Not smart enough to get 3 at the back running - please help!

Hi all,

I am trying to achieve a possession based 3 at the back tactics since weeks, but it does not work good. Seeing a lot of teams using the 3 defender formation during European Championship made me more want this tactic to work.

Some General thoughs about my tactic:

1. I tried to use TI to keep posession, but also used some instructions with more risk to lose the ball (e.g. Counter, More Creative Freedom), the approach behind this is to also generate some chances by quick transition or surprising moves.

2. Midfield: I am playing with 2 CM and 2 CAM - generally my assumption is that BTB goes forward and more or less overlaps the ap in front of him to create surprising moves. Same Idea for CAM being an AM with attach role: I hoped he would move into channels next to the striker.

3. No overlapping: I understand these instructions that players on the wings are being overlapped. As I don´t use Wingers, IF and no MEZ, I am expecting overlapping is not working very well. The opposite instruction, Underlapping, was never very clear to me - do you think it would help:-)?

4. High Line: for me possession still means to win the ball up in the front and as I have 3 offensive players I think that should be fine.

Please see below my tactic and I would be very thankful to hear your thoughts about this.

Cheers

grafik.png.3ad45aeab1cf6535cb97b302ec01b7de.png

Hello, I have not tested this tactics and set up but if you like you can try it out and see if it works or how you like it. It is based on possession and build-up. I have back 3 so, it gives us a superiority but the one CB is operating as IWB/FB(D) the key thing is he is supposed to be in the half space and trying to bring the ball out of defense. I have permanent width created by the two WM(A) to fixate the fullbacks and create space in the Interior or middle. F9 and T both will give great mobility between the lines and try to find the WM into space. CM(S) should be good dribbler and would be allowed to dribble to destabilise opponents structure or block. You can give it a try and let me know and most teams are using something like that 

Screenshot_20210624-152022.png

21 minutes ago, mcpay said:

@CARRERAThey are not winning back posession as fast as I like although I use Gegenpress.

Did you try to be more physically aggressive with tighter marking / get stuck in? Pressing just preassures the player on the ball to force him into mistakes by making faster decisions. It does not really make your players actually engage

Edited by CARRERA

8 minutes ago, mcpay said:

@carrera

i tried with tighter marking, but it didn´t work. i am not a fan to use get stuck in due to the amount of yellow cards received

Well there is always a trade-off. If you are not willing to actually engage, you have to soley rely on your pressing or allow the other team more time on the ball if you cant preassure them enough to actually make mistakes. A higher mentality could also help your team being more aggressive in defense, however this will also affect your attacking play.

It's not quite the same formation, but if your main focus is just a 3-man defence and decent possession, this is what I'm currently using.  21 games into my first season at Villa and we're averaging 54% possession:

Formation.png.e4561f1ab3240d0825583fbb9134ace4.png

Outside CDs:  Stay Wider
WM-A: Roam from Position
WM-S: Stay Wider

Against more defensive teams or games where I'm already doing okay for possession, I turn off Counter, and add Counter-Press and Overlap Right.

Here's the Analyst report, too

Analyser.png.121a1efa8e95592f2e23a1c07a434112.png

Change to BWM in centre midfield if u have one and tell him to get further forward like Kante and DLP(D) and Left back to WM(A) to press higher? Tell the outside centre backs to get wider and maybe put mark tighter on them and see how does that work?

Someone shared a link on another thread. I found a sub-link within that link that could be of relevance to you.

https://www.rdftactics.com/post/video-belgiumtacticalanalysis-fm21tactic

He had success, but almost everyone on the team set to hard tackle. On team level, it is a counter attacking tactic rather than possession based, but you can get some inspiration from individual player setups.

Edited by jeerinho

I used a 5-3-2 with Bolton in FM20 pretty effectively which might be of use in retaining possession. Pulling back one of the AMCs into the middle will give more defensive solidity and can tend to overwhelm the opposition centre, meaning more mistakes and more turnovers for your team.

532.png