Match 43: England vs Germany. 5PM (BST) BBC1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!

Coulthard's Jaw

Germany aren't producing fullbacks. That's not something that's easy to solve. I think Klostermann is their rightback, the RB Leipzig guy.

Personally I think they would have been better going with him or Kimmich at rightback in a four, and then going from there. Rather than changing formation because there's no elite fullback. Klostermann plays Champions League football, and although that doesn't mean he's amazing, might as well use him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Germany aren't producing fullbacks. That's not something that's easy to solve. I think Klostermann is their rightback, the RB Leipzig guy.

Personally I think they would have been better going with him or Kimmich at rightback in a four, and then going from there. Rather than changing formation because there's no elite fullback. Klostermann plays Champions League football, and although that doesn't mean he's amazing, might as well use him.

Kimmich must play as a defensive midfielder. He is a total waste as a right back, so thats a no-no for Flick hopefully. And  go for Ginter as a right back as he is 10 times better than Klostermann.

Edited by Carambau

I think he's brilliant at rightback. Bayern won the Champions League with him playing there. Under Flick as well. Obviously he's great as a midfielder too. But if Germany have more options in central midfield than rightback, then needs must and I think they should keep him at rightback until there's someone better. At the very least he's going to be backup rightback because I have no idea who is behind Klostermann.

34 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I think he's brilliant at rightback. Bayern won the Champions League with him playing there. Under Flick as well. Obviously he's great as a midfielder too. But if Germany have more options in central midfield than rightback, then needs must and I think they should keep him at rightback until there's someone better. At the very least he's going to be backup rightback because I have no idea who is behind Klostermann.

He did, but that's only because Pavard was out. Kimmich has played the vast majority of his games under Flick in midfield. 

9 hours ago, Razzler said:

The game seemed likely to turn on a moment, we have had these moments not go our way plenty, like that Mueller miss, 

Pretty fine margins

Werner should have done better but it was still a big save by Pickford

The red card

Mueller's miss

I mean, the girl crying was kind of funny to me in a sense of "heh, we've all been there" and don't really have an issue with people cheering/laughing about it at the time. But what the hell is with some of these absolute freaks ffs :D 

my first response would be "it's Twitter/social media and they know there won't be any consequences for it because social media companies have no interest in taking away anonymity on their platforms as they know there will be no traffic if they did so"

just the way people are, unfortunately

9 minutes ago, TM said:

it's Twitter/social media and they know there won't be any consequences for it because social media companies have no interest in taking away anonymity on their platforms as they know there will be no traffic if they did so"

Half of them use their real names and pictures of their faces tbf. Most of these idiots are too stupid to consider stuff like anonymity.

They think posting on social media is a ‘free hit’ and isn’t the same as saying and acting that way in person. But yes that’s because social media providers allow it to go unchallenged.

schadenfreud

At first glance I read the one from Jaaack and the text one from Stuart, as being sarcastic and saying it wasn't a great thing to be laughing at a crying kid.  Funny how you can read things differently.  

The one calling her the s word is particularly troubling (along with the one from Stuart if meant at face value)

Edited by martinji

Just now, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

When the ugliness comes out in defeat you can blame it on the hurt and disappointment. When it comes out in victory it just shows the true character.

If you're having a go at children, it shows your character regardless. 

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Naw, I don't blame elated ppl in a pub laughing at a crying child on the telly. That's all good and I think it would in fact be really strange if the mood suddenly soured when seeing those images.

There's a pretty big difference between laughing in a pub and some of the comments made about her and/or her family on social media. 

I usually find adults crying over football pretty hilarious regardless of who they support but i think anyone with a mental age over 16 will agree that finding a 9 year old girl crying funny and calling her things like **** is just actually pretty ****ing weird. Just a weekly reminder that some football fans are the absolute dregs of society really.

4 hours ago, XuluBak said:

That's such a bizarre stat. 

Flick could go a few different directions, so Muller might be out, or maybe not. Muller had a resurgence under him at Bayern and I'd expect Flick to play more progressive football than Low. The shorter turnaround on Qatar could also play a factor on him staying in the squad.

If I were in Flick's position, the first thing I'd do is move Kimmich inside and figure out my RB/RWB situation. Such a waste. 

Klinsmann was asked about him pre match yesterday, what he'd do with him in terms of where he'd play him and he said he'd use him as a no.6 fwiw. 

He's one of those really smart tactical players with very good technicals etc so could perform to a high standard in two or three different positions. 

Edited by craigcwwe

Kimmich was needed as RB because of the Klostermann injury. Sure, he's more valuable in midfield, but there are a lot of other players who can play that part. I mean, simply judging by their form for their club, Kroos, Gündogan, Goretzka, and Havertz all should be starting. Gündogan got rightfully dropped after a poor showing in the group stage, but are you going to drop Goretzka or Havertz (assuming Kroos is untouchable) to make room for Kimmich and then put someone like Ginter on the right?

Wenger nailed it before the tournament and it's why Löw should have gone awhile ago. Flick will bring Germany back some belief and tactical nous again.

image.png.1ef8700f9fbe9a2372aab912cf3f7c43.png

In his parting press conference, Löw said the squad didn't have enough time to gel for the tournament and that other nations have more stability because they've settled on a squad and system for a longer time. Didn't mention that that's 100% on him. Nobody asked him to throw out Müller, Hummels and Boateng and then reactivate two of them a month before a major tournament. Nobody asked him to then fudge with the 4 in the back Germany used for the past couple of years to accommodate Hummels. The system isn't even that bad, but the squad clearly wasn't very used to it.

3 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Klinsmann was asked about him pre match yesterday, what he'd do with him in terms of where he'd play him and he said he'd use him as a no.6 fwiw. 

He's one of those really smart tactical players with very good technicals etc so could perform to a high standard in two or three different positions. 

Absolutely. You could put him just about anywhere and he'd be a good player, but he's a WC-elite #6. The few weaknesses he has are more limiting at RB/RWB than inside. 

As for the young German fan - there's really too different things going on there. Laughing at her while drinking beer at a pub might not be perfect behaviour, but I can understand that being funny and no big problem there IMO.

The people calling her names or mentioning Auschwitz should really get their heads checked though :rolleyes: