I would like you to take a look at these tactics

You have access to a lot more information than we do:

• Which tactic do you primarily use? 
  • What was your rationale for using that tactical approach? (i.e., what are you hoping to see?)
  • Are you using any Player Instructions?
  • What aspects of this vision have been working successfully? 
  • What aspects of this vision have not been working successfully?
  • Do particular tactical "problems" stand out to you when you watch your team play?

I will address the first tactic, as it seems the most "standard" of the 3:

• I don't understand why you are asking the team to cautiously (mentality) move the ball quickly (tempo). I think a more direct passing style is probably what you are looking for -- getting the ball from back to front in fewer touches (correct me if my assumption is wrong). I think there's an important distinction between playing the ball quickly versus playing the ball directly. The tempo description alludes to the intensity of play, which is why I think it's contradictory to tell your team to play cautiously but intensely in a system that's built to defend deep and counter. [Edit: Thinking about it more, Cautious + High Tempo could be a possession-based approach like Spain, but that would require a completely different setup of roles, duties, and instructions.]
  • 2x NCB seems very drastic unless both your CBs are completely devoid of any technical ability/composure. I believe a standard CB on Cautious team mentality and more direct passing (see above) will naturally avoid risky play and look to get the ball to the forwards without doubling down on the instructions that come with the NCB (increased passing directness, Dribble Less, Shoot Less, Take Fewer Risks). (Alternatively, I could see the NCB being useful in a tactical system built around a Balanced mentality -- then you're modifying your expectations of the player instead of the team.)
  • 2 attack duties in central areas makes sense if you are trying to get the ball to the final third aggressively (directly) and are expecting those forward players to do a lot of the attacking. :thup:  However, I'm not sure whether the poacher + attacking midfielder is the best combination. Both roles will try to attack the box, but the poacher is really quite limited in what he will attempt (does not run into channels, does not carry the ball, does not take risks with the ball, plays with less creativity (i.e., more rigidly plays to your tactical system)). I don't see any source of dynamic movement or interplay between the forwards. 
  • With a Cautious approach, your two central players seem to be left to do all the attacking themselves (other than during a counter-attack when the whole team will get very aggressive). The fullbacks will largely sit behind the ball. The BBM by design arrives late/"behind" the play -- it's not a CM-a, although often I think people treat it as such! The IW-s and W-s will both wait to commit to the attacking third and, unless they are given PIs like "take more risks", they are also unlikely to look to play decisively. Perhaps counterintuitively, but I think that you can afford more attacking roles in a Cautious structure (as long as you are judicious about where to use them, of course) -- IW-a and LFB-a, for example. You need to add some more thrust and decisiveness from somewhere.
  • I would keep an eye on whether teams are able to overwhelm you in midfield and the space between the defense and midfield lines. (The CM-d might/should cover the "hole", but it demands a lot of defensive work from your AM to help out your MCR -- perhaps more urgent pressing PI? I'm not totally sure, but it might encourage the player to also press "backwards" when the opposition have the ball in midfield.)
  • Consider using Tighter Marking with the low Line of Engagement to deny passing options without the use of aggressive pressing. Be aware that your players will retain shape for longer with low LOE (they wait longer to "step out" to the player with the ball) at the cost of decreased pressure on opponents in the midfield zone. Be sure that this is the trade off you intend to make.
  • Selecting neither counter-press nor regroup is a valid tactical choice. Be aware that you are choosing to rarely disrupt your opponent's transition into attack (in fact, allowing them all the way into your defensive third before applying pressure -- low LOE).
Edited by Prolix

On 30/06/2021 at 17:11, Prolix said:

I don't understand why you are asking the team to cautiously (mentality) move the ball quickly (tempo). I think a more direct passing style is probably what you are looking for -- getting the ball from back to front in fewer touches (correct me if my assumption is wrong). I think there's an important distinction between playing the ball quickly versus playing the ball directly. The tempo description alludes to the intensity of play, which is why I think it's contradictory to tell your team to play cautiously but intensely in a system that's built to defend deep and counter. [Edit: Thinking about it more, Cautious + High Tempo could be a possession-based approach like Spain, but that would require a completely different setup of roles, duties, and instructions.]

Thanks! Yes. As you pointed out, I'm trying to play like that. I've already changed what you suggested and it seems quite logical tbh! Thanks again, let's see...

Also, you was right too, that tactic is the one I'm trying to use the most of. Together with the one with defensive mentality. As always, the season kicked off splendid beating a team in the upper league 3-0, for instance, but after a few games the team began to underperform. I will shortly run out of bottles to throw if the team keeps losing...

Edited by TaPele

Ha! It's funny too that almost twice in a week a player of mine gets injured, it's getting to a point where it's better to laugh than cry maybe... Last week it was my two best players. It's bloody upsetting