Jump to content

Marko Arnautović seems to have been suspended on the UEFA website


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Confused Clarity said:

You're blaming the victims of genocide and ethnic cleansing for them being the victims of genocide and ethic cleansing.

So yeah, I'd say you said something wrong that I disagree with.

What genocide?
Anyways, I don't see where I'm doing that, but if I did it wasn't my intention.

6 hours ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

There is also the point I made earlier that the Serbian High Courts have ruled that word to be offensive as it is used not only to denigrate ethic Albanians but is also used as a slur to insult other Serbs.

I've done enough looking around to see a lot of Albanians find the word offensive and of course there is no way that that Arnautovic meant it in any way other than an insult or he wouldn't have come out with his half-baked apology.

See, I had no idea about this. I was always under impression that it was just another way to call Albanians. We already know he insulted the other player, so yeah in that context he did use that word in an insulting way.
Some people have gone way overboard though, calling him racist, thinking he made some "white power" signs or w/e. Besides, people will immediately shout racism at anything that they deem offensive. I would stop at calling him a chauvinist, nothing more than that.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, johnhughthom said:

Gunman has a partner now. Nice.

Not a particularly smart one mind. given the court rulings don't back their points here. Not sure people are trying to defend something Arnautovic is already backpedalling from

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Heartwork said:

You don't deny the ethnic cleansing though

Am I supposed to? Both sides did ****ed up things, including ethnic cleansing.

42 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Not a particularly smart one mind. given the court rulings don't back their points here. Not sure people are trying to defend something Arnautovic is already backpedalling from

I guess this is referring to me? Nice way to call someone stupid, good on you. Especially nice coming from a moderator.

Anyways, I don't know who Gunman is, and I'm definitely not his "partner".

It's not like I have to be correct about everything all the time, we are having a discussion. I may have been incorrect about something and I got corrected, simple.

Btw I'm not defending what Arnautovic did, but some people are turning that whole situation into something it's not.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Falahk said:

Lets get this straight, is it racist to call an Englishman, English? 

This is pretty much what some of you are implying

No. It is racist to call an Irishman a Paddy, for example. 

Why would Arnautovic even mention his nationality/ethnicity if he is using a neutral word for it? Forget it, he knew perfectly well what he was saying and meant to insult him. Arnautovic has also admitted to it and said sorry, so what is the point defending that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, DJ said:

Why would Arnautovic even mention his nationality/ethnicity if he is using a neutral word for it?

Because in the Balkans, when people argue and try to insult a person of a nation they don't like, they add that person's nationality at the end of an insult. It's quite common.

He already did insult him by saying "I f-ed your mother", people just add random stuff to insults, so this one was pretty mild.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, (sic) said:

Am I supposed to? Both sides did ****ed up things, including ethnic cleansing.

I guess this is referring to me? Nice way to call someone stupid, good on you. Especially nice coming from a moderator.

Anyways, I don't know who Gunman is, and I'm definitely not his "partner".

It's not like I have to be correct about everything all the time, we are having a discussion. I may have been incorrect about something and I got corrected, simple.

Btw I'm not defending what Arnautovic did, but some people are turning that whole situation into something it's not.

 

I didn't refer to you at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DJ said:

No. It is racist to call an Irishman a Paddy, for example. 

Why would Arnautovic even mention his nationality/ethnicity if he is using a neutral word for it? Forget it, he knew perfectly well what he was saying and meant to insult him. Arnautovic has also admitted to it and said sorry, so what is the point defending that? 

This. What Arnautovic did was was the equivalent of calling a Pakistani a ****. Which makes it much worse. He used a slur for their nationality and ethnicity (and something ruled as such by the Serbian High Court, so it's not just an opinion), which is pretty bigoted and would be seen as racist (it literally fits the definition) . And that's what he's getting slammed for. As said lucky not to get more than a 1 game ban

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, (sic) said:

Because in the Balkans, when people argue and try to insult a person of a nation they don't like, they add that person's nationality at the end of an insult. It's quite common.

He already did insult him by saying "I f-ed your mother", people just add random stuff to insults, so this one was pretty mild.

What that tells me is that racism and xenophobia are rampant where you live.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Heartwork said:

What that tells me is that racism and xenophobia are rampant where you live.

And how did you come to that conclusion?

I'd actually say I live in one of the least racist places in Europe. It really shouldn't be surprising for you that a lot of people in the Balkans dislike each other though, given the history over the past 100 years. I wouldn't call that racism though.

We've never really had problem with racism in this country, which can't be said for many Western-European countries, that still to this day need to tell people that being racist is bad.

 

1 hour ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

it's the Balkans. Add homophobia and misogyny to the mix (my very own stereotyped xenophobic contribution :D)

Well I'm glad you noticed it yourself. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, (sic) said:

...I'd actually say I live in one of the least racist places in Europe. It really shouldn't be surprising for you that a lot of people in the Balkans dislike each other though, given the history over the past 100 years. I wouldn't call that racism though...

And really this is the crux of the issue, most people in ex-Yugoslav countries/with ex-Yu backgrounds don't even recognise that their particular brand of racism is actually racism; as much as many countries in the West also have problems with racism, the general consensus is at least that there is still something that needs to be tackled. (well, as long as we're not talking about prejudice towards Romani people...)

As long as it's still common for people to chant 'umrite siptare' or the suchlike at matches in Belgrade without anyone in the country batting an eye, the racism will persist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hazzaj said:

And really this is the crux of the issue, most people in ex-Yugoslav countries/with ex-Yu backgrounds don't even recognise that their particular brand of racism is actually racism; as much as many countries in the West also have problems with racism, the general consensus is at least that there is still something that needs to be tackled. (well, as long as we're not talking about prejudice towards Romani people...)

As long as it's still common for people to chant 'umrite siptare' or the suchlike at matches in Belgrade without anyone in the country batting an eye, the racism will persist.

The actual problem is that the definition of racism is getting so twisted nowadays.

I agree with the last part. That's not only the case with Serbia though. For example, Serbs who go to Croatia during summer on vacations are constantly getting harassed and attacked...that's an even bigger issue than some "ultras" chanting stuff. Croatian government doesn't care, they probably have no issue with it. Even the Serbs which didn't flee the country during the war are to this day getting harassed, their businesses being destroyed etc. But it's not a racism issue. Those are people of same race, ethno-linguistic group, etc...

It's the similar thing with Albania, more precise with Albanians that live in Kosovo & Metohija. They are constantly harassing remaining Serbian population that's living there, is it a racism issue though?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true that racism as a term isn't always technically applied correctly, but it doesn't really matter if hate speech is of a racial, ethnic, cultural or religious nature - it's all bigotry and needs to be stamped out. The "oh at least it's not racism" line doesn't make any of it more acceptable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Hazzaj said:

As long as it's still common for people to chant 'umrite siptare' or the suchlike at matches in Belgrade without anyone in the country batting an eye, the racism will persist.

That is definitely racism, thought just saying siptare is not

On 21/06/2021 at 01:49, (sic) said:

Because in the Balkans, when people argue and try to insult a person of a nation they don't like, they add that person's nationality at the end of an insult. It's quite common.

I don't think they realize just how accurate this is, it's just simply how Balkan peapol argue, been on the receiving end of a couple of those jibbes from my ex gf, well deserved I might add, acted like a knobb and she called me out on it

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/06/2021 at 17:44, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

It's true that racism as a term isn't always technically applied correctly, but it doesn't really matter if hate speech is of a racial, ethnic, cultural or religious nature - it's all bigotry and needs to be stamped out. The "oh at least it's not racism" line doesn't make any of it more acceptable.

There we go. That's correct and I agree with you, you shouldn't be looked down upon because of your race,religion, culture etc.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...