UEFA raging homophobe SCUM

DJ

UEFA are probing into the possibility of fining DFB/Neuer for wearing a rainbow coloured captain's band. 

According to the statutes of the European association, political statements are forbidden at events such as the European Championship – and as such the officials consider Neuer’s rainbow armband to be.

https://then24.com/2021/06/20/neuer-wore-a-rainbow-band-uefa-threatens-european-championship-penalty-dfb-reacts-we-are-colorful/

Things may come to a head if DFB/Allianz Arena indeed follow the call by many fans and even the Munich City Council for lighting up the Allianz Arena in the rainbow colours when Germany play Hungary.

UEFA forget one thing: by making a choice to not speak out against homophobic measures like in Hungary, you also make a clear political statement. You may want to ignore politics, but politics never ignore you.

Really, UEFA? Are you ready for a 5h1tstorm over that?

Edited by DJ

I thought the stadiums were in the hands of UEFA officials for the duration of the tournament? So even if the DFB wanted to change the colours UEFA would just overule them and make sure it didn't happen?

1 minute ago, Tony85 said:

I thought the stadiums were in the hands of UEFA officials for the duration of the tournament? So even if the DFB wanted to change the colours UEFA would just overule them and make sure it didn't happen?

As said: if they actually thwart this, there will be consequences. The 'no politics allowed' excuse does not hold water in this situation. PR nightmare.

it's not a political statement ffs. UEFA have the final say about the stadium colors as the organizer, but they'd have some 'splaining to do. Best way would be if the Hungarian team would go on the record that they're in favor of it. My guess is UEFA will find some technical reason why they can't be arsed and backlash ensues.

14 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

UEFA refused a request to light up Allianz Arena in rainbow colours. I'm sure they'll find a way around it. Rainbow flags for fans?

Again - this would never happen. As wrong as it is for UEFA to take this stance - they are in charge of the venue during this tournament and have their people in place. Unless you got a rogue employee who would probably lose their job or worse nothing will get done in the stadium without their approval. That's the point I was making above about how it doesn't matter what the DFB want so it was pointless trying to press them to do it as they have no control over the stadium throughout the tournament.

You've also got to keep in mind that UEFA have been in talks with Hungary about possibly taking the semi / final if they can't get the UK government to give into their demands so they're unlikely to do anything to upset them even if there was the will to do it (which there isn't).

Edited by Tony85

Just now, Tony85 said:

Again - this would never happen. As wrong as it is for UEFA to take this stance - they are in charge of the venue during this tournament and have their people in place. Unless you got a rogue employee who would probably lose their job or worse nothing will get done in the stadium without their approval. That's the point I was making above about how it doesn't matter what the DFB want so it was pointless trying to press them to do it.

You've also got to keep in mind that UEFA have been in talks with Hungary about possibly taking the semi / final if they can't get the UK government to give into their demands so they're unlikely to do anything to upset them even if there was the will to do it (which there isn't).

Would they stop fans carrying their own rainbow flags and banners in though?

I see a nice trend developing: this empty 'keep politics out of football' argument that many use, is easily countered by 'look up 'forbidden team clashes' and tell me again that UEFA keeps politics out of football', is informing loads and loads of people about what hypocritical arses UEFA are. Mainly the unwashed uninformed masses that are not as informed as we football nerds are. As I said earlier: consequences. 

7 minutes ago, DJ said:

I see a nice trend developing: this empty 'keep politics out of football' argument that many use, is easily countered by 'look up 'forbidden team clashes' and tell me again that UEFA keeps politics out of football', is informing loads and loads of people about what hypocritical arses UEFA are. Mainly the unwashed uninformed masses that are not as informed as we football nerds are. As I said earlier: consequences. 

To be fair there are a couple of forbidden team clashes where it would literally be a bloodbath if they played each other e.g. Armenia - Azerbaijan. Others just seem petty e.g. Spain-Gibraltar

It's being reported that the stadiums of Berlin, Cologne and St Pauli will show rainbowcolours during the match. More likely to follow. 

14 hours ago, DJ said:

https://www.facebook.com/uefa/posts/343055147189953

UEFA asks: If you could play at one UEFA EURO 2020 venue, which would it be?

Time to post this picture all over the question, like hundreds are doing right now. 

No photo description available.

Lots of players tweeting this image, Griezmann and Sarabia the latest. This is going quite badly for UEFA. In addition to your post, apparently Munich are going to deck the city in Rainbow colours anyway

47 minutes ago, DJ said:

It's being reported that the stadiums of Berlin, Cologne and St Pauli will show rainbowcolours during the match. More likely to follow. 

No surprise St Pauli are going for it. Famously left wing, previous chairman was openly gay, so it's an issue they care about.

I dont get either side of this one to be honest.

Why do Germany want to do this? And why are UEFA trying to stop them?
imo, if Germany want to do it then let them.

Edited by av3ry

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Everyone knows the context. Except UEFAs decision goes against its own creed if you look it up

I honestly thought it was to do with Pride Month that was why my initial post was if they want to do it, UEFA should let them.

The solution is easy IMO:

The stadium gets lit up anyway. UEFA hand out one of their famous 100 Euro fines, like the ones they hand out for racism in stadiums (oh, nothing done about the recent events during the Euros yet? Odd. ) and clearly state they have to but do fully understand the sentiment.

But they don't even have the guts to do that, do they? Somehow, pandering to a tinpot dictator is more of a priority...

4 hours ago, Tony85 said:

Again - this would never happen. As wrong as it is for UEFA to take this stance - they are in charge of the venue during this tournament and have their people in place. Unless you got a rogue employee who would probably lose their job or worse nothing will get done in the stadium without their approval. That's the point I was making above about how it doesn't matter what the DFB want so it was pointless trying to press them to do it as they have no control over the stadium throughout the tournament.

Christopher Street Day Germany and Amnesty International have teamed up to provide 11,000 rainbow flags for the audience. No word on how exactly they will be distributed, but it'll be colorful inside the stadium.

3 hours ago, DJ said:

UEFA about as neutral as Franco's Spain during WW2.

The "political" argument (not relating to this) I would understand, as UEFA will be clumsily desperate not to offend anyone.  But this is one of those things that if that is their thinking, then they probably stand to offend far more with inaction.  And then "compromising" by saying, "it's ok guys, we're great with you doing that, but could you just do it when we're not there" is all a bit "I'm not a homophobe, but..." really.

2 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Christopher Street Day Germany and Amnesty International have teamed up to provide 11,000 rainbow flags for the audience. No word on how exactly they will be distributed, but it'll be colorful inside the stadium.

Good. I was hoping something was gonna happen inside the ground.

21 hours ago, DJ said:

Well well, quite some patting on the back there. I don't think this is how it works though. 

I would like to see Germany take this one step further and threaten to boycott the World Cup in Qatar. We all know about the atrocities happening in Qatar while the stadiums are being built.

3 minutes ago, Ackter said:

When will people stop calling this sort of stuff political? It has nothing to do with politics. 

It becomes political when governments make it political and then organising bodies don't want to upset those governments when they're desperately wanting to maintain a stadium in that country as a backup for the Semi Final and Final.

1 minute ago, Confused Clarity said:

It becomes political when governments make it political and then organising bodies don't want to upset those governments when they're desperately wanting to maintain a stadium in that country as a backup for the Semi Final and Final.

Because they're scum. It's still not a political issue and we shouldn't let them get away with pretending it is one.

12 minutes ago, av3ry said:

I would like to see Germany take this one step further and threaten to boycott the World Cup in Qatar. We all know about the atrocities happening in Qatar while the stadiums are being built.

You saw what happened to Norway. They were thinking about it and were immediately threatened with being excluded from the next WC. If this is going to happen, ALL countries (or at least a number of significant ones) should do that. Talk about politics. Clubs like Bayern go there every winter to train, for example. 

WTF were they thinking? :D I'd be fine with the "no politics or religion in football", if they were totally consistent about it. But that would beside no rainbows require no kneeling, no 100% Jesus headbans, no poppies and so on. But as it's now, there's only problems with displays that would hurt UEFA's image or bank account.

And the UEFA logo in rainbow colours afterwards is the worst attempt of doing a publicity stunt I've seen :D