Rolling team of the tournament

brett.spurs

Not watched every game fully but from what I've seen I'll loosely go with:

Olsen
Coufal Lindelof Skriniar Spinazzola
Yarmolenko Locatelli Pogba Insigne
Schick Lukaku

Cheated a bit with Ronaldo on the right but throw in some names and I'll alter it accordingly.

Edited by brett.spurs

2 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Olsen
Spinazzola Lindelof Skriniar Meunier
Pogba Philips Wijnaldum 
Mbappe Lukaku Schick

Honourable mentions:

Kanté
Kroos
Yaremchuk
Yarmolenko
Isak
Ronaldo

You put Spinazzola, Meunier and Mbappe on the wrong sides :brock:

Edited by Baptista_8

Olsen. 

Varane. Toivio. Skriniar.

Coufal.         Phillips.         Spinazzola.

Kante.          Pogba.

Yarmolenko.                          Mbappe. 

Lukaku. 

Just now, Tikka Mezzala said:

Olsen. 

Varane. Toivio. Skriniar.

Coufal.         Phillips.         Spinazzola.

Kante.          Pogba.

Yarmolenko.                          Mbappe. 

Lukaku. 

Just realised there's twelve in there :lol:.

Drop Yarmolenko. 

GK: Hradecky imo. Apart from Olsen, Ward has been quite good as well for Wales and Vaclik had a solid game as well. But the spot will go to a semi-finalist for sure.

RB: Lainer. Not really a right back for Austria but the closest thing to someone worth this. Coufal was solid as well and Meunier was impactful.

DC:  Skriniar. Beast mode. 

DC: Danielson. Very surprised by him. Would also consider Alaba but not sure if it makes sense. Also liked the Czech guy, Celutska I think?

LB: Spinazzola. There's no one else thus far, with Alba a distant second. 

RM: Yarmolenko. Or James after today's game? Berardi also deserves a shout.

MC: Locatelli. 

MC: Pogba. Maybe De Jong. Philips was solid as well. Poor man Eriksen could have been here, was the best player in that half. Wijnaldum also worth a shout, and Pereira of Portugal as well. But by the end of the tournament we all know it'll be Kante.

LM: Bale. I liked Mak. Or Thorgan Hazard? Insigne's 2nd game was rather silent so he misses out. Thus far, it's Bale's spot. 

FW: Schick. Apart from the two goals nothing much, but damn, what a goal... Isak another choice.

FW: Lukaku/Cristiano/Immobile only due to the goals scored, but the first two had offside goals imo and overall weren't really that great. My choice would be Mbappe but the VAR killed his official production so not sure if it should qualify or not.

Edited by Yuko

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

@Yuko has Bale been playing LW and James RW then? I thought they'd be the other way round, but I missed today's game and only saw bits of the Swiss one.

Actually, true, Bale was more on the right side. Either way, they both deserve a shout thus far, not sure who can challenge either spot for the flanks, if we opt for a 4-4-2 here. I think they go for 4-3-3 formations in these awards lately anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

Donnarumma

Spinazzola

Maguire

Christensen

Dumfries

Jorginho

Hojbjerg

Pogba

Sterling

Schick

Insigne

Bench:

Sommer

Maehle

Akanji

Chiellini

Azpilicueta

Busquets

Barella

Pedri

De Bruyne

Lukaku

Benzema

Havertz

Ronaldo

Pickford;
Mæhle, Stones, Christensen, Spinazzola;
Pogba, Jorginho, Pedri;
Forsberg;
Sterling, Schick;

(if you'll excuse the slight excuse at right-back)

Chiellini, Højbjerg, Busquets (surprisingly to me) and Kane among those on the periphery of those still in the tournament

2 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Shaw has to overtake Spinazzola now surely. 

One more performance like he's produced in the knockouts and he would; Spinazzola's been so important to how Italy have played so far though, being able to stretch the pitch and put in deliveries, and also come in on the underlap on occasion - he'll be a massive miss for the semi.

Edited by Hazzaj

Mæhle's spot is locked on that cross. (Put him on the right if you must)

Pogba was player of the tourney, then he undid all the good he did being ridiculous. Gotta drop him after that. 

On 03/07/2021 at 22:05, noikeee said:

Donnarumma

Spinazzola / Maguire / Christensen / Walker

Jorginho / Hojbjerg / Pedri

Sterling / Kane / Insigne

Bench:

Sommer / Schmeichel

Maehle / Shaw / Akanji / Chiellini / Azpilicueta

Busquets / Barella / Pogba / De Bruyne / Verratti

Chiesa / Dani Olmo

Schick / Lukaku / Benzema / Ronaldo

A few changes.

I feel dirty adding Kyle Walker to the starting 11 but I'm really struggling to find a proper RB, at least he's been putting out fires everywhere thanks to his pace. I had Dumfries up until here, but honestly he was crap defending in the round of 16 match, and had only had a good group stage because he had full license to attack.

Pedri has to get into the starting 11 after the extraordinary form he shown, getting better and better in the knockouts; and Kane despite the awful group stage has been extraordinary in the knockouts, and I have to bump him up straight to the starting 11.

On the bench I'm just cheating and adding players indefinitely, why not have 18 subs. :D It's impossible to leave one out of Spinazzola Maehle and Shaw out, despite the fact the 3 play in the same position, they've all been extraordinary. Schmeichel, Chiesa and Olmo deserve to get mentions for their form that also got better and better as the tournament went on, even if Chiesa hadn't been seen much before the knockouts and before he progressively stole Berardi's place, likewise Olmo hasn't always started, but Jesus did he terrorise the Italian defence in the semi-final extra time, or the Croatians in extra time as well in the round of 16. I also have to add Verratti because, although he was a bit crap and hogging too much the ball when he was first added in Locatelli's place, he's grown into it since and looks great not just at playmaking but also at stealing balls all over the place.

Player of the tournament, surprisingly, seems to be a clear case for Raheem Sterling at this stage.

Edited by noikeee

Probably time to bump this.

Donnarumma gets the keeper spot. Had a couple of real horror moments he got away with, but he made the saves that won the tournament. Vaclik is on my bench for being quietly excellent and Olsen made some great saves too. Maybe it could have been Pickford if he'd taken that fifth penalty...

Shaw edges out Spinazzola after a goal and four assists which is insane for a guy who was too defensive to get near the team until recently, though Spinazzola was very, very good to watch going forward

Mahle gets right back, which is a bit of a cheat, but none of the players actually on the right stood out except for Dumfries, who was threatening going forward but unconvincing in defence. 

The centre back pairing is tough. I'm going for Bonucci/Maguire who got important goals as well as clean sheets, but it really could have been Stones/Chiellini or even the winning Bonucci/Chiellini combo

Jorginho takes a centre mid spot for being the fulcrum of the Italy midfield with Pedri whose passing was just ridiculous. Verratti's showing in the final means its not that close between him and Phillips in the end.

Sterling and Chiesa are the wide forwards, as good as Damsgaard, Forsberg and Insigne were. Olmo had his moments too

Schick wins out up front for scoring the goal of the tournament and four in total despite not having the same talent around him as Kane, Lukaku or Ronaldo or Benzema

5 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Probably time to bump this.

Donnarumma gets the keeper spot. Had a couple of real horror moments he got away with, but he made the saves that won the tournament. Vaclik is on my bench for being quietly excellent and Olsen made some great saves too. Maybe it could have been Pickford if he'd taken that fifth penalty...

Shaw edges out Spinazzola after a goal and four assists which is insane for a guy who was too defensive to get near the team until recently, though Spinazzola was very, very good to watch going forward

Mahle gets right back, which is a bit of a cheat, but none of the players actually on the right stood out except for Dumfries, who was threatening going forward but unconvincing in defence. 

The centre back pairing is tough. I'm going for Bonucci/Maguire who got important goals as well as clean sheets, but it really could have been Stones/Chiellini or even the winning Bonucci/Chiellini combo

Jorginho takes a centre mid spot for being the fulcrum of the Italy midfield with Pedri whose passing was just ridiculous. Verratti's showing in the final means its not that close between him and Phillips in the end.

Sterling and Chiesa are the wide forwards, as good as Damsgaard, Forsberg and Insigne were. Olmo had his moments too

Schick wins out up front for scoring the goal of the tournament and four in total despite not having the same talent around him as Kane, Lukaku or Ronaldo or Benzema

You're taking a goal off Schick there, he finished joint-top with Ronaldo on 5.

You could potentially stick Walker at right back, he did play there some matches and had a good tournament.

You're right, should have been four more goals

Did think of Walker who was sound defensively, but he didn't do a lot going forward even when picked in his natural position; Trippier was just about in contention too and might even have got it for that assist if we'd held on. Coufal was one of his team's better players, and Di Lorenzo isn't getting it after being destroyed by Doku 

Nearly mentioned Hojbjerg who had a cracking tournament considering he started by missing an important penalty, but I think he faded out the game against England. Havent mentioned many midfield names tbh: Rice, Barella, Busquets, and Koke were all a bit meh, Locatelli didn't play enough after catching the eye, Pogba threw it away.

Edited by enigmatic

I'd put Hojberg there. Cannot fill the XI with finalists. Jorginho and Pedri next go him. 

Shaw gets left back after scoring in the final, otherwise it was a toss up between him and Maehle. 

I'd give Dumfries the RB slot. Walker the only worthy runner up. 

Forsberg is unlucky to leave early, it's gotta be Sterling on the left. 

And Chiesa on the right.

Leaning towards agreeing with Schick there, but it's probably going to be Kane.