Region/Country-Bound Roles Still Missing in FM? [Football Role Database Project!]

It's been a while since Football Manager introduced a few country-based roles in the game's tactic board. We've all now grown accustomed to the functions and real-life examples of positions and roles such as the Regista, the Enganche, or the Raumdeuter just to name a few.

There are many other roles that are not in the game (and might not even be worth adding, don't get me wrong) and that got me thinking about potential and existing roles that you know about that are linked to some regions (South America, Eastern Europe, etc...) or countries.

Some of them seem to be just translations of already-implemented roles in the game (neuf et demi aka Support Forward aka Trequartista), but I was wondering if something is escaping my knowledge and inviting yall folks to contribute something if you can do so!

This might be part of a personal project I am currently planning and starting to work on in which I plan to create some sort of "Database of Roles" around the world, including brief descriptions, images to show where on the field that role operates, real-life current and historic examples, etc...

Feel free to contribute any information you have, and let's hope we engange into great discussions (with potential messages from people all around the world posting here so we get a much richer outcome!)

I've always hoped for a "Halbraum Libero" - Half Space Libero - a la David Alaba at Bayern - that so many teams playing with a back 3 use now (Azpi at Chelsea). Where the outer men in the back 3 can roam forward rather than just the central player

False 10 in AMCL/AMC/AMCR position is the only one that immediately comes to mind.  

I would also like the sweeper position to return but its dead in modern football so I imagine it'll never be back in game.

1 hour ago, Lordluap said:

I've always hoped for a "Halbraum Libero" - Half Space Libero - a la David Alaba at Bayern - that so many teams playing with a back 3 use now (Azpi at Chelsea). Where the outer men in the back 3 can roam forward rather than just the central player

For FM22, they should just make the Libero role available at LCB & RCB positions in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Lordluap said:

5 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

For FM22, they should just make the Libero role available at LCB & RCB positions in my opinion. 

100000% agree on introducing some king of wide-back role. Not sure if Libero makes the most sense though.

In some corners of the Internet I've used the term "elbow back" to describe this, so interesting to hear the German term.

They should have introduced this back when Sheffield United came up to the Prem- overlapping centre-halfs are basically just an aggressive version of the role Azpilicueta has played for Tuchel/Walker has played for England etc etc.

The closest I've come to replicating is using an IWB on defend. Playing a back three on FM is painful at times because the players tend to form a straight line in build up/possession. We need a role in the LCB/RCB positions that can either be on defend/support/attack and functions as a slightly higher position centre half in build up and then has a variety of behaviour depending on duty/tactics i.e. sometimes acting like a FB, sometimes as an IWB etc. "Wide-back" would be my shout...

Only issue would be if it meant that there would be a hole in your defence- would the match engine be clever enough to get the other two CBs to shuffle over to cover..?

EDIT: Regarding the term elbow back... https://spacespacespaceletter.com/this-is-the-year-of-the-elbow-back/

Edited by Flußkrebs

Some other ideas for roles which clearly exist irl but don't exist in the game:

• Playmaking fullback e.g. Trent Alexander-Arnold. Of course CWB can function like this but it ought to have the ball-attraction and built in risky passing of the other playmakers. Perhaps having Wide Playmaker available from the Wingback position..?
  • Half-space players in the AM slot- Kevin De Bruyne, Havertz, Mount to name but a few, are players which ideally would sit in the position an aggressive Mezzala would find himself in, but in the AM slot. You can only fill this position if you use 3 CAMs- the wider players are what I'm thinking. Perhaps just making the Mezzala role available in the RCAM/LCAM slots, but a half-10 might be another term...

EDIT: I'm an idiot- think that last one is more or less what @NotSoSpecialOne meant by 'false 10'..?

Edited by Flußkrebs

Posted (edited)

What about the Fantasista role? I've seen it quite mentioned everywhere (as in football blogs, etc... talking about Serie A) but, would it make it for a role of its own?

Can anybody from Italy or in the known provide a better idea? How is it different--if at all--from the likes of Enganche or Trequartista, for example?

Edited by okereke

11 minutes ago, Flußkrebs said:

100000% agree on introducing some king of wide-back role. Not sure if Libero makes the most sense though.

It's just that, to my mind, the Libero in game doesn't play like the classical Libero (completely lacks the sweeper component) but otherwise functions in a way that we would want for the wide backs (just not as centrally of course).

On the subject of full-backs, it's becoming more common to see a player who defends as a full-back and then tucks in to form a back 3 in attack. We can only sort of it do it now.

7 minutes ago, okereke said:

What about the Fantasista role? I've seen it quite mentioned everywhere (as in football blogs, etc... talking about Serie A) but, would it make it for a role of its own? Can anybody from Italy or in the known provide a better idea?

Trequartista in the forward position would be a Fantastista.

I just stumbled upon the term Iberian Midfielder to describe the kind of player that became Spain's trademark throughout their dominant four-year span between 08 and 12. Thinking about it, and assigning it a name i think is less regionally-bonded, I think some sort of Maestro role could be interesting to play with.

As i see it (to add some variation to which already exists) this role would force whoever has it to play the way Xavi (the main player I think represents this role) did mostly in his Barcelona heyday. It'd be available in all three midfield lines. The role would make the player move close to the ball, kind of "floating" around the player in possession always trying to stay open for a quick, short pass, while most of the time he would just quickly and safely distribute the ball with the odd long pass to space (depending vision and other attributes). Depending on the player quality, he would position himself better to facilitate passes from teammates, and he will have a quicker response and accuracy to find the next pass and anticipate it. Not much to say about his defensive duties, as I'd just limit it to holding his position and not move around too much, just approaching rivals when they just come his way.

I think there is a way to build this sort of playing role/style with TI/PI/PPF, but if it was a role of its own it should get much better represented in terms of his movement around the ball and his decisions more than anything.

Any thoughts? More ideas for new roles? :P

Isn't that just a roaming playmaker?

Edit: I think I oversimplified what you were describing. While I do think RPM fits the criteria to always show for the ball (this aspect of the playmaker focus isn't talked about enough!) and available with default position in multiple strata, the instruction to take more risks certainly goes contrary to your description.

Edited by Prolix

hace 5 horas, Prolix dijo:

Isn't that just a roaming playmaker?

Ah, as I said it could be the case if tweaked a bit i guess. This Maestro role though I see as a much more "basic" type of player, just a possession keeper and recycler. It'd pretty much be a a guy you use only to move the ball and give the play another chance by restarting the offensive cycle going from one side to the other, or something like that.

What makes it fun though, is the fact that while it seemingly would be easy for pretty much every player to play that dumb-pass role, if played by poor players it might turn to be error-prone or just not so useful (purposeless passes) and take a position in our lineup that is virtually wasted.

Also, precisely because of that last point and as i see it, Maestro might be too good of a name for it. Something in English like Floating Midfielder might work better. Not sure if we would expect this guy to be a "true" playmaker, in the sense of being decisive and a mighty creative man (with high flair, etc...) out there.

• BPD with support/attack duty on both wide and central CB positions.
  • Playmaker FB/WB. 
  • Playmaker on CF position other than Treq.

and a PI which we can set personal tempo for players. Because in real football players don't have the same playing tempo.