Match 31 and Match 32: Czech Republic vs England (ITV1 live from Wembley) & Croatia vs Scotland (ITV4 live from Hampden Park) at 8pm (BST)

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly feel quite emotional when I start filling my wallchart in.  Like a weird mix of excitement and melancholy.  Even as something magical is happening in front of you you're already a bit sad that some of it has been and gone. You can't ever get back to that point where it was all still stretching out in front of you.  Like watching your children grow up, that is genuinely the closest thing I can compare it to :D

Edited by Rob1981

Oh yeah, it's actually worse isn't it. :D:mad:

Ah well at least it's less than a usual 2 year gap or the ridiculous 2.5 years it would have been without covid.

Croatia: Livaković - Juranović,  Vida, Lovren, Gvardiol - Modrić, Kovačić, Brozović - Vlašić, Petković, Perišić

Scotland: Marshall - McTominay, Hanley, Tierney - O'Donnel, Robertson - Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor - Adams, Dykes

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Glad Saka is getting a chance, but how the hell is he starting but Bellingham still isn't getting a chance instead of Rice or Phillips :D

I don't have a clue what he thinks 

Perfect game to test these things as well. So bizarre

Rice and Phillips worked excellently against Croatia so I'm not against it at all, but against teams who are going to defend deeper against us we really should be trying something else there.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

It's also as if he can't drop Sterling incase another player actually does something good and might warrant playing instead of him 

I can see why tbf, Sterling is the oppositions' greatest weapon.

I also understand Foden not playing on a Yellow and giving others a chance, but not even on the bench that includes 3 CBs :D

He does realise we're 2nd in the group and need to win, right? 

I think Sterling's ongoing inclusion reflects that he does cause the opposition problems, even if it doesn't often amount to much. He always offers movement and the runs we lack.

Having said that, on one hand we seem to be protecting one player's confidence whilst Sancho wonders why he's slipped down the pecking order. Hope he gets at least 30 minutes tonight.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

I also understand Foden not playing on a Yellow and giving others a chance, but not even on the bench that includes 3 CBs :D

and 2 GKs on the bench as well. When would you ever need both GKs on the bench? Is it a rule both GKs need to be named on the bench?

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Do we need to win? Want to win yes, but aren't we already guaranteed one of the third placed qualifying positions no matter what happens?

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

and 2 GKs on the bench as well. When would you ever need both GKs on the bench? Is it a rule both GKs need to be named on the bench?

It’s a rule.

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Always miss the group stage. Go from constant football to those gaps :(

No football Thursday or Friday this week. :( 

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I mentioned this in the first game vs Croatia and apparently it's a requirement that you name the two sub GKs on the bench. 

Edit: Mentioned above as I was typing this out. 

Edited by craigcwwe

2 minutes ago, Katarian said:

Do we need to win? Want to win yes, but aren't we already guaranteed one of the third placed qualifying positions no matter what happens?

If we want to play all our games at Wembley, we need to top the group 

Gotcha. Normally the entire 23 are named but its different this year with the 26. 

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

Do we think Saka will be RW and Sterling LW, both cutting in on their stronger foot? Or the opposite? Saka normally plays on the left doesn't he?

I'd imagine Saka left and Sterling right. 

think the biggest change that needs to be made though isn't so much personnel, but getting the fullbacks higher up the pitch, it worked fine against Croatia as it nullified their threat, but against a Czech team in a situation where they only need a draw to top the group, we'll want to see Walker and Shaw get up the pitch more to join the attack - especially in Shaw's case as the whole reason he's been able to resurrect his international career is due to his contributions to Man United's attacking play.

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Pretty sure if we make the QFs we'd have an away game. 

Indeed. The advantage in the draw of playing at Wembley is just in the next round.

Going for a couple of score draws tonight. Which would mean England avoiding a Last 16 exit to France, Germany or Portugal... and instead facing a Last 16 exit to Spain or Sweden.

I just hope we actually show some ambition at the very least.