Match 35 & 36 France vs Portugal Live from the Ferenc Puskás Stadium (BBC One) & Germany vs Hungary Live from the Allianz Arena (BBC2) thread

thefmveteran86

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Have you heard the one about the six French supporters who travelled to Bucharest for tonight's match... in Budapest?

Sometimes I wonder how people like them survive. :D

Weren't there some Benfica fans a couple of years ago that travelled to wrong Frankfurt? :lol:

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Sometimes I wonder how people like them survive. :D

Weren't there some Benfica fans a couple of years ago that travelled to wrong Frankfurt? :lol:

I've been reminded of the Liverpool supporters who went to Ghent when they were playing against Genk.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Nobody in their right mind wants to see Finland in the next round. A dire team that didn't play much football in any of their games

Rather them than Hungary. Also whoever might get drawn against them probably wants them through.

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

So can Portugal get knocked out?

Yeah if they lose 4-0 and Germany avoid defeat to Hungary, Portugal will be third with 3 points with a GD of -3 which will be the worst of all 3rd place teams

Edited by Heartwork

32 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Nobody in their right mind wants to see Finland in the next round. A dire team that didn't play much football in any of their games

Yeah they had their win but that will do. I'm not really looking forward to seeing Austria or Sweden either tbh

I live about 5km away from the Allianz Arena as the crow flies and at the moment there is quite a thunderstorm over my head. I guess that means that in about an hour it will be calm again. 

Austria, while not particularly great, at least doesn't try to shove every single player into their own penalty area and pray. Having to watch more Sweden though? Oh god. Especially now they're first and probably gonna get an opponent that's gonna park the bus just as hard as they do. What a cracking match that'll be.

Anyway, as for these matches...

France - Portugal will probably be a draw, Portugal will be perfectly happy with guaranteeing 3rd and they know how suicidal it is to attack France. France really isn't that great when their opposition gives them no space and Deschamps won't bother pushing for a win.

Germany - Hungary, Löw surprisingly is not playing Werner, but Sané. So Havertz should be pushing the line again like he did against Portugal, so our attack might actually not be terrible! Not sure why Gündogan is still playing since I haven't seen him do anything at all so far, would've preferred Goretzka, but meh, can't have everything.

Just now, Freakiie said:

France - Portugal will probably be a draw, Portugal will be perfectly happy with guaranteeing 3rd and they know how suicidal it is to attack France. France really isn't that great when their opposition gives them no space and Deschamps won't bother pushing for a win.

Expect France will go for it.  You can joke about England all you want and yes we have been very lacklustre.  But the French would much rather play Switzerland or Ukraine on a neutral ground than come for an away game at Wembley.  If you expect Germany to beat Hungary then France need to win to avoid dropping to second in the group.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He's not getting a breather, he's dropped because he's been sh*t. :D

He's not been at his best the last couple of months. He's been overplayed. 83 games in the last year. Was unlucky not to get a couple of assists in the first game, had a poor game last time out vs Germany but he needs a rest ultimately. 

Just now, DJ said:

Interesting fact: the last time Germany played an official game against Hungary, Germany won 3-2. It was the WC final of 1954 :eek: 

Mental stat considering how often some countries seem to play each other.

Looking at you, Scotland and Israel.

3 minutes ago, Nordan said:

I think England deserves to meet France in the next round, like they say you have to beat the best (unless someone else does it for you).

I love how no group winner except England plays the first knockout round at home.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Just now, VamPook said:

FB_IMG_1624450325115.jpg

Jose doesn't like Bruno after he turned him down at Spurs for United instead. He's had it in for Fernandes ever since. 

If Mourinho can't see that he had a good game in Portugal's first match then that's on Jose. Better finishing from his team mates and he walks away with a couple of assists. 

Reports of Hungarian fans in the city, shouting by the hundreds: GAY GERMANY GAY GAY. Please guys, please do the Hitler salute tonight in the stadium if you dare. It is an actual crime to do that in Germany and you will land in prison. 

Just missing the follow up interview with Jim Farron

Edit: as Portugal always are against a good side Portugal will be really defensive but I fancy somebody to score.

Edited by The_jagster