The Big Clubs and Micromanagement

All my FM games in recent years have been with small clubs.  I aim to move my way to a big club, but free time has always meant a new version had come out before I've  got very far.  I've  had more time over the last year, and for the first time may career is progressing, I'm now (mid 2030s) at Millwall who seem to have a rich investor.  The board are letting me increase staff numbers every time I ask, and I'm  putting together a very promising and quite large youth squad as well as having depth in my first team.

Being used to a couple of coaches and the smallest squad possible, I'm finding it a bit unwieldy.  I know how to delegate, just never had to think about it before, so my question is, do people running big clubs delegate staff contract renewal, youth training etc, or do you take the time to micromanage?  And if I do delegate, do assistants make mistakes I need to look out for and correct?

I know at the end of the day it's 100% down to what I've got the time and inclination to do, but I'm interested in how experienced big club managers look after their big squads and coaching teams.

I delegate all training ( apart from an odd specific area of concern for a particular player) the reserve and under 18 squads ( apart from team selection for very important games), all press conferences apart from before a CL game, tunnel chats and youth intake.

I do individual training and all contract negotiations (staff & player).

I don't do any press conferences as that is what I get my DoF to do to earn his money.

According to my responsibilities page, I am responsible for 66 tasks and my staff is responsible for 31.

I delegate a lot. All training (with the exception of individual training for highly promising players), staff hiring/firing, youth contract renewals (I still do the 1st team myself though), tactical briefings, most press conferences etc.

Training wise, I put together training schedules in FM19 and have imported them into FM21 - I always take the time to manually put them in as I love the developing youth part of FM.  I don't enjoy the larger number of press conferences you get when you become a bigger club, so I delegate those.  So I would say if there are parts of the game you don't enjoy - delegate.  If you enjoy them - keep control.

If I'm starting out low-level with limited badges, I realistically delegate much of the responsibility because at that level most clubs wouldn't expect me/allow me to have absolute control over every aspect of the club's functioning. As I progress upwards, I'll sometimes take those responsibilities on as I mold my own club vision. And then, once I reach the top level and the club has the budget, I hire fully-qualified staff to take many of those responsibilities on so I can concentrate on winning, becoming a continental force, and burnishing my legacy. I DO generally hold final contract approval on all signings because sometimes your DoF/GM thinks you need 5 mid-range goalkeepers. 

10 hours ago, ThunderCelt said:

Thank you all, it seems there are as many different ways of doing things as there are FM players, and no 'best' way, so I'll take @duesouth's advice and concentrate on the more enjoyable bits.

Yeah defo delegate things you don't enjoy or don't fit in with your roleplay. For example I delegate transfer negotiations to my DoF for realism reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

The larger the club, the more you need to delegate. Delegate as much as possible: junior squads contracting, staff contracting, etc. A rich club can absorb the stupid decisions your AI staff will make, a small club will suffer more.

As said, delegate what you don't like and has minimal impact on your club's finances and performance. Manage all the rest you like or is important.