Match 10: Spain vs Sweden - 8pm (BST) BBC1 live from Seville

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Weezer said:

Cheering for Spain in this because booooooo to Sweden for not bringing Zlatan, hope they lose every game.

Is Zlatan even eligible considering that he's under investigation of being involved in a gambling business?

While Spain isn't the powerhouse of recent years, they're still miles ahead of Sweden, should be a relatively easy victory for them.

EUROS PREVIOUS: Spain v Sweden

A Euro 2008 Group Stage meeting here, Spain's tiki-taka generation en route to their first trophy.  Looks like we are lurching towards a 1-1 draw in Innsbruck when Ibrahimovic cancels out Fernando Torres's opener.  But David Villa pops up with a stoppage time winner, and Spain book their place in the quarter finals.  Sweden still have a chance of progress after this defeat but instead they are pumped by Russia on Matchday 3.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

EUROS PREVIOUS: Spain v Sweden

A Euro 2008 Group Stage meeting here, Spain's tiki-taka generation en route to their first trophy.  Looks like we are lurching towards a 1-1 draw in Innsbruck when Ibrahimovic cancels out Fernando Torres's opener.  But David Villa pops up with a stoppage time winner, and Spain book their place in the quarter finals.  Sweden still have a chance of progress after this defeat but instead they are pumped by Russia on Matchday 3.

I love that David Villa goal

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Isak another player I'm excited to see. Not sure if Kulusevski is on the bench...last I heard think he had COVID.

Yeah, Kulusevski is missing the first match due to a positive COVID test a while back.

6 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Someone will be along in a minute to say he's the only player in this tournament that also played in the '94 WC in the States... :D 

He's one of the Euro 2008 survivors, doesn't go back any further than that.

Though I did work out that Pandev played international football against someone who was called up for Italia 90 :D

Just now, Marius_R said:

Sevilla seems like an odd choice to play the game. Any reasoning behind this? 

Was supposed to be at San Mames in Bilbao but I think there was some backlash to that so it got changed.

I think that's what happened anyway.

Something to do with the covid restrictions being more relaxed in the south of Spain than in the north I think, so they moved the games down from Bilbao so they could get a crowd in.

Although they are using this stadium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_de_La_Cartuja

Rather than the Sevilla ground or the Real Betis ground.

Edited by Rob1981

Just now, The Golden boy said:

Spain's outlook feels like they're treating this as a transitional tournament. No Ramos in squad. No Azpi or De Gea starting. Don't know whether Busquets gets back in when he's available. Only exception is Alba over Gaya.

Surely not. Surely you can still transition the players by having them in and around the squad.

I'm certain he sees Llorente, Unai Simon etc as the best options for their position in his system.

I think I'm the only one in the OTF competition who predicted a Sweden win. I'm either going to look like a genius or a clown. :D

Spain are traditonally slow starters at major competitions, aren't they? Meanwhile, Sweden are in excellent form and haven't conceded many goals of late. I'm not sure why they were written off so regularly when we were predicting who would qualify from the groups.

That's a nice stadium, but it's weird it was build in the first place, as both Sevilla and Betis have their own huge stadiums already. 

Must be as much of an white elephant as some of the stadiums build for the 2014 WC :D 

19 minutes ago, The Golden boy said:

Spain's outlook feels like they're treating this as a transitional tournament. No Ramos in squad. No Azpi or De Gea starting. Don't know whether Busquets gets back in when he's available. Only exception is Alba over Gaya.

Don't think you have the luxury of treating tournaments as transition if you're Spain manager

Especially after deciding that no Real Madrid players are good enough for you in a squad which includes Eric Garcia and two empty spaces.