Match 14: Turkey vs Wales - 5pm BST - BBC1 - Baku

craigcwwe

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again like the Italy game i dont want to take anythign away from Wales it was a well deserved win but Turkey are the worst team ive watched at this tournament by quite a distance. Theres just absolutely nothing about them at all, they cant pass to each other, they had no midfield and i thought they were just appalling all over the pitch.

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Can’t see Wales getting anything here. When Turkey suddenly look really decent here everyone will realise just how good Italy were in the opener.

Think Wales’s best hope is Italy winning again tonight and then resting players against them on Matchday 3.

Another solid prediction here.

2 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

What a ****** stadium. Welsh fans are in a different ****ing postcode to the pitch ffs. 

Heard Turkmenistan is closer to the commentary box than the pitch and that place is across the sea!

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Thats why Bale is there, legs are gone, proper selfish, but still got the quality to do that :D

His loan at Spurs is considered by many to have been a failure/waste of time but he scored 1 goal every 104 minutes whilst there :D 

His PL strike rate was 1 every 83 minutes. He is nowhere near as good as he used to be, of that there is no doubt.

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Why does Gabby keep calling him 'Mark Hughes' and not just 'Mark'? She's been doing it all game and it's annoying. :D 

She could call him Sparky but would probably be accused of trying to flirt with him by some nutters on Twitter :p

Honestly can't believe how bad Turkey have been. Remember watching their game against France couple years ago, and the Holland one this year and they looked real good. Defensively a joke here, but going forward they've looked drunk and never played together :D Baffling.

10 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I think Wales are a poor team, not as good as 2016, but tbh their goal is to make the knockouts and they've pretty much done that now. MIght even finish second and get a better draw

They're not as good as 2016, no. Because our world class players were at their peak and our players at the next levels down were all at theirs too.

This squad is a very different one to that one, this is largely a young group rather than a mature one, but we're far from a poor team.

38 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

What a ****** stadium. Welsh fans are in a different ****ing postcode to the pitch ffs. 

Indeed. Also - why is it called "Olympic Stadium"? The closest Azerbaijan was to holding the Olympic Games was being a part of Soviet Union during Moscow 1980 :D 

32 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

They're not as good as 2016, no. Because our world class players were at their peak and our players at the next levels down were all at theirs too.

This squad is a very different one to that one, this is largely a young group rather than a mature one, but we're far from a poor team.

Give it a few years with regular qualifying for major tournaments, and this could be the new golden generation.

33 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

"world class playerS"?

14 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Indeed. Also - why is it called "Olympic Stadium"? The closest Azerbaijan was to holding the Olympic Games was being a part of Soviet Union during Moscow 1980 :D 

"Olympic Stadium may also be named a multi-purpose stadium which hosts Olympic sports"

11 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Bale & Ramsey were both world class in 2016. They're still capable of world class performances now.

Other players like Williams & Allen were a level below but playing at their absolute peak. 

Sorry, but Ramsey has never been world class. This is a bit too much praise for this guy. 

This is like saying, in 2016 Nuri Sahin or Kevin Kampl was world class

Edited by Carambau

Wales would have beaten Portugal if they had their best XI playing in that game. Ramsey being suspended was a major blow to us. 

I said on here all the way up to the tournament,  that while Wales didn't have the greatest squad, that their best XI were a match for any side. Everybody laughed at me and mocked me. Then our best XI got to the semi final and people understood what I meant.

The wheels only came off when we lost two of our best players, one before the game and another in Allen early in the first half. Ramsey was fantastic back then, he's still fantastic now when he's fully fit. Being the main player to propel your team to an international semi final and being named in the team of the tournament makes you world class in my book.

I dont think Wales would have beaten Portugal, regardless if they played with their best XI or not. Portugal were a better team. Ramsey would have changed nothing.

So... Joe Allen and Dimitri Payet must have been labeled world class then too?

Edited by Carambau

Ramsey was world class during that tournament. Rubbish in qualifying but he turned it on when it mattered. Ben Davies was also our best defender, missed them both greatly in the semi. Joe Allen team of the tournament and deservedly so.

Bale was a better player then and carried us there but wasn't anything special in the tournament itself. Think we've got a better team now, DJ is a genuine threat and Moore is better than any centre forward option we were using back then. We're not a 1-2 man team any more, there's other things to worry about than a bit of Bale and Ramsey magic after 85 minutes of industrial defending. And there were some right average players bulking out the 2016 side (Taylor, Edwards, Ledley, Cotterill, Vaughn, Jazz Richards...). A few of the hangers-on are still lurking but hopefully won't get on the pitch when it counts.

Sure, give Gunter another pity cap against Italy so he can pretend he isn't the 5th or 6th best Welsh right back available these days and enjoy his holiday with his mates. Otherwise relegated to Ramsey's hug-buddy rather than being an ever-present starter as he was then.

Biggest areas of concern for me were Mepham and Morrell and they were both excellent today. Davies also superb after a poor Switzerland showing.