Match 43: England vs Germany. 5PM (BST) BBC1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Southgate's pragmatic tactics are starting to look pretty smart. It might not be the dazzling football some people want to see, but I don't think Switzerland would have given England the trouble they caused France. 

The very thing some England fans have taken issue with could be the thing that wins them the tournament. 

Wasn't so much the lack of dazzling football, but not being able to play when we should ( like against Scotland), we don't kill teams off when we get the upper hand

Putting maguire at LCB and shaw at left wing back, is going to be a disaster and play into germany's hands. Slow pace of maguire will no doubt be targeted whilst shaw has a knack for letting players cross and giving them the extra yard and that's their forte. Unless England play a lower defensive line it could end up being a barrage of attacks down the left. 

14 minutes ago, arenaross said:

They would all be huge misses for Germany.  Gosens in particular has been very good.  You know gents, it could very well all be coming up England!

The Kane debate is an interesting one.  Pretty much every pundit saying he will come good and I completely get the reasoning.  However, plenty of them were saying the same thing about Mbappe.  Gary Neville even said it in the second half of extra time!  Sometimes it just isn't your tournament and it will be interesting to see what Southgate does if he struggles again tonight.  Maybe the rumoured 343 formation will help him.

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

Putting maguire at LCB and shaw at left wing back, is going to be a disaster and play into germany's hands. Slow pace of maguire will no doubt be targeted whilst shaw has a knack for letting players cross and giving them the extra yard and that's their forte. Unless England play a lower defensive line it could end up being a barrage of attacks down the left. 

Germany won’t have the ball enough to attack.

7 minutes ago, Jorg said:

They would all be huge misses for Germany.  Gosens in particular has been very good.  

Gossens had one good game against Portugal. In the other 2 he was anonymous most of the time, as he was in his national team career before.

People tend to overhype players after one good game lately.

Gundogan wont be a "huge" miss either as Goretzka can fill that role far better. Gundogan did nothing in the tournament so you wont feel his absence at all. 

Rudiger would be a bigger miss. Man if anyone told me before the tourney that I´d miss Rudiger I´d have laughed him in his face :) 

Edited by Carambau

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Germany won’t have the ball enough to attack.

You see, I can't honestly tell if you're being serious or not :D

Either good bait or an awful thing to say :lol:

2 minutes ago, Carambau said:

You can say anything against Germany, but not that they "won´t have the ball enough" in football. LOL

You simply don’t have midfielders with the quality or ability of Declan Rice and Kalvin Phillips, I’m afraid.

I think we should all spend the rest of the day praying for Harry Kane to find his scoring boots. 

I mean I hate the **** in a Tottenham shirt but he has my full support when the 3 lions are on his chest.

3 minutes ago, Carambau said:

Gossens had one good game against Portugal. In the other 2 he was anonymous most of the time, as he was in his national team career before.

People tend to overhype players after one good game lately.

Gundogan wont be a big miss as Goretzka can fill that role far better. Gundogan did nothing in the tournament so you wont feel his absence at all. 

Rudiger would be a bigger miss. Man if anyone told me before that I´d miss Rudiger I´d have laughed him in his face :) 

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion of course but I politely disagree.  Gosens has had a brilliant season with Atalanta, scoring 11 goals in 32 games and helping them to 3rd place in Serie A.  I think he has looked dangerous in all the games so far and I don't think they have a player that could come in and do the same job.  They would miss the experience of Gundogan and he also knows the English players very well.  

2 minutes ago, Jorg said:

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion of course but I politely disagree.  Gosens has had a brilliant season with Atalanta, scoring 11 goals in 32 games and helping them to 3rd place in Serie A.  I think he has looked dangerous in all the games so far and I don't think they have a player that could come in and do the same job.  They would miss the experience of Gundogan and he also knows the English players very well.  

I was not talking about his Atlanta performances but his performances for the national team and there he has been underwhelming apart from that one Portugal game. I agree that the team does not have a better player in his position though.

Gundogan: What benefit does it have if he knows the players but does not know how to handle them? Goretzka would be a far better choice imo.

Edited by Carambau

3 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

If Southgate is clever here, he tells different people different teams, then when they make it into the press, he knows whos told who what 

Now that's the kind of sh*thousery i'm down for just before a big game :D

5 minutes ago, Carambau said:

I was not talking about his Atlanta performances but his performances for the national team and there he has been underwhelming apart from that one Portugal game. I agree that the team does not have a better player in his position though.

Gundogan: What benefit does it have if he knows the players but does not know how to handle them? Goretzka would be a far better choice imo.

Yeah but Gosens has only played 10 games for Germany so you could argue he is still finding his feet in international better.  I haven't been as impressed with Gundogan in a Germany shirt so it would be interesting to see Goretzka get the nod.  Goretzka has a surprisingly good strike rate as well.

2 minutes ago, arenaross said:

I had a dream last night that this finished 2-2- and went to penalties. Sadly I woke up before the fictional shoot-out could take place in my subconscious. 

I won't spoil the ending then but.....  :D

4 minutes ago, arenaross said:

I had a dream last night that this finished 2-2- and went to penalties. Sadly I woke up before the fictional shoot-out could take place in my subconscious. 

Let me guess, Gazza got on the end of a lovely run and pass from Grealish? 

35 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Seemed pretty clear days ago that this was going to be the shape in the biggest games. Possibly Saka in for Foden. Possibly Henderson for Rice if they think he’s ready to do 90+ minutes.

No Grealish even though he would be demanding the ball already, a full seven hours before kickoff.

Edited by Rob1981

This might sound utterly stupid but for a game like tonight the team almost feels irrelevant (of course it isn't). There are so many different dynamics at play here. 

I'm just pleased he's changing the system, which wasn't working from an attacking sense. He's essentially gambling on us creating more without reducing our rigidity.

Germany to win 3 - 1. 
England will score first, Germany to get the equalizer before halftime, then go on to score 2 more in the 2nd half. 
Like I predicted, Spain to win the entire tournament. 
If any of you work in News, you can call that in right now

2 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Germany to win 3 - 1. 
England will score first, Germany to get the equalizer before halftime, then go on to score 2 more in the 2nd half. 

Scoring early might be the worst thing for us. Seen it too many times. Germany 96, Argentina 98, Portugal 2000, Brazil 2002, France 2004, Portugal 2004, USA 2010, Iceland 2016, Croatia 2018. All of these big games we have been ahead early on and then just can’t manage the game.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Scoring early might be the worst thing for us. Seen it too many times. Germany 96, Argentina 98, Portugal 2000, Brazil 2002, France 2004, Portugal 2004, USA 2010, Iceland 2016, Croatia 2018. All of these big games we have been ahead early on and then just can’t manage the game.

Are the stats for games you've conceded first any better though? 

4 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

Are the stats for games you've conceded first any better though? 

I can’t think of any big games where we came from behind and actually won :D 

The Germany 5-1 game I suppose although had they still had the last laugh by qualifying anyway and getting to the final after we had gone out in the quarters.

Actually, the Croatia group decider at Euro 2004 we came from 1-0 down to win 4-2.

Just know in the really big ones if we have scored too early we end up defending for the entire game and coming unstuck. Although maybe we have a disciplined enough team that we can actually hold a lead.

Nobody on the socials is talking about the fact we have only conceded one goal in nine games, only that we are supposedly shaky at the back. And that Pickford and Stones each have a guaranteed blunder in them obvs, even though neither have really put a foot wrong for England in the big games.

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Southgate's pragmatic tactics are starting to look pretty smart. It might not be the dazzling football some people want to see, but I don't think Switzerland would have given England the trouble they caused France. 

The very thing some England fans have taken issue with could be the thing that wins them the tournament. 

Pragmatic tactics has already led to Portugal and France being dumped out?

4 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Barney Ronay highlights the fact that all the goals conceded by Germany have had similar supply lines. Long diagonal passes into space down the channels #vulenerable

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jun/28/understated-england-have-the-tools-to-pull-off-historic-victory

So we need Henderson to go full Gerrard?