Gegenpress 4-2-3-1 Preset - Is it OP?

Just a question really to see if people have had similar experiences to mine.

I was playing my save struggling tactically, and in search of just something simple I used the 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress tactic and have to say it has been fantastic and recaptured my enthusiasm.

Has any one else had any success with this preset tactic or any of the others for that matter.

On 20/06/2021 at 07:18, mibsweden said:

It is very good. So is the control possession. 

I will have to try this one out. I did try the tiki-taka 4-2-3-1 and it does play some nice football albeit it toothless at times.

I have been running a pretty low effort set up of the Genepress 4-2-3-1 preset, and switching to the Gegenpress 4-3-3 preset when in need of a goal, or playing narrow formations. Playing in Serie A you tend to encounter a lot more different types of formations, and the 4-3-3 seems to play wider and exploit that space.

7 hours ago, poobington said:

What sort of remedies?

Hahaha i was about to ask that, i had an ok time with it but i was unsure what to change and ultimately didn't change anything for fear of breaking it, what works logically in my head doesn't exactly translate with tactics 😅

On 22/06/2021 at 15:17, Rashidi said:

This preset and the vertical tiki taka presets are very strong but they aren't OP because they have some flaws which are easily remedied.

I've been using the vertical tiki taka 5-2-1-2 WB with Ajax (recommended by Assistant Manager for my team) and I'm struggling to score goals. I either draw, lose (more often than not without scoring) or win 1-0 so would be keen to know what changes you think will help :)

Edited by ShirazS

On 17/06/2021 at 16:52, poobington said:

Just a question really to see if people have had similar experiences to mine.

I was playing my save struggling tactically, and in search of just something simple I used the 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress tactic and have to say it has been fantastic and recaptured my enthusiasm.

Has any one else had any success with this preset tactic or any of the others for that matter.

Hey mate. How's your save with the gegenpress preset tactics? Did you make any tweaks?

None at all. I actually looked at some of @Rashidi's Creating: Tactics series (the 4-3-3 one and the 4-2-3-1) and I am using the overload tactics he has there. If I am in need of a goal though I'll just switch to the 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress tactic and grab a few goals. The high press on that tactic is really great and I usually get a mistake out of the opposition which leads to a goal.

Over a whole season it was good, but consistency was an issue, but that may have been down to a lack of depth in my squad. I have bolstered my squad quite a bit, so next season I will try again the whole season and see how it does.

2 hours ago, poobington said:

None at all. I actually looked at some of @Rashidi's Creating: Tactics series (the 4-3-3 one and the 4-2-3-1) and I am using the overload tactics he has there. If I am in need of a goal though I'll just switch to the 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress tactic and grab a few goals. The high press on that tactic is really great and I usually get a mistake out of the opposition which leads to a goal.

Over a whole season it was good, but consistency was an issue, but that may have been down to a lack of depth in my squad. I have bolstered my squad quite a bit, so next season I will try again the whole season and see how it does.

Could you share them with me so I could have a look

18 hours ago, Macgreg said:

Thanks mate. Could you help with your tactical setup 

I don't know what you mean? I either use the overload tactic from the video (just copy the roles Daljit uses) or I use the Gegepress 4-2-3-1. The most important thing I have found is squad building, and identifying the right sort of players who can perform well.

An example I would use at the moment is my IFa Tahith Chong. He is a mercurial talent, very quick great dribbler, but his metals are a bit on the low side. Now he has got youth on his side and might improve in that respect, but at the moment he is quite inconsistent, and there are times where due to his lower mental attributes he makes the wrong decision, electing to dribble to long rather than pass.

As I am using high pressing systems I have set a minimum requirement of 15 workrate for all my players. Only excpetionla players get a free pass, and even then I would not go lower than 13. Setting myself these restrictions has allowed me to unearth some great players. My personal favourite has been Lyes Houri. A hardworking, extremely creative French midfielder who I signed for £2.6m from the Hungarian Premier League.

5 minutes ago, poobington said:

I don't know what you mean? I either use the overload tactic from the video (just copy the roles Daljit uses) or I use the Gegepress 4-2-3-1. The most important thing I have found is squad building, and identifying the right sort of players who can perform well.

An example I would use at the moment is my IFa Tahith Chong. He is a mercurial talent, very quick great dribbler, but his metals are a bit on the low side. Now he has got youth on his side and might improve in that respect, but at the moment he is quite inconsistent, and there are times where due to his lower mental attributes he makes the wrong decision, electing to dribble to long rather than pass.

As I am using high pressing systems I have set a minimum requirement of 15 workrate for all my players. Only excpetionla players get a free pass, and even then I would not go lower than 13. Setting myself these restrictions has allowed me to unearth some great players. My personal favourite has been Lyes Houri. A hardworking, extremely creative French midfielder who I signed for £2.6m from the Hungarian Premier League.

Really insightful. I wanted to know if you stuck to the 4231 gegenpress preset roles reason I asked to share your tactics file.

2 hours ago, TaPele said:

With any gegenpress tactic you're automatically granted with success. It's the terrible truth of the game

Thing is I wanted to understand why? I was hoping that some tacticians more well versed in the game could help me unpack what is going on and understand it a bit better so that I might be able to try my own tactic. For example I am very keen to be able to create a 4-4-2 gegenpress tactic akin to what Ralf Rangnick implemented at RB Salzburg and Leipzig.

6 hours ago, Macgreg said:

Really insightful. I wanted to know if you stuck to the 4231 gegenpress preset roles reason I asked to share your tactics file.

For the 4-2-3-1 it is literally exactly out of the box, no changes to anything. Again having the right players is extremely important. If you don't have an attacking RB, but do have an attacking LB then it is relatively simple to flip the tactic around, as there are no PIs on the players.