Match 21: England vs Scotland - 8pm (BST) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY

Like the same people defending this performance are the ones that were lapping up the 3 at the back home win against Belgium, when Belgium missed loads of chances in first half before we got the win. Performance was poor, but got the win. Rock up to away game, and shock horror, performance is poor yet again, and we’re comfortably beaten :D 

The only common thing in both games was the poor performances, not being solid in both defensively, creating chances, grinding out results etc. Likely have to face 2 big sides before final, we just haven’t shown it in us we can win both. Hopefully if we got to SF, being at home gives us an advantage. But I thought that last night :/ 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

The winner of group F will still be waiting for us in the quarter finals so what's the difference?

Yes, people think this is like the World Cup where one half of the draw is loads easier than the other. Alas. We've got to beat France in the last 16 or QF, we need to find some form and fast.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Confused Clarity said:

As a neutral, reading all that, I find myself thinking  "wtf is wrong with Matt Scott?" But would be interested if others view it in the same way or not.

There is a lot wrong with Matt Scott, he's the Dan Hodges of football Twitter.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

A positive though so I’m not always negative, Southgate has finally stuck with 4-3-3. So at least there’s a consistent base there build upon and players get used too. 

Just like I said before the Scotland game, the front 6 is likely what Southgate sees as his strongest. So they’ve now had two games together (they won’t all play Czech game), so hopefully come last 16 it’s the right choice, but again time will tell. Not a fan of the full backs constantly changing though, as Sterling/Foden need to get used to one. Should just be Shaw/Walker hopefully as first choice.

Edited by pearcey_90
25 minutes ago, VP. said:

He may be able to say 'well I got us to a World Cup semi' but lets be honest we had easiest route possible and lost all 3 matches against decent opposition and so far at the Euro's we don't appear to have improved at all from back then.  Find it strange that you do not judge a football manager on his football managing performance?

No progress since WC 2018?  He's evolved half the team since then.  We had about six players involved last night that still only have about 5-10 caps.  Players that he's nurtured over the last two years and tried in different systems and given them opportunities at the right time... instead of every game just chucking the best eleven down based on their club results and hoping that somehow it magically works (Eriksson et al, various)

Along the way we've beaten Spain and Croatia and Belgium in the Nations League and went through 2020 qualifying scoring more goals than anybody else in Europe.  People keep saying we're too vulnerable at the back as well, but we've only conceded one goal in our last eight games... despite playing without our first choice centre back and our first choice holding midfielder who should both come back in for the knockouts.

Really not sure what people want from him.  The really big games only come round once or twice in a two-year cycle.  Judge him when we've played a France or a Portugal or a Germany in the R16, not when we've stumbled past Scotland in a game that ultimately won't matter.

Edited by Rob1981

Last night just shows why Jordan Henderson is our best midfielder. No leadership in the front 6 at all, lack of tempo at times. This is what he brings, and you can see it all missing when he’s not in there. Of course we have other issues too. I trust Kane to find his form because he’s WC and has a WC mentality. More importantly we need to sort the wing situation out. Give Sancho some game time against Czech.

There's a reason we haven't conceded much.  2dms because the defence are rocky without having 2 in front protecting.  Same problem at utd and means our attacking talent gets hamstrung. If we can't create much v Scotland or a poor Croatia,  how are we going to create chances against better teams where we will have to sit and defend more? 

1 hour ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

So why do you get annoyed when people criticise England's performances? It was the same before/after Croatia.

You've seen Rob post during tournaments before. Right? 😉

43 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

.eally not sure what people want from him.  The really big games only come round once or twice in a two-year cycle.  Judge him when we've played a France or a Portugal or a Germany in the R16, not when we've stumbled past Scotland in a game that ultimately won't matter.

Or draw with Sweden/Slovakia in the R16 and go out on penalties because we can't break down a defensive team. That's why this sort of performance gets a criticism.

Maybe Southgate goes for it when the prospect of drawing is more harmful for our chances of progressing but little of that was in evidence in previous matches.

17 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Or draw with Sweden/Slovakia in the R16 and go out on penalties because we can't break down a defensive team. That's why this sort of performance gets a criticism.

Maybe Southgate goes for it when the prospect of drawing is more harmful for our chances of progressing but little of that was in evidence in previous matches.

Well we have shown various times that we will go and attack bigger teams in a way that Capello, Hodgson etc. often wouldn’t. Let’s see who we get first.

Still finding it quite refreshing that the players don’t all hate being there together, that’s a good platform to build from.

Would much rather us face the so called bigger teams as with 2 DM we are more likely to play better with more space for the front three to operate. 

For the Czech game, I would guess we go with: 

Pickford

Trippier Maguire Stones Shaw

Henderson Rice 

Mount

Sterling Kane Grealish

> DCL, Sancho, Bellingham, Coady to get second half minutes

Besides if we go out I'd much rather it be against a bigger side than something like a Sweden or Slovakia (who won't be pushovers either)

16 hours ago, Darius1998 said:

Should always have someone who can see most of the team in front of him as captain.

tbf Kane faces the rest of the team as it is. 

16 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Always the excuse for him.

Yeah, was the same excuse being made for him at the WC in 2018 too. That he was carrying a knock. It's nonsense. He's lazy and thinks he's untouchable. I was pleased to see him subbed with a good amount of time left on the clock last night. 20 minutes to go, 0-0 vs Scotland and Southgate made a big call in taking off our no.9 and captain which was of course the right call, Kane was crap last night. Should've been subbed earlier if anything. 

16 hours ago, john1 said:

I don't see Kane, trying to encourage his team.....

He's not that sort of captain. Never has been. He's leads the team by his performances, as we saw last night. :brock:

16 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

England isn't getting past first elimination round.

When I was looking at the route through the tournament for England, potential opponents in the KOs etc I had us down for a last 16 exit to one of France/Germany/Portugal and nothing has changed my view on that. 

12 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

France game was the only game I've missed (caught about the last 25 mins or so) so can't really comment on them or Germany. 

Italy yeah, Belgium have looked good for about a half each in their games, but if you can score goals like the 2 against Denmark and KDB is ready to start then they'll be a threat. I haven't looked into the route to the final though.

In fairness I think people like me have clouded your view. I think Southgate is awful and I'll hammer him a lot, but I'm not English. I think he's just about on par, but has been boring while getting to it. You probably should have sacked him off after the World Cup.

I mean, that is a nonsense tbf. Whether you like Southgate or not, whether you think he's good enough for England, to lead them to a trophy or not, if the FA had sacked him after getting us to a WC SF in 2018 there would've been an uproar, it would've been ridiculously stupid and harsh. 

Regardless of how we do in this tournament, his job is safe, He'll get at least one more tournament for sure. 

4 hours ago, Peterj said:

There’s way too much bed wetting from England fans over one mediocre performance (and we were hardly played off the park and had a couple of presentable chances ourselves). This is what tournament football is like and everyone here was good enough and organised enough to get results. Nobody is going to roll over and England is a second tier team lacking in world class creative talent. We have an outside chance and are advantaged by playing at home but we just aren’t a side capable of blowing teams away. It wasn’t the greatest performance and we were below par , but every tournament winner has games like this and throwing our hands up and despairing over one poor performance in a game we didn’t even lose is an over reaction.

BS. 

We've got numerous world class creative talent in the squad.

3 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Pickford been weirdly composed and solid so far. 

Say what you want about his club form over the last couple of years, for England he's never let us down. 

Edited by craigcwwe

I don't for one minute think Kane is lazy, but there's no doubt he's off his game and was at the World Cup. It's a strange one how sluggish he is, looks like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders as well, becomes draining watching him.

Edited by Baptista_8
1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

I don't for one minute think Kane is lazy, but there's no doubt he's off his game and was at the World Cup. It's a strange one how sluggish he is, looks like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders as well, becomes draining watching him.

No talk pre tournament about an injury, was playing for Spurs at the end of the season etc, come tournament time he doesn't even bother trying to move. Was the same at the WC too. What's the crack?

Just now, craigcwwe said:

No talk pre tournament about an injury, was playing for Spurs at the end of the season etc, come tournament time he doesn't even bother trying to move. Was the same at the WC too. What's the crack?

I honestly couldn't tell you, but something in our system isn't helping him. I'd say he's quite a driven character so there's no way he'd turn up to a Euros and be lazy.

16 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I honestly couldn't tell you, but something in our system isn't helping him. I'd say he's quite a driven character so there's no way he'd turn up to a Euros and be lazy.

It is bizarre. He's just ambling around the pitch, has been the same for both games at these Euro's. He looks so slow as well, sure he's never had that blistering pace but last night we played the ball forward, Sterling got it and there was nobody for him to pass it to, was outnumbered by the Scottish, Kane was trying to get up in support on the overlap and it was like he was towing a truck and the move broke down. 

It's a pattern with him now at this point in tournament football. Over half a dozen games he's been like this in the last two tournaments.

I'm not having it's him carrying an injury or he's got a summer move on his mind because as mentioned, the WC three years ago he was the exact same as this. 

Edited by craigcwwe
6 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

It is bizarre. He's just ambling around the pitch, has been the same for both games at these Euro's. He looks so slow as well, sure he's never had that blistering pace but last night we played the ball forward, Sterling got it and there was nobody for him to pass it too, was outnumbered by the Scottish, Kane was trying to get up in support on the overlap and it was like he was towing a truck and the move broke down. 

It's a pattern with him now at this point in tournament football. Over half a dozen games he's been like this in the last two tournaments.

I'm not having it's him carrying an injury or he's got a summer move on his mind because as mentioned, the WC three years ago he was the exact same as this. 

If we did rule laziness out (I know you think it's that but still), it suggests it's either the system Southgate's used for both tournaments, or burnout from a long season both times. Tbf I couldn't even tell you how Kane looked in the very latter part of this season, didn't watch enough Spurs games.

I don't think Kane, is carrying injury. I think he's being lazy and probably he thinks he's undroppable regardless his performance.

Thought the ref, Lahoz was terrible last night. Didn't let the game flow at all, blowing for every little niggle and contact. Can't say it was a surprise as that's his style but UEFA got the reffing appointment wrong for this one. 

Lazy :D How would that even work?

”Win the Euros Harry, on home soil?”

“Nah mate, don’t fancy it. Just going to keep my head down and see if I can coast through the games without running too much”.

The Kane argument is incredible :D At the World Cup he was performing at a high standard until he picked up an injury v Colombia. Wasn't the same after that.

This year I'm convinced his head isn't in it due to all the issues happening at Spurs/his future

That little shimmy and run into space before being fouled is also far more than Grealish did in the 35 minutes he had ;)

Couldn’t really understand that Sterling penalty decision. There was a near identical pen given by VAR in one of the other games.

When you think that Stones also hit the post with a free header, game could have very easily been 2-1 instead of 0-0. But at least this way the anti-Southgate lobby have something to moan about until Tuesday.

Did VAR even check for a pen? I know Matterface said they didn't, but you simply can't trust a word he says. Look at him ffs.

I'm glad it wasn't given because I don't think those incidents should be, but PL VAR gives it for sure. I think that's why VAR has been better in this tournament than it has been in the PL.

12 minutes ago, Haguey said:

That little shimmy and run into space before being fouled is also far more than Grealish did in the 35 minutes he had ;)

Sterling did more in 90 mins than in 25? Impressive.