Match 43: England vs Germany. 5PM (BST) BBC1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!

Just now, Pukey said:

Agreed, though I don't see it as "negative" as such. It's certainly risk averse, but it's with a clear plan to try and win the game too. It's not quite sticking 11 men behind the ball and hoping for the best type of negative.

I don't mind pragmatic play, just not when it increases the pressure on us

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Agreed, though I don't see it as "negative" as such. It's certainly risk averse, but it's with a clear plan to try and win the game too. It's not quite sticking 11 men behind the ball and hoping for the best type of negative.

In some respects playing for penalties against Germany is the boldest strategy imaginable ;)

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Southgate's interview :( Talling about seeing Dave Seaman in the crowd and knowing he let him down in 96 and hoping this makes up for it.

What a bloke. 

Didn't beat Germany 8-0 so he's actually *****.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Oh for sure, England were pretty ruthless in exposing Germany's wingbacks and wide defenders without every really exposing their own. 

9 minutes ago, titchuk said:

Very pleased to come on here and the first post I see is some praise for Shaw which I haven't seen elsewhere :thup: Big big part of both goals.

He's been really good all tournament, in attack and defence

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I don't mind pragmatic play, just not when it increases the pressure on us

Felt like Grealish coming on was decisive, he changed the game.

Imo, he has to start in the QF, whoever you play they'll just focus on defense and you'll need more creativity than today.

Either him or Foden should start.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Felt like Grealish coming on was decisive, he changed the game.

Imo, he has to start in the QF, whoever you play they'll just focus on defense and you'll need more creativity than today.

Either him or Foden should start.

Mount will return tbh which is fine. And I'm not sure we will stay 3-4-3 in the QF given the opposition.

Shaw just kept increasing the pressure second half, down that left. Would like to see Foden in front of him for the QF

3 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

He couldn't even make it through the rest of the game before it continued.

I've just gone through a bit of the thread and I think you said that he makes things happen, before a load were saying that he should come off

5 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I've just gone through a bit of the thread and I think you said that he makes things happen, before a load were saying that he should come off

I'm very wise.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Am still trying to work out how Muller missed.

he's never scored in 15 European Championship games so that's probably why :D

10 in the World Cup, never scored in the Euros

• SI Staff

Had to stay out of the thread and stay offline as iPlayer is always behind. But what a game. First half was cagey but the Grealish sub was a master stroke. Thought Saka was causing Rudiger problems and did a good job. 
 Watching Gareth I thought he was quite emotional though holding it back somewhat. Need to keep going as Saturday in Rome is going to be tough. 

So so proud and absolutely buzzing. 

5 minutes ago, cyclonus1010 said:

I never take Whoscored ratings system seriously but they had Maguire as MOTM ffs :lol:

2 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Maguire was fantastic. Definitely a contender for MOTM

What Ajw10, he was very, very good tonight

10 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Run out of upvotes for the first time ever.

****ing love you all.

Really excited for the next few tournaments. Saka and Bellingham should be big names in the team, along with the likes of Foden and Mount. From an Arsenal POV Smith Rowe could be an interesting addition, especially as he's Mason Mount like in his pressing

Feels nice to have a group of players that are likeable and good. I used to find it hard to "connect" with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes whereas I genuinely want Rashford and Sterling to do well.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

What Ajw10, he was very, very good tonight

Stones looks like a better player alongside him and having two CB's that can pass and dribble is massive. Maguire made some vital interceptions too

Just now, ajw10 said:

Really excited for the next few tournaments. Saka and Bellingham should be big names in the team, along with the likes of Foden and Mount. From an Arsenal POV Smith Rowe could be an interesting addition, especially as he's Mason Mount like in his pressing

Feels nice to have a group of players that are likeable and good. I used to find it hard to "connect" with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes whereas I genuinely want Rashford and Sterling to do well.

I think Smith Rowe will be starting by the time the World Cup comes around, exactly the sort of attacker this side needs.

2 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Maguire was fantastic. Definitely a contender for MOTM

All three centre backs were, weren’t they. They played exactly how you’d want each of them to play. Stones composed with and without the ball, Maguire dominant in the air and bringing the ball out well, Walker covering the lack of pace of the other two… it’s all coming up England.

Him and Stones were immense. 

I thought Walker was the pick of the three, but all were exceptional. Of the starters I thought Rice had a dodgy first 45, Kane was Kane and Trippier seemed sloppy. The rest I thought were excellent

Just now, Smallen said:

All three centre backs were, weren’t they. They played exactly how you’d want each of them to play. Stones composed with and without the ball, Maguire dominant in the air and bringing the ball out well, Walker covering the lack of pace of the other two… it’s all coming up England.

Yes. I think Walker is really underrated. He's such a good defender that uses his pace to his advantage, rather than just a pace merchant 

4 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I think Smith Rowe will be starting by the time the World Cup comes around, exactly the sort of attacker this side needs.

Yeah. It's incredible when you think of the options we have for those attacking options. Greenwood will play a big part too. Smith Rowe could benefit from playing regularly with Saka too. 

15 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I still don't know if Kane is properly fit or not, but he was doing much better things in the second half.

Just gotta pray his goal is the spark for him now. Can't rely on Raheem to score all our goals

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Just gotta pray his goal is the spark for him now. Can't rely on Raheem to score all our goals

Saka scores the winner in the final

7 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Yes. I think Walker is really underrated. He's such a good defender that uses his pace to his advantage, rather than just a pace merchant 

Walker makes errors occasionally because he takes a lot of risks. People tend to remember the dodgy moments but he is a brilliant player. Even with the ball I think he’s the most likely to break lines out of anyone in the back 3 or midfield 4; something we need in that system.

2 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Walker makes errors occasionally because he takes a lot of risks. People tend to remember the dodgy moments but he is a brilliant player. Even with the ball I think he’s the most likely to break lines out of anyone in the back 3 or midfield 4; something we need in that system.

The development under Pep is insane, which shows how intelligent Walker is 

There's something special about having an ex-player as manager isn't there? He gets it.

Especially someone with his emotional intelligence 

4 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

There's something special about having an ex-player as manager isn't there? He gets it.

I know people mock Ole and those kind of managers going back.

But I've always thought I'd love to see one of Leicester's Pearson/Ranieri/Rodgers era players come back as manager one day in 10-15 years time who really "gets" what the club's current golden era is all about.