Round of 16 predictions

14 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

The bottom half is Sweden vs Ukraine, England vs Germany, The Netherlands vs Czech Republic, and Wales vs Denmark.

With some more passion and grit, it can come home.

Stop being a wuss. Commit and give it the official georginho prediction

Wales - Denmark - should be fairly easy for Danes.

Italy - Austria - another easy one.

Netherlands - Czech Republic - could get interesting, Netherlands looked unconvincing at the back, but they should have enough firepower.

Belgium - Portugal - Really hard to say. Belgium looked way better in attacking phase, but their defense is really poor. 50-50, hopefully Belgium wins.

Croatia - Spain - Spain are the favorites, but Croatia finally looked decent in the final group game. Played them in both 2012 and 2016, games were really close. Both teams weaker since then. If Spain gets their finishing sorted, they should advance.

France - Switzerland- Boring and easy.

England - Germany - either a 0-0 and penalties or full chaos. England needs to step up and play with confidence. This German team is really unconvincing. If Southgate starts cowardly and doesn't attack, England won't win.

Sweden - Ukraine - Sweden looked like a way better team, but Ukraine has a lot of potential and they should've played way better. Advantage Sweden, but anything could happen.

Wales - Denmark 1:2 Denmark just looking a bit better all around, although losing Eriksen obviously hurts.

Italy - Austria 2:0 Dark Horse Italy vs not a Dark Horse Austria, should be easy pickings for them.

Netherlands (P) - Czech Republic 1:1 It's gonna be one of those games the Netherlands should be winning, but somehow aren't, but they're gonna win a penalty shoot out instead.

Belgium - Portugal No idea how this one will go, but my gut says Portugal will ********* their way to the next round somehow.

Croatia - Spain 0:1 Croatia just not looking good. Spain not looking great either, but they'll take it.

France - Switzerland 1:0 French do their thing, score a goal, sit on the lead, wait for 90 minutes to be over so they can go back to their croissants or something.

England - Germany 2-3 England will give Germany space, which they'll gladly exploit. Germany will gift England goals, because that's what their defense does.

Sweden - Ukraine 1-0 What's better than drawing with only 15% possession? That's right, winning the match with 10% possession. Sweden will teach you how!

Wales 1-2 Denmark

Italy 3-0 Austria

Netherlands 2-1 Czech Republic

Belgium 1-1(P) Portugal

Croatia 0-1 Spain

France 2-0 Switzerland 

England 1-0 Germany

Sweden 2-1 Ukraine

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

England - Germany - either a 0-0 and penalties or full chaos. England needs to step up and play with confidence. This German team is really unconvincing. If Southgate starts cowardly and doesn't attack, England won't win.

I think this is a bit wishful thinking.

Dechamps' France and Hungary have made Germany look average through defensive safety first football whereas Portugal got murdered when they tried to engage in end-to-end you-counter we-counter football.

I know people understandably want to see England go more attacking, but if anything the group stages have shown the opposite to "if we don't attack we don't win" and that the way to beat Germany is by shutting up shop.

36 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

I think it's a bit wishful thinking.

Dechamps' France and Hungary have made Germany look average through defensive safety first football whereas Portugal got murdered when they tried to engage in end-to-end you-counter we-counter football.

I know people understandably want to see England go more attacking, but if anything the group stages have shown the opposite to "if we don't attack we don't win" and that the way to beat Germany is by shutting up shop.

Totally agree. I've said after their first game that there's no way Germany are going to keep a clean sheet in this tournament, so sitting back and hitting them on the counter or from set pieces (which they've been defending really poorly so far) is the way to beat them. If Hungary can put two past them, heck, if Adam "one-goal-all-season" Szalai can score against them, then England will, too.

29 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I'm not sure on Denmark as much as everyone here. Wales have looked good for me so far. And there is something about Wales where I just can't write them off. I think this is pretty close coin flip type deal

Bring back the Euro 1968 rules :thup:

Wales 0-2 Denmark

Italy 1-0 Austria

Netherlands 2-1 Czech Republic

Belgium 1-4 Portugal

Croatia 0-1 Spain

France 3-0 Switzerland 

England 0-2 Germany

Sweden 1-2 Ukraine

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

I'm not sure on Denmark as much as everyone here. Wales have looked good for me so far. And there is something about Wales where I just can't write them off. I think this is pretty close coin flip type deal

I picked them but wouldn't say I'm sure about them. Only games I'd be confident on my predictions would be Italy and France. 

Listen, if there is one thing I’m sure of it’s that England arn’t beating Germany in a major tournament, knockout game. The best we can hope for is a ‘96 style glorious failure but with a manager like Southgate I doubt even that’s possible. 

4 hours ago, skybluedave said:

to me Denmark over Wales and France v Switzerland seem the two most one-sided ties in the Ro16. Can't forget Denmark were a little unlucky not to beat Belgium in the groups, were not for the star quality of de Bruyne and Lukaku to dig their opponents out. Wales have only really looked good against a Turkish side who've been the worst in the tournament so far.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Denmark (Think this will go the distance, Denmark to win on pens) 

Italy

Netherlands

Belgium (Pens) 

Spain

France 

England (Pens)

Ukraine (Pens) 

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I posted what I think, but any that are in the balance I probably leaned towards what I want e.g. bye bye England and Portugal. 

Right. What tends to happen in these sorts of things is that people let their biases come out and it skews it. 

Just now, Astafjevs said:

That's what I think will happen. Some are close calls, like Belgium and England matches

:thup:

I can't really see many shocks happening in this round.  

1.  Denmark (I think this is the most unpredictable game for me)

2.  Italy

3.  Netherlands

4.  Belgium

5.  Spain

6.  France

7.  England (I think home advantage will be key here)

8.  Sweden

Most games are too close to call. 

Wales have their chances to upset Denmark. I think it's 60-40 Denmark. 

Italy should win here versus Austria. 85-15 for Italy.

Netherlands vs Czechs 55-45

Belgium vs Portugal 49-51

Croatia vs Spain 50-50

France vs Switzerland 90-10

England vs Germany 48-52

Sweden vs Ukraine 55-45

Edited by Yuko

1. Think Denmark will edge Wales,but it could go either way

2. Italy, without a doubt

3.  Netherlands, but the Czechs will put up a decent fight

4. Think Portugal will s***house their way to victory

5. Probably the hardest to call. Depends which teams show up. I'll have Spain as winner, but after extra time or penalties. 

6. France, it's not even a contest

7. About time England knock out Germany in a major tournament. Would like them (if Italy go out) to win the whole thing, they're crazy for football and out of the big nations, they're the ones that went the longest time without winning something. 

8. Sweden, just like Portugal, will s***house their way to a win.

Edited by Marius_R

Wales 1-3 Denmark

Italy 3-0 Austria

Netherlands 1-1(p) Czech Republic

Belgium 2-1 Portugal

Croatia 2-2(p) Spain

France 1-0 Switzerland 

England (p)1-1 Germany

Sweden 3-1 Ukraine

Edited by Anthrax Dave

Wales v Denmark - Will be a close match but I think the Denmark players will elevate themselves again for Eriksen.

Italy v Austria - I don't rate Italy as highly as others but I can't see past them here.

Netherlands v Czech Republic - Actually think this one will be fairly close, the Czechs are no mugs and are better than they showed against England, where they were already through and not really pushing. Think Netherlands extra quality will win over though.

Belgium v Portugal - I hope Belgium win this but I think Portugal will pick off Belgium and their terrible defence on the counter.

Croatia v Spain - Spain look flat and lacking inspiration (5-0 win aside) and I think Croatia managed to be 2nd in their group despite not playing well at any point. Sneaky pick but I think Croatia will win this, especially if Morata is starting.

France v Switzerland - France should win this comfortably, even with a suspect defence.

England v Germany - The big one. Honestly the Germans don't look that great, a bit tedious against France and fortunate to break down a stubborn Hungary to qualify. England haven't beaten a *top* nation at a tournament since Argentina at the World Cup in 2002. We will to beat an elite team at some point again, so why not here?

Sweden v Ukraine - Sweden and their solid squad against a flaky Ukraine team. Ukraine probably have more quality about them but I think Sweden will win this.

4 hours ago, Hazzaj said:

to me Denmark over Wales and France v Switzerland seem the two most one-sided ties in the Ro16. Can't forget Denmark were a little unlucky not to beat Belgium in the groups, were not for the star quality of de Bruyne and Lukaku to dig their opponents out. Wales have only really looked good against a Turkish side who've been the worst in the tournament so far.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

You really think Den-Wal is more one sided than Ita-Aus? 

Edit: or even Net-Cze?

Edited by Norfair

Just now, Norfair said:

You really think Den-Wal is more one sided than Ita-Aus? 

Yeah, genuinely, though Italy v Austria is probs the next one down from that, I guess purely because Austria have the tools in midfield to test Italy in the way none of their group stage opponents have managed to so far. I could totally see Austria on their very best day cause all kinds of problems in the middle of the park, especially as Bonucci isn't the best at defending in a CB pair.

Whereas with Denmark - they just look like a very cohesive team with multiple players capable of creating chances, both through the fullbacks and through the midfielders, even shorn of their best creative midfielder. Rodon aside, Wales don't look that convincing in defence and I just think it'll be too easy for Denmark to grab control of the game in midfield and leave Wales relying on Dan James as the outlet for periodic ounterattacks. Sure, Wales have the individual quality in Ramsey and Bale to maybe steal the game, but if you replay this fixture 10 times, in 8 of them Denmark should win comfortably, if that makes sense.

@Hazzaj That's interesting. And this particular tournament I just think Denmark are hard to pin down as either strong or weak, mostly due to the Eriksen incident. Even now whenever they're mentioned, the first thing you think of is that. Their game vs Finland is a write-off for me, and I missed the game vs Belgium unfortunately. The Eriksen thing just messed up the whole dynamic, and it surely did for the team as well. But when they're good, they can be very good indeed. Wales have looked average and I count Denmark as favorites, but..

..Italy are the team to beat in this tournament, for me anyway. I've seen most of all their games. They might not have been properly tested yet, but they look incredibly vibrant, quick on the ball, passing it around well, creating chances. They're just in the zone, and you can tell they believe in what they're doing as well. I would bet my life on them vs Austria, who imo have been struggling. Even vs Macedonia they didn't convince me. They're distinctly average. I would put Italy as the strongest favorites in the next round, well ahead of France vs Switzerland (where I'm willing to place a small bet on Switzerland tbh) or any other tie.

Wales-Denmark I'm struggling to predict, I think Wales will sit deep and then hit Denmark on the break and will be very dangerous in it. Denmark are good but I'm not convinced they're THAT good. I'm thinking 1-1 then Wales nick one in extra time. 

Italy has to beat Austria, even if Austria suddenly looked way better in their final match. Class apart. But I'm not convinced the Italy hype train has enough momentum to go all the way through the whole tournament... They should do more than fine this round, but problems await later on. 

France to beat Switzerland with another rigid performance, but sprinkled with a couple moments of magic from Pogba and/or Mbappe and/or Benzema. Fairly dull and controlled 1-0 or 2-0.

Us against Belgium is very tough, so open. There's goals here at both ends, I can't see De Bruyne and Lukaku not creating at least one goal, but I also can't see us not scoring at least once on the counter, that Belgium defence is begging to be exposed at pace. I'm gonna say we'll sneak through but frankly anything can happen from Belgium winning 4-1 to us winning 4-1, to an extra time, penalties epic. 

Croatia vs Spain idk, I didn't watch Spain's battering of Slovakia but I imagine they're finally coming good, thing is Croatia are improving as well, but Spain should easily dominate possession like they do against anyone, and I think this Croatia side will struggle to do anything without the midfield control that they usually expect to have as well. Spain through.

Sweden V Ukraine, Ukraine have played wonderful watchable football the first match but then got worse and worse, whilst Sweden is going the other direction and look so much more dangerous now with Kulusevski. I'm definitely leaning towards Sweden qualifying here. 

England V Germany, I think this is well set to really really suit England, even if they've been so crazy dull so far. I expect England to spend most of the match defending and defending, but Germany are crazy easily exposed on the counter and Kane/Sterling/Foden (or whoever else plays) will have a wonderful time with the space to run at, that they've not had in this tournament yet. Oh and there's home advantage. I'm seriously leaning England here, 2-1 win in 90 mins, 2 counter goals and then Germany nick one back in the final minutes. 

Netherlands against Czech Rep, I'm not super super convinced by the Netherlands but don't rate the Czechs that high neither, can't see the Dutch not going through really. 

Edited by noikeee

By the way if I'm Southgate I'm playing 3-4-3 against Germany. 

Walker as RCB and James as RWB to take Gosens out the game. Saka as LWB. Maybe Foden or Mount as LW, Sterling as RW stretching play running to capitalise on through balls behind Gosens. There's a huge risk England would lose the midfield battle, but Germany can suddenly look surprisingly clueless when matched in formation. 

On 24/06/2021 at 08:50, skybluedave said:

Quoting myself here but seen Wales at 9/2 odd. That seems mental to me. 

On 24/06/2021 at 07:40, Yuko said:

Most games are too close to call. 

Wales have their chances to upset Denmark. I think it's 60-40 Denmark. 

Italy should win here versus Austria. 85-15 for Italy.

Netherlands vs Czechs 55-45

Belgium vs Portugal 49-51

Croatia vs Spain 50-50

France vs Switzerland 90-10

England vs Germany 48-52

Sweden vs Ukraine 55-45

We're predicting the European Football Championship scores, not Basketball.

On 25/06/2021 at 00:03, YouReds said:

Denmark (Think this will go the distance, Denmark to win on pens) 

Italy

Netherlands

Belgium (Pens) 

Spain

France 

England (Pens)

Ukraine (Pens) 

So you're saying Germany will lose their first-ever penalty shootout (not counting West Germany losing to Czechoslavakia in 1976).

On 24/06/2021 at 08:50, skybluedave said:

I'm not either, Russia haven't exactly looked good in any game in the championship and Denmark beating them easily doesn't make Denmark a great team.  Wales in the other hand have played well in 2 of the games, got a bit unlucky in the 3rd with a red card (not the decision, just the idea of having to play with 10) and I would say that game is 50-50

Wales V Denmark - Wales, had to pick a winner between them
Italy V Austria - Italy
Netherlands V Czech Rep - Netherlands
Belgium V Portugal - Belgium
Croatia V Spain - Spain
France V Switzerland - France
England V Germany - England (after extra time and potentially pens)
Sweden V Ukraine - Sweden

probably get them all wrong :cool:

12 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Wales vs Denmark one of the toughest games to call in this round. 

and England v Germany. Well, easy to call maybe but they still have to play. :)