Match 38: Italy vs Austria 8PM (BST) BBC One live from WEMBLEY !

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy do everything right but forget to score. I think they will run Autria ragged in the second half. 

8 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

I’d like to see Alaba in midfield. Wasted out at LB for a guy of his ability.

So you want to move him away from the position from where he actually did anything, back to where he started out for Austria during the tournament and did absolutely nothing at all? If you want Austria to make it easier for Italy just say so out loud!

Would I be being too cheeky in suggesting that this half reminded me a bit of the first half of England v Scotland?

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

It was daft in this particular instance, but the rule itself is completely understandable and overall very beneficial no matter how many times people and pundits whinge about it.

It’s probably worth keeping, but it needs common sense. I don’t like it being used when it’s so obvious.

Just now, ryan045 said:

It’s probably worth keeping, but it needs common sense. I don’t like it being used when it’s so obvious.

That sounds all well and good until a linesman "uses common sense" and gets it wrong and costs a team a clear chance at a goal. 

4 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

So you want to move him away from the position from where he actually did anything, back to where he started out for Austria during the tournament and did absolutely nothing at all? If you want Austria to make it easier for Italy just say so out loud!

Fair enough. I just think he’s better centrally because he’s so good on the ball. He doesn’t seem a LB to me.

9 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Found those comments weird when the commentator kept saying how Alaba was wasted at LB in one of their group games. That's his natural position for most of his career? This is international, elite football, you can't just start putting your best players up front ffs :D 

Royal Blood must be making a packet off the "England camp" things for BBC, seems to always be their songs in the background :D

9 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Awful half. Italy won't win the Euro's after a performance like that!

What's awful about it? 

Italy is playing it safe at the back, keeping the ball but the chance creation isn't working out very well. Eventually they'll get better chances and probably a goal. 1-0 or 5-0, doesn't matter, it's win or go home anyway. I see Italy scraping a late 1-0 win to give the 26th June Austr-(al)-ia anniversary going for a reminder of how you win international tournaments :D 

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

It's only fair to show the winners of the tournament and only remaining home nation imo.

To win this tournament, you need to win 4 knockout games.

You won one in the entire history. On penalties.

Just now, TM said:

Royal Blood must be making a packet off the "England camp" things for BBC, seems to always be their songs in the background :D

Wolf Alice are probably raking it in too. And Chvrches whenever Scotland were playing.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

You can prove anything with facts. It's coming home :mad:

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

?

We've won 7 post 1966. 

This is not a brag, it's a terrible record. 

4 minutes ago, Haguey said:

It's only fair to show the winners of the tournament and only remaining home nation imo.

Wales will be pleased to be out, considering they aren't a part of Europe

Just now, craigcwwe said:

?

We've won 7 post 1966. 

This is not a brag, it's a terrible record. 

In Euros, it's only been the 1996 Spain game, 0-0 then pens iirc

I really, really don't think it matters about our record in knockout tournaments when most of the squad have only been involved in 1 tournament before, if that. 

5 minutes ago, Yuko said:

In Euros, it's only been the 1996 Spain game, 0-0 then pens iirc

Spain had a goal wrongly chopped for offside in extra time if I remember correctly as well ;)

Edited by TM

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

Cannot believe we are going to beat Austria in the final only for it not to actually count as you need to beat a big nation to win it :(

It's the same way people dismiss Greece and Leicester's trophies, as it doesn't count if everyone else fails miserably.

Would have been the same for England in Russia too.

3 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

Does Mancini not rate Chiesa? 

Chiesa hasn't really done much for Italy tbf. One goal in well over 20 caps (16 full games worth in terms of minutes) isn't a good return.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Chiesa hasn't really done much for Italy tbf. One goal in well over 20 caps (16 full games worth in terms of minutes) isn't a good return.

Still time for a Sterling-esque renaissance