Match 21: England vs Scotland - 8pm (BST) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY

We need all day build up for this :) 

After an opening match defeat, Scotland need a win here. A draw keeps them in it as well but beating Croatia in the final game will be a big ask.

England in a much stronger position, a win secures qualification, even a draw would be perfectly fine.

Neville, Souness and Keane doing the punditry for ITV tonight to give the game the full Sky Sports feel.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a strong and convincing performance in the same way that Italy have had a couple of commanding matches. Make a statement. 

A never in doubt 2-0 with some positive team selection in midfield and minutes for Maguire and Henderson please.

Hopefully we pump them 3-0. So Scotland still have a 'chance' final game, but it means beating Croatia by like 5 goals :D 

Wet weather, get some meaty slide tackles in. We zip it around quick, Scotland can't keep up so start to lose their heads and one of their donkey players gets sent off.

Edited by pearcey_90

I dare say everybody else had realised this already, but England have a pathetically easy route to the final. AGAIN!

In no way denying that you English will mess it up, again, and it's really your potential opponents who have it easy, but the only 3 teams I think will win this tournament (France, Belgium and Italy) are in the other half of the draw. (Unless something surprising happens in the rest of the group round of course, and very much hoping for something unexpected in this match).

I would love us to put Portugal or Germany out in the R16. These kids are fearless, they aren’t at all hung up on past failures or thinking about other games we lost to them when they were all still at school.

Another home game at Wembley as well if we top the group, we would beat either of them pretty comfortably I reckon. As long as we don’t get France :D 

9 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

If we top the group we'll be playing 2nd place from group F, so likely France or Portugal (or Germany). "Pathetically easy".

And then likely Spain in the quarter final as well, hardly a cruise to the final. 

29 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Hopefully we pump them 3-0. So Scotland still have a 'chance' final game, but it means beating Croatia by like 5 goals :D 

Wet weather, get some meaty slide tackles in. We zip it around quick, Scotland can't keep up so start to lose their heads and one of their donkey players gets sent off.

something slightly ironic about somebody who supports Newcastle going on about "donkey players" :D

although we do have plenty of them, shame the coach doesn't see it or want to change it

5 minutes ago, Pukey said:

And then likely Spain in the quarter final as well, hardly a cruise to the final. 

I fancy Slovakia to win Group E to be honest.

Portugal at Wembley in the R16, Slovakia in the QF. That would do me.

Took a morning walk over to the town centre this morning. Lots of people in Scotland tops. Lots of Saltires around. It means a lot to people. 

England have a great team and a manager who has harnassed a good culture around the side. There's absolutely no shame in losing to them, especially not at Wembley in a major tournament. I'd love to be positive and predict Scotland coming away with something, but I've kept my expectations in check and I predict a 3-0 win for England. 

32 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

I dare say everybody else had realised this already, but England have a pathetically easy route to the final. AGAIN!

In no way denying that you English will mess it up, again, and it's really your potential opponents who have it easy, but the only 3 teams I think will win this tournament (France, Belgium and Italy) are in the other half of the draw. (Unless something surprising happens in the rest of the group round of course, and very much hoping for something unexpected in this match).

"you English". So many people on this forum go all weird when England are involved

13 minutes ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

Genuinely find it sad that Gazza only ever played in two international tournaments. 

Euro 92 - injury

USA 94 - England didn't qualify

World Cup 98 - told by Hoddle he wasn't going and didn't take too kindly to it, although had himself and his pals to blame for that one

would have almost certainly have been in the Euro 92/USA 94 squads, made a difference to that 92 squad as well

Edited by TM

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Special Friday morning prize if you can name the #16 and the #18 in that photo... Le Tounoi's forgotten men.

Lee Clark is 18, no idea who 16 is though

42 minutes ago, Pukey said:

It’s for the best tbh.

Get all of the reasonable teams out of the way early so that we smash whichever pathetic EU nation (probably those mayonnaise drinking Belgian bureaucrats) we get in the final 5-0.

John Scales :applause:

Well done that man.  Three England caps in friendlies under Venables in 95, then cut from the Euro 96 squad.  Absolutely no memory of him getting back in the squad with Glenn Hoddle.

Tbf I think England have a tough draw for once. Ok it's pretty much all at home, which makes a difference, but their path could well be Portugal/Germany > Spain > Holland/Portugal/Germany

Third place in Group F is also quite likely to finish in their half of the draw too. So even whoever they don't play in the round of 16 from that group, they may well meet anyway in the semis

Obviously if Spain don't do the business that becomes a lot easier

Edited by Astafjevs

The absolute scenes when Griffiths fired in his free-kicks. Shame he's totally went off the boil. 

Stuart Armstrong will never be forgiven for costing us the points late on...unless he does something about it tonight ;)

11 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

It was clearly a bait post. England don't have it any 'easier' than any other major nation if they are to make the final but the guy only mentions England which says it all. 

No, it wasn't. Maybe I'm wrong about which nations are the strongest, but they are ranked as follows by the bookies

France 

Italy

England

Belgium

Portugal

Spain

Germany

Netherlands

France, Italy, Belgium and probably either Portugal or Germany will be in the other half. I'm not saying that Spain and Netherlands are rubbish, but it's not just my opinion. The consensus is that 3 of the top 4 teams are in one half of the draw, and honestly I'm not sure if bookies in other countries see England as the 3rd favourites. 

But fine, I'll comparative you; ridiculously easier.

Edited by vikeologist

I don't really get why people are so hung up on "easier" draws? it didn't happen in 2016 for England when they came up against the so called much easier side Iceland?

not as if England themselves make the draw and it's not as if others wouldn't do the same? if you could make things easier for yourself in any walk of life, practically everybody would do it? :D I wouldn't consider Portugal or Germany (if it's them) easy teams for a R16 match, not England's fault if Spain don't make it through either to any potential QF

2 minutes ago, TM said:

I don't really get why people are so hung up on "easier" draws? it didn't happen in 2016 for England when they came up against the so called much easier side Iceland?

not as if England themselves make the draw and it's not as if others wouldn't do the same? if you could make things easier for yourself in any walk of life, practically everybody would do it? :D I wouldn't consider Portugal or Germany (if it's them) easy teams for a R16 match, not England's fault if Spain don't make it through either to any potential QF

Exactly and it only ever seems to be criticism that England faces. Never hear about it in regards to other nations. It's downright weird.

There is a certain bitterness in the "easier draw" stuff. It tries to play down anything that England might achieve by having an excuse ready. If you come through a qualification campaign and then go on to win the European Championships, you've done something right. All the work that goes on to make England a stronger team than most sides they face shouldn't be overshadowed by petty remarks about having it easy. All the coaching that has produced Sterling, Foden, Sancho, Kane etc could come to fruition this year. 

You can only beat what's in front of you. 

22 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

There is a certain bitterness in the "easier draw" stuff. It tries to play down anything that England might achieve by having an excuse ready. If you come through a qualification campaign and then go on to win the European Championships, you've done something right. All the work that goes on to make England a stronger team than most sides they face shouldn't be overshadowed by petty remarks about having it easy. All the coaching that has produced Sterling, Foden, Sancho, Kane etc could come to fruition this year. 

You can only beat what's in front of you. 

Absolutely this. It's really bad faith stuff. 

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Took a morning walk over to the town centre this morning. Lots of people in Scotland tops. Lots of Saltires around. It means a lot to people. 

England have a great team and a manager who has harnassed a good culture around the side. There's absolutely no shame in losing to them, especially not at Wembley in a major tournament. I'd love to be positive and predict Scotland coming away with something, but I've kept my expectations in check and I predict a 3-0 win for England. 

I'm English and am predicting a 2-1 win.  I think it'll be quite close to be honest as it's a Derby and most of the players will be quite familiar with each other.  I watched Scotland the other day and thought they looked alright.  They just lack a couple of strikers really.  My concern about England is the football they play.  I think Southgate is largely safety first and it's a bit negative at times.  I think he sets up teams to do just what they have to do.  Which is probably fine in a tournament.  But i'd like to see a bit more of an attacking threat tonight.  Whatever happens I hope both teams can progress in the tournament.

Tbf the draw does matter, yes you can only beat what's in front of you but doing it in succession against good teams is obviously harder than coasting and pulling one big performance out the bag.

3 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Scotland fans at 19.59 this evening:

Talking 'Braveheart' At 25 With Screenwriter Randall Wallace

Scotland fans at 20.45:

The only time I've ever watched Braveheart was before the '96 match to pump myself up. There are many reasons not to watch it again, Mel Gibson being the main one, knowing actual Scottish / William Wallace history being another, but even without that, the association is painful.

2 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

The only time I've ever watched Braveheart was before the '96 match to pump myself up. There are many reasons not to watch it again, Mel Gibson being the main one, knowing actual Scottish / William Wallace history being another, but even without that, the association is painful.

I have a feeling that tonight will feel like what happens to William Wallace at the end of Braveheart. 

Uri Gellar said on Radio 5 earlier than he's going to make Scotland win today because he felt guilty making England win in Euro 96.

England are done for!