quicker decision of one touch pass ??

Tempo is very simple. Its the time your players will spend before making a decision what the want to do with the ball. A higher Tempo will help your team to create space by unsettleing the defensive shape of the other team. However, to exploit the space which was created, your team needs to be more direct and urgent with the ball, by either dribbling, passing or long range shots. Thats why short passing & high tempo feels wrong, because short passes are also simple passes that are not looking to penetrate & exploit space.

You also have to undertand, that a one-tocuh, short passing game doesnt nessecarily need to include "shorter passing". It is primarily about how you set up your roles and duties and what interactions they create.

7 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Thats why short passing & high tempo feels wrong, because short passes are also simple passes that are not looking to penetrate & exploit space.

It occurs to me that additional creative freedom could be helpful within a generally risk-averse system like this to allow your players to choose moments to "break" the play through actions outside of the standard instructions they're given? 

5 hours ago, Prolix said:

It occurs to me that additional creative freedom could be helpful within a generally risk-averse system like this to allow your players to choose moments to "break" the play through actions outside of the standard instructions they're given? 

Yes, creative freedom can help, but a risk averse playing style will always be risk averse, even with more freedom granted.

To really create a threat you often need more than one player for a quick succession of several actions and combinations.

mat least to my experience

Edited by CARRERA

On 01/07/2021 at 00:31, tonylam said:

Hi all,

I would like my team playing with one touch pass, moving the ball quickly. move the ball horizontally, not usually vertically. Try to tired up the defensive side. 

but at the same time controlling Possession, not making risk passes to loss ball easily.

Here is my key setting, but try to watch the full match, it doesn't get what i want

Team: Chelsea

Mentality : Positive

passing directness: Much Shorter

Tempo: Slightly Higher / Much Higher

Dribble Less

Hold Shap when possesion has been won

===================

1) Am i setting something wrong on my tactic according to what i want ??

Many Thanks~

Just to recreate how you want to play, and be reminded you never talked about winning games, so I'm assuming that's not your goal, only recreating the style:

Cautious Mentality, Narrow, Play out of Defence, Much Shorter, Dribble Less, Be More Disciplined (so they won't stray from what you are asking them to do). Work Ball into Box seems too much, but it's an option. I have some doubts on tempo... High tempo will likely increase some risk taking, so more forward passes or even out of play. Lower Tempo won't help with one touch passing. Since this is based on a lower mentality, I would probably risk higher tempo and see how it goes.

I would leave "Take More Risks" PI only for advanced players: either Wingers, F9, CAM,... This way, when you lose the ball you have all your team behind it. Try to have every player on a support duty (maybe with the exception of 1/2 players upfront)