Group Stage best eleven (Globo Esporte)

PMLF

yeah, wtf is Alaba doing there? His best game was against the Ukraine when he played LB. There were a number of better DCs, like Andreas Christensen, Dedryck Boyata, Daley Blind, or even John Stones. Ward also didn't have the best game against Italy I thought, so I'd pick Robin Olsen or Stole Dimitrievski in goal.

I guess it's hard to shoehorn him in, but Frenkie de Jong is missing here. I think a lot of people are missing how incredibly well he has played. 

I think I would have de Jong instead of Pogba or Locatelli but won't really complain either way. All 3 of them have been great.

Alaba of course shouldn't be there and I felt Christensen was generally better than Kjaer for Denmark.

Edited by Darius1998

10 minutes ago, DJ said:

I guess it's hard to shoehorn him in, but Frenkie de Jong is missing here. I think a lot of people are missing how incredibly well he has played. 

Problem (not really a problem at all), is that De Jong is too subtle. Give him another game or two and people will add him to their lineup.

Wouldn't say that they're wrong though, he's just not suited to team of the tournament.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

would go for something like this myself:

Olsen;
Lainer, Christensen, Stones, Spinazzola;
Locatelli, Jorginho, Pedri;
Wijnaldum, Pogba;
Lukaku

does feel a bit weird to omit the top scorer in the competition so far, but it does feel a bit like a Harry Kane situation from the last world cup, wherein if you were to ignore the penalties, his contributions haven't actually stood out *that* much. Could include Lewandowski instead but I think in general we've seen midfielders stand out more than strikers so far.

48 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Has Cristiano actually done alot in open play?

But considering how many penalties has been missed, guess he's up there

I think he's done well until the last game. Vs France he was so painful to watchful in openful play, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he ruined every single move.

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

Why was Lainer even mentioned? And not once, twice?!?

(it was just me!)

I thought he'd done enough v Ukraine and N Macedonia to sneak in over Dumfries, who although he's scored a couple had also been able to play most of his games unchallenged on his flank in attack, and showed his defensive frailties a bit in the Ukraine game.

Who do you reckon should get that spot?

4 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

K. Phillips must be in the midfield- make it a 5-man midfield, drop Ronaldo.

All here for any love for Kalvin Phillips :cool: 

There's a lot of competition for midfield tbf but he has had a very good tournament, first game against Croatia especially. Hope he can keep it up.

1 hour ago, Hazzaj said:

(it was just me!)

I thought he'd done enough v Ukraine and N Macedonia to sneak in over Dumfries, who although he's scored a couple had also been able to play most of his games unchallenged on his flank in attack, and showed his defensive frailties a bit in the Ukraine game.

Who do you reckon should get that spot?

For me, its Dumfries. He was defensively solid and offensively massive :)

1 hour ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

People leaving out de Bruyne in their lineups :idiot:Is that because he only played 135 minutes?

He's been so good that even in limited minutes you simply can't turn him down.

He's by far the most talented player in England right now, I don't care if people disagree. 

3 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Here's the best 11 according to Germany's news site Kicker:

Sommer
  Dumfries Christensen Bonucci Spinazzola
       Locatelli   Wynaldum   de Bruyne
             Schick Lukaku Ronaldo

That's actually pretty good. Kicker is awful and too stats heavy, but I like this.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

1 hour ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

People leaving out de Bruyne in their lineups :idiot:Is that because he only played 135 minutes?

Pretty much, and also due to the fact that to me he seemed to have two really great moments within that time (though the assist and goal v Denmark were both hallmarks of a player of the highest quality) , rather than being a consistent transformative element to his team. Needs to do a little bit more for me to get into the tournament's best XI, otherwise I think you can just as easily include Forsberg or Modrić for their respective contributions.