Match 31 and Match 32: Czech Republic vs England (ITV1 live from Wembley) & Croatia vs Scotland (ITV4 live from Hampden Park) at 8pm (BST)

thefmveteran86

1 minute ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I think its just because were just so ridiculously dull. Obviously anyone would take winning a group and conceding 1 goal but the performances dont leave you all that positive really.

We've hardly looked defensively solid either. Probably conceded more good opportunities then we have created so far.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

People were including Ward Prowse and Lingard in their teams above him, madness.

Players who play for big clubs that perform poorly always get underrated.

He's genuinely an exceptional talent. Has played in every position for Arsenal apart from CB and GK. I think he ends up as a CM or a #10

I also think he's 2 years off of scoring 15+ goals a season. Shame it'll probably be at City or Liverpool

Edited by ajw10

The side of the draw that 3rd in Group F lands (assuming 3rd in Group F qualifies) could make a big difference. Whichever team it is will definitely be a contender to win. If they land in England's half I'd fancy them to make the SF. If it's in the top half they play Belgium in R16.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

image.png.768c2534db3ae61966e04df8e514ccb4.png

You would hope Sweden can win tomorrow, only way to put Spain on the other side of the draw. 

Wales I'd hope to see them past the Danes, would be quite something if we had an England v Wales semi final :D 

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

The complete disrespect ITV have for Hungary is disgraceful, not even mentioning them as a team we could be facing 

Pougatch has said a couple times "lol maybe Hungary but not likely" but yeah, outside that they've basically ignored them.

1 minute ago, Katarian said:

We've hardly looked defensively solid either. Probably conceded more good opportunities then we have created so far.

Know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's not even close looking at the xG

image.png.605b08d8de44eb4a0a9a2797647bc164.png

We've had comfortably the better chances than every team we've faced, even with looking somewhat lacklustre at times.

1 minute ago, bestbrother said:

England have a right easy path.

In the Q/F they will have winners of E.. probably Swedull... or Croatia, which makes no sense.

Definitely in the better half of the draw.

The path to the final could reasonably be Hungary, Sweden/Ukraine and if the Dutch somehow stumble one of Czech Republic, Wales, or Denmark. That sounds more like a Euro Qualifying group than the actual competition.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You would hope Sweden can win tomorrow, only way to put Spain on the other side of the draw.

As far as Croatia's matchup goes, I don't think it really matters much.

Spain obviously has a way higher ceiling, but Croatia always struggled against teams like Sweden that maybe don't have the same technical quality and creativity in midfield, but are hardworking and well-drilled.

Spain looks like a toothless tiger and that's not going to change.
Not to mention Croatia won the last time we played, in 2016.

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Modric showing up big time when it mattered

Honestly, he looked exhausted out there.
He's still the best midfield in the world when his minutes are managed, but 3 games in 9 days took a toll.
Still managed to show his class with some superb passes and that amazing goal.

Croatia plays on Monday, so he'll have enough time to recover.

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Spain draw Slovakia and Poland beating Sweden would surely be the funniest outcome.

15 minutes ago, Pukey said:

We've had comfortably the better chances than every team we've faced, even with looking somewhat lacklustre at times.

I don't really understand how xG is calculated, but for me England had fewer but better chances whilst the Czechs had more chances overall but they weren't as good. Except for that Soucek chance which he really should have buried.

Edited by Katarian

That would fit with the xG you see in that image, then. It's based mainly on the quality of the chances. Lots of crap chances will usually equate to a lower xG than a solitary chance that happens to be a 1-on-1.

I suspect most of that 1.12 xG for England will be from Kane's shot in the first half where he maybe could have squared it to Sterling, but had a decent opportunity to score himself.

18 minutes ago, Katarian said:

I don't really understand how xG is calculated, but for me England had fewer but better chances whilst the Czechs had more chances overall but they weren't as good. Except for that Soucek chance which he really should have buried.

That Soucek makes up the biggest chunk of their xG. Outside of that there really wasn't anything to write home about even if they had more shots. We had the goal and the Kane chance which were both big chances. And yeah, outside of that we didn't do a great deal but that still shows we had better chances overall, and I do think a lot of that second half was just taking it easy, there really wasn't any need to go full pelt when the Czech Republic clearly weren't either.

35 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Pougatch has said a couple times "lol maybe Hungary but not likely" but yeah, outside that they've basically ignored them.

Pougatch?

1 hour ago, Hazzaj said:

Spain draw Slovakia and Poland beating Sweden would surely be the funniest outcome.

Would be hilarious if Slovakia somehow manage to knock Spain out of the competition

8 hours ago, DJ said:

Wow. The German commentary: England might be a potential opponent in the next round. Judging by our game against Portugal, and by this game, we won't have to worry too much. 
Talk about jinxing a game long before it is played ^^ 

Well at least it's not the English being accused of arrogance this time. ;)

8 hours ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I think its just because were just so ridiculously dull. Obviously anyone would take winning a group and conceding 1 goal but the performances dont leave you all that positive really.

We didn't concede in the group stage.

56 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Well at least it's not the English being accused of arrogance this time. ;)

We didn't concede in the group stage.

Southgate's plan all along was to go the Greece way of winning it, wasn't it? :brock:

Pity Scotland lost. I was hoping to see them make it through the group stage, felt that they actually played some decent and positive football. Didn't expect that at all to be honest, but they have quite a likeable team. Biggest issue imo is that they were lacking some quality forwards that can make goals, felt that most of the danger had to come from midfielders or backs. 

50 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

How bad was the McGinn sitter at 1? I've not seen it in the highlights.

If it's the one where he crashed with the keeper, maybe it's big but it's not easy and he didn't connect with the ball properly.