Euro 2020 - Cities Hosts vs Nation Host

grade

Hello everyone.

I was wondering what has been your opinion on this format of being hosted in multiple cities across Europe?  Or do you prefer the old ways with one (maximum of two) nation host?

Grade

I've quite liked it but it does end up favouring the bigger nations even more so it's probably best to limit it to 1-2 countries.

Europe is also probably the only continent where this works to an extent due to countries being smaller in size.

I prefer the old format. But I suppose it does rule out many countries that don't have the infrastructure, but might have a stadium or two that are up to scratch. It has been great to see games at Hampden, just a bit **** to have such a reduced capacity. 

I am not a fan of the current format at all. In every group there are one or two teams that have a huge home advantage and for example Switzerland played their first match in Baku, second in Rome and the last again in Baku, which just ridiculous really as this is every time almost an 8 hour flight :D. Moreover, it is also unclear to me why the semi-finals and the final are then all of a sudden in the same nation.

Edited by Cedrik

16 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

I've quite liked it but it does end up favouring the bigger nations even more so it's probably best to limit it to 1-2 countries.

Europe is also probably the only continent where this works to an extent due to countries being smaller in size.

Going to be a 3 country World Cup in 2026, Mexico, USA and Canada.

8 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

This was done to mark the 60th anniversary of the competition

This is nonsense btw, just the PR spin that UEFA put on it to try and sell it to people.

Basically nobody wanted to go up against Turkey because Platini had already come out publicly and said he was going to back their bid.  But then Turkey were also bidding for the Olympics in 2020 and they wanted to be able to drop out of the Euros bid if they won the Olympics first.  So Platini had backed himself into a corner where he could have ended up with no bids.

The multiple cities thing was just to save himself from embarrassment.  Nothing to do with the 60th anniversary really, just a convenient angle for the press release.

7 minutes ago, The Golden boy said:

Going to be a 3 country World Cup in 2026, Mexico, USA and Canada.

Yeah and it has every chance of looking absolutely daft if people are having to regularly fly between Edmonton and New York or Toronto and Mexico City, etc. :D

Edited by Darius1998

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

This is nonsense btw, just the PR spin that UEFA put on it to try and sell it to people.

Basically nobody wanted to go up against Turkey because Platini had already come out publicly and said he was going to back their bid.  But then Turkey were also bidding for the Olympics in 2020 and they wanted to be able to drop out of the Euros bid if they won the Olympics first.  So Platini had backed himself into a corner where he could have ended up with no bids.

The multiple cities thing was just to save himself from embarrassment.  Nothing to do with the 60th anniversary really, just a convenient angle for the press release.

Well I stand corrected then. :) 

Wasn't aware of any of that.

I liked this format, but some city choices are strange. You have Rome, Seville, London, Copenhagen, Munich and Amsterdam all within a small distance. Then you have Budapest, Bucharest and St Petersburg, which are bit more Eastern, and then there is... Baku. Switzerland's scheduling has been ridiculous. Also don't know how the exact draw works out, but you can have a team play their last group game in St Petersburg, 1st KO round game in Amsterdam, quarter final in Baku and then back to London for the semifinals. That's a lot of travelling. 

However, I wish this remains a one-off tournament instead of becoming a regular thing. 

Edited by Marius_R

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Well I stand corrected then. :) 

Wasn't aware of any of that.

Sorry, this is real bugbear of mine :D Basically history records it now as an anniversary celebration or "nobody wanted to host it all because of the financial crash!" which is the other thing you hear.  But it's all spin.  There were various bids in the pipeline at one point - Germany, Netherlands, Romania/Hungary I think, a couple of the Balkan countries.  Then one by one they fizzled out because well before the deadline Platini had come out and backed Turkey.  And his favouring Turkey went way back to the Euro 2012 vote in 2007ish... they had lost that one to France and accused Platini of lobbying for the French vote even though he was supposed to be impartial.  So it was pretty clear he was going to do them a favour four years later.  If they hadn't been going for the Olympics as well they probably would have won it unopposed... but when they said they might pull out and focus on the Olympics Platini needed a backup option and couldn't find one.

I agree with basically everyone else, one host or a small number of geographically close countries (so eg Netherlands & Belgium). Having so much unnecessary travelling isn't good for the teams or for any committed fans going to all their teams games (tho obv covid makes this moot for many this time anyway) 

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Sorry, this is real bugbear of mine :D Basically history records it now as an anniversary celebration or "nobody wanted to host it all because of the financial crash!" which is the other thing you hear.  But it's all spin.  There were various bids in the pipeline at one point - Germany, Netherlands, Romania/Hungary I think, a couple of the Balkan countries.  Then one by one they fizzled out because well before the deadline Platini had come out and backed Turkey.  And his favouring Turkey went way back to the Euro 2012 vote in 2007ish... they had lost that one to France and accused Platini of lobbying for the French vote even though he was supposed to be impartial.  So it was pretty clear he was going to do them a favour four years later.  If they hadn't been going for the Olympics as well they probably would have won it unopposed... but when they said they might pull out and focus on the Olympics Platini needed a backup option and couldn't find one.

Interesting. 

I had a look earlier and Euro 2024 is in Germany, they beat off a bid from....Turkey. :D 

Yeah, even after the multiple cities thing was decided then Istanbul was supposed to be one of the bids and was the favourite to get the semi finals and final... they knew they weren't getting the Olympics by then.  But they thought if they got this then they wouldn't get the chance to host a whole tournament so they pulled out of 2020 altogether to focus on 2024.  Ended up with nothing :D

Also when Platini first cooked this multiple cities thing up he said it would be "no more than two hour flight!" between any of the venues.  Instead you have teams travelling 2,000 miles to Baku and back and by the time you get to the quarters and semis you will have some teams that have taken ten flights in three weeks and some that have barely had to move.

It's been a disaster from start to finish.

30 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Curious where you found that info on a possible Dutch EC2020 bid, because I have no recollection of it.

Also, one host and just 8 teams. Much better.

2 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Curious where you found that info on a possible Dutch EC2020 bid, because I have no recollection of it.

They are namechecked on Wiki as one of the countries that were supposed to be interested but didn't bid:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/462/netherlands/2011/03/09/2386625/netherlands-consider-making-bid-to-host-european
https://www.nu.nl/sport/2464088/knvb-richt-zich-binnenhalen-ek-2020.html

I mean you're going back 10+ years here.  Probably didn't get very far with it before Platini gave Turkey the thumbs up.

Better to have it in one nation if nothing else so the commentators are actually there rather than talking over the same pictures we're watching and often being a touch behind. Not sure how the tournament in one nation only would have worked with Covid/travel restrictions though as I imagine countries are happier to let people in from three or four other countries than the whole continent, so maybe atmosphere wise it's a bit of a blessing for it to happen across Europe now.

• Administrators

Think the Euros should use multiple hosts really, up to 2-3. 1 nation on each side of the draw, have the knockouts entirely one country too for the biggest stadia, allowing some smaller nations to host just a group stage set of matches. 

But don't think teams should be allowed to play "at home", the way England, Netherlands, Germany etc have. The Baku situation is a bit nuts as well.

I actually think we should do multiple nations I guess. Maybe not 12 like now, but 3 or 4 close to each other would be good. The goal should be not more than 1 stadium to be newly built in any country(renovations are fine) and no bigger distances than 1000 km or so.

Only a few countries can host this monstrosity alone(England/Germany/France/Italy/Spain/Russia/Turkey) and Turkey has to build big time I guess. And there are logical couples, trios and quartets imaginable to host. (Benelux/Alpes countries/Scandinavians/Visegrad/Balkan).

Edited by himan

I remember it being sold during the original planning as an opportunity for countries that aren't ever going to be able to host the tournament by themselves to get a chance at some matches, so I liked the idea as a one off.

The problem is that the majority of the later matches have been given to bigger countries anyway. I think it would be a good format if you were using the chance to give Budapest, Bucharest and maybe Copenhagen the semis and final.

7 hours ago, himan said:

I actually think we should do multiple nations I guess. Maybe not 12 like now, but 3 or 4 close to each other would be good. The goal should be not more than 1 stadium to be newly built in any country(renovations are fine) and no bigger distances than 1000 km or so.

Only a few countries can host this monstrosity alone(England/Germany/France/Italy/Spain/Russia/Turkey) and Turkey has to build big time I guess. And there are logical couples, trios and quartets imaginable to host. (Benelux/Alpes countries/Scandinavians/Visegrad/Balkan).

Turkey already have 8 or 9 stadiums that could easily host European Championship games, the 4 in Istanbul, then Bursa, Konya and Trabzon, all above 40.000 capacity. Plus a lot of 35.000-ish capacity stadiums built in the last 4 or 5 years in various cities that can be used for group games. 

10 hours ago, Reggiana said:

I remember it being sold during the original planning as an opportunity for countries that aren't ever going to be able to host the tournament by themselves to get a chance at some matches, so I liked the idea as a one off.

The problem is that the majority of the later matches have been given to bigger countries anyway. I think it would be a good format if you were using the chance to give Budapest, Bucharest and maybe Copenhagen the semis and final.

There are loads of cities that have a decent-sized stadium but where the country as a whole is unlikely bid to host or co-host a full tournament.  Cities like Minsk, Sofia, Jerusalem, Skopje were all on the list of bidders and got overlooked.  You also have places like Zagreb, Helsinki, Oslo, Belgrade etc. that could have been considered.

Comes down to bloody money again.  Just a total cop out to give the games to Munich and London and Rome and Amsterdam.  But they thought they could sell 60k-70k seats instead of 40k and it much easier to sell the city as a weekend junket for the corporates.  And St Petersburg ffs, when Russia has literally just had the World Cup.

Edited by Rob1981

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Zagreb

If you want pieces of construction falling on your head. :brock:

Anyhow, this just takes from the entire big tournament experience from the travelling fans.

If you play two games in the same country, it's also the same stadium.

If you're a neutral fan who just wants to experience the tournament, it's not different than going to normal games.

No fans from various country, no city-to-city travelling experience, nothing.

Luckily 2024 is in Germany, which is always a great thing.

10 hours ago, DJ said:

To me it is weird that several countries have the home advantage. I'd rather keep it at one or two nations. 

There are even groups with two host countries, feels like it's rigged from the start.

And I just saw that both-semi finals and the final are in London? What's that about?

19 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

We will be into the Euro 2028 process before you know it, I think Turkey are bidding again :D

Turkey are long overdue a European Championship, in my opinion. But just watch UEFA pass them over yet again and give Euro 2028 to Italy instead.

19 hours ago, himan said:

The tournament has become a monstrosity, due to candidates to UEFA making promisses that makes more available spots for smaller nations to qualify. The same happen to FIFA. How do you think Infantino got elected? ;)

22 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Also, one host and just 8 teams. Much better.

I agree with this is too many teams in this tournament has is. I mean it is almost half of the Europe countries qualify for it. I think 8 teams is a bit smaller for tournament, a bit restrictive for my taste, but I for one would have liked the 16 team tournament or the 20 team tournament, not 24 a. I never liked the best of 3 place qualify in any tournament (and that is me saying last tournament (2016), my nation qualify via 3rd place and won the all tournament and as things are now on this one, I guess is is going through the same process. Also 32 teams is bit much for tournament like this, but prefer it far better then what we have today.

I don’t mind 24 teams in principle, just that the third place teams going through makes for a terrible format.

Ought to make it four groups of six, top four in each group going through to the round of 16. Just make it 8-10 days longer and give everyone five group games instead of three. Squeeze the domestic seasons a bit to get more international football in. Sorted.

39 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I don’t mind 24 teams in principle, just that the third place teams going through makes for a terrible format.

Ought to make it four groups of six, top four in each group going through to the round of 16. Just make it 8-10 days longer and give everyone five group games instead of three. Squeeze the domestic seasons a bit to get more international football in. Sorted.

Never thought about that sounds pretty good. however one small doubt.  This wouldn't extend the duration of the tournament?

Edited by grade

Don't get me wrong, I too prefer it to be a single (double) country. But with the exception of Baku it really isn't, distancewise, any issues. And even with it isn't much of a difference to what can (and have) happened in the WC's.

Seville to Baku is just under 3000 miles.
2014 in Brazil had about 2000 miles from one end to the other.
2026 in north america will have about 2500 east to west and 2700 north to south.

If they had been a bit smarter about the groupings and ditched the whole "host nation stays at home as much as possible" crap then it could have been pretty good. Of course money and politics meant that wasn't going to happen but still.