Match 25 AND Match 26: Italy vs Wales (ITV1 live from Rome) AND Switzerland vs Turkey (ITV4 live from Baku) 5pm (bst)

Coulthard's Jaw

Here we go, time to start deciding some group places

ztrpkvsXY7NdOp9D0=

Italy are guaranteed top 2 so they have qualified for the knockout stages. They only need to draw to top the group.

Wales can top the group with a win. A draw guarantees them 2nd. A loss leaves them dependent on the result in the other match as to whether they finish 2nd or 3rd. Feels like a highly unlikely series of results are needed across the groups for them to be knocked out, they are fine.

Switzerland have a bad GD at the moment so they might want to put together a decent win over Turkey to makes themselves 100% comfortable. A draw surely means they are out and a loss means they are definitely gone.

Turkey, quite frankly, look gone already. 3 points and a bad GD will probably see them gone, so even a win today probably won't be enough.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Switzerland v Turkey is HUGE for all the other groups.  All those teams elsewhere assuming they can get through in third with four points.  If it's a Turkey win here or a draw it means the third place team here in Group A definitely only has 2-3 points... and we know that before any of the others play.

Edited by Rob1981

I'd rather play Finland/Russia/Denmark than Ukraine/Austria so finishing second is fine by me tia.

Not normally one for predictions but I think Italy will win but Wales will score, ending that long run of clean sheets they're on. Confidence shaken they go out in the first knockout round. Switzerland to win as well but not by enough to make up the gap in goal difference.

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Switzerland v Turkey is HUGE for all the other groups.  All those teams elsewhere assuming they can get through in third with four points.  If it's a Turkey win here or a draw it means the third place team here in Group A definitely only has 2-3 points... and we know that before any of the others play.

And a bad GD to boot. Will really help the teams in later groups to know the results, another drawback of the 24 team system.

I don't think it's important for those trying to get through with 4 points because that should be enough. There doesn't look like there will be more than four teams finishing in 3rd on 4 points anyway. It's important for the teams trying to get through in 3rd on 3 points

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

12 out of 13 teams that had 3pts in '94 and '16 qualified.

13 teams :confused: That can't be right anyway, Turkey and Albania went out in 2016 and both had three points:

image.png.d0017cc89d333f7a697cd6de6513aa05.png

I'm not sure any teams will go through with three points this year, they all seem a bit more streetwise in terms of the format.  Plotting where they can get to four points overall rather than necessarily going out to try and win.

8 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

13 teams :confused: That can't be right anyway, Turkey and Albania went out in 2016 and both had three points:

Sorry then, my bad.

I literally read it in the papers a couple of days ago.

And it was the most reputable sports papers here. :mad:

I agree that teams seem more wise to it and aware that 4 points is what you need. But it would still take something weird to get five teams on 4 points. Just the nature of the games left and the combination of results that all need to happen.

Group E - Spain and Slovakia need to draw, Poland need to win, in order for 3rd to have 4 points. Finland need to get something against Belgium and Russia against Denmark for Group B to have any chance of 4 points in 3rd place.

Not saying these are impossible, just for all of them to happen is unlikely.

Turkey have been rubbish this year, but it will be a shame for them if they win today and finish third and still go out based on their h2h record against the other third place teams.  Same thing happened to them in Euro 2016 even though they lost twice and then came back to win their last game.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Sorry then, my bad.

I literally read it in the papers a couple of days ago.

And it was the most reputable sports papers here. :mad:

Seems they failed at fact checking.

No team went through with 3 points in -94. There where a few that did in -90 and -86 but of course back then you only got 2 points for a win so...

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Draw and Italy top the group. 

Is that an advantage though? At a glance there doesn't look like there's much difference. Finishing 2nd might even mean facing Netherland instead of Belgium in the quarters.

Everywhere is saying we're going to make some changes, which tbh I don't really like. Would rather we played the same team and made sure of the win and 1st in the group.

Winner of the group plays Ukraine/Austria, and then probably Belgium in the QF.

Second in the group plays Russia/Finland, and then either Holland/Portugal/Germany/France in the QF.

It's not guaranteed that Holland will play 3rd in F, but if you look at the scenarios, they've got a pretty good chance. Also the travel when coming 2nd is really ****. Amsterdam and then Baku. No thank you.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Pessina is a huge downgrade on Barella.

Yeah, but Verratti is still an upgrade over Locatelli if we talk build up play and control. If healthy, ofc.

I don't think Barella's running will be missed as much because Wales will be sitting deep and playing for the draw.

Plenty of changes for the Italians. Few more than I expected them to make. The front three are all around the same level of ability and quality as those they've replaced so not much difference there.

Edited by craigcwwe

Can't find Tweets but this is confirmed lineups for the other game on the Independent:

Switzerland XI: Sommer; Nico Elvedi, Akanji, Ricardo Rodríguez; Widmer, Granit Xhaka, Freuler, Zuber; Shaqiri; Embolo, Seferovic.

Turkey XI: Çakir; Çelik, Demiral, Soyunçu, Muldur; Ayhan, Tufan; Ünder, Kahveci, Calhanoglu; Yilmaz

20 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Top of the group is a must for Italy because they will end up in the first half of the semi, which means one day extra to rest before the final.

Puts Italy, Belgium and France all on the same side of the draw. Good for England if they can top their group!

I actually think Italy will beat Wales - not 3-0, but they'll do enough to make sure they top the group with three wins.

Switzerland vs Turkey... I can't separate them. Score draw.

49 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

8 new names, but other than Bernardeschi being awful and Toloi being played out of position, there are no big downgrades.

Thats how you rotate. Italy will win anyway, no chance of a draw or defeat