Match 24: Spain vs Poland 8PM (BST) Live from La Cartuja Stadium - Seville (BBC)

thefmveteran86

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I think Spain’s problem is a difficult fix. You can’t say it’s 1 single issue that replacing player X with player Y would solve (at least not without a David Villa in reserve). 

They've played pretty well overall I think in every area without being amazing. How do you improve that quickly?

They've got some decent/good players, but no outstanding players. I think they're playing alright too, but the problem with good players that you don't get with outstanding players is exactly what you see here - they're slow to see the forward pass, they miss chances. 

All their players are at a similar level. You can't say, for example, Oyarzabal is that much worse, if at all, than Moreno or Ferran Torrres or Olmo. 

Just now, craigcwwe said:

That's another nation we can rule out for winning this then. 

unless we have a time machine, I don't think anyone thought Spain would win the tournament :D

Just now, MIR17 said:

No, they did nothing except dominate world football for 6 years. ;)

They deserved all 3 wins, but they could've easily had 0.

Penalty series in 2008 and 2010. Robben missing a sitter and disgusting refereeing in 2012 when they should've been out in the group.

Just now, ajw10 said:

So are Italy the champions now then? Because France lost it v Hungary and Spain can't possibly win this thing now they've drawn both of their games.

Maybe Germany are on the winners list again after their win earlier.

Just now, ajw10 said:

So are Italy the champions now then? Because France lost it v Hungary and Spain can't possibly win this thing now they've drawn both of their games.

Italy, Holland and Belgium all won both their games.  So got to be one of those three, everyone else is out iirc.

Just now, Haguey said:

but they lost to France, who drew with Hungary, who lost to Portugal, who just lost to Germany. I am very confused

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

They've got some decent/good players, but no outstanding players. I think they're playing alright too, but the problem with good players that you don't get with outstanding players is exactly what you see here - they're slow to see the forward pass, they miss chances. 

All their players are at a similar level. You can't say, for example, Oyarzabal is that much worse, if at all, than Moreno or Ferran Torrres or Olmo. 

Yep 100% agree. Not to go all British cliché here but they’re easy to play against too. Xavi would have absolutely murdered Poland with his passing today - people forget how incisive he was when he was given even a second of time to pick one out.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

Yeah, may as well give Italy the trophy now. ;) 

Bizarrely think Denmark have been the 2nd best team. Battered both Finland and Belgium but lost both games.

My predictions have been an absolute mess today.

French win... nope. Draw.

Close contest in Munich... nope. Germany win 4-2.

Spanish rout... nope. Draw.

I've got Italy down to beat Wales 2-0 tomorrow, so put all your money on a score draw and a Spinazzola own goal ASAP. :lol:

Just now, ajw10 said:

Holland unconvincing, but I forgot about Belgium in fairness

Belgium should've lost about 7-2 to Denmark though tbf. Was one of the most one-sided games of the tournament.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

I missed that game. I believe it changed when KdB came on?

For about 10 minutes yeah, then Denmark went back to dominating them.

Belgium definitely looked very beatable in that game.

As others have said, I think there's a bunch of good teams in this year but no real standout team who look like overwhelming favourites like Spain in 2010 or Germany 2014 were. Everyone looks very beatable in a one off game. Except for Italy, but I'm not convinced they've been properly tested yet.

9 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

Yeah, may as well give Italy the trophy now. ;) 

Bizarrely think Denmark have been the 2nd best team. Battered both Finland and Belgium but lost both games.

Nah, Denmark were good in midfield and let down by their forward players not being that good, they were almost all half-chances rather than bad misses. Their only goal was a blunder by Denayer in the pass and movement. Losing both games was harsh but they aren't great.

Spain were worse than against Sweden imo, they had fewer clear cut chances and the penalty was not really earned either, just fortunate.

Edited by The_jagster

4 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I didn't think it was an easy chance for Morata from the penalty. 

No, if it goes in they are praising a really good finish and if he misses it's terrible, it bounces just in front of him too.

There is a lot of lazy punditry where the same chance is a great finish/poor miss depending on the outcome.

4 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Nah, Denmark were good in midfield and let down by their forward players not being that good, they were almost all half-chances rather than bad misses. Their only goal was a blunder by Denayer in the pass and movement. Losing both games was harsh but they aren't great.

Spain were worse than against Sweden imo, they had fewer clear cut chances and the penalty was not really earned either, just fortunate.

Tbf, I know xG is controversial, but Denmark have the most dominant xG of the tournament so far

Denmark 2.05 xG (0-1) 0.39 xG Finland
Denmark 2.24 xG (1-2) 0.79 xG Belgium

Think if they keep up these performances they'll do alright. Can't see them winning but could see them getting to the quarters or so.

1 minute ago, MIR17 said:

Tbf, I know xG is controversial, but Denmark have the most dominant xG of the tournament so far

Denmark 2.05 xG (0-1) 0.39 xG Finland
Denmark 2.24 xG (1-2) 0.79 xG Belgium

Think if they keep up these performances they'll do alright. Can't see them winning but could see them getting to the quarters or so.

Didn't they have 40 shots across both games? So that's a penalty and lots and lots of low percentage chances.

20 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Basically everyone outside of Italy has looked horrific at times. 

Italy have looked the best team so far yeah. I was thinking about this earlier though, have they peaked too early? 

20 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Football fans eh?

Fickle bunch.

15 minutes ago, DJ said:

It's coming home alright, but where's home?

We created the beautiful game. It's ours and we're taking it back. :)

14 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Italy have looked the best team so far yeah. I was thinking about this earlier though, have they peaked too early? 

Football fans eh?

Fickle bunch.

We created the beautiful game. It's ours and we're taking it back. :)

The "beautiful" game was a Queen's Park invention ;)