BBC Vs ITV pundits

3 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

BBC, Cesc is great. Not a big fan of Shearer but even he's improving.

I think Shearer is better when he doesn't feel like he needs to act like "one of the lad". Like that one time I saw him as a pundit among two other women players discussing a Prem match. He was actually much better in that environment, more relax and engaging with the others by following up their points or bouncing off what others said. There were more thoughts and reasonings in what he said instead of trying to fall back to the book of football clichés.

BBC is better so far. Gary Neville isn't as good at this as the EPL stuff. He's better when he has strong existing knowledge and has time to analyse and go through stuff with his big screen. 

Thought Lampard was really good too. Much better then Shearer and Rio

5 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Can we all agree Ally McCoist is by far the most commentator? 

Even if I disagree with an opinion of his he's got a very, very infectious personality. It's joyful to watch a game of football he's on, he just seems to love every match. 

20 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Can we all agree Ally McCoist is by far the best commentator? 

Definitely has an energetic buzz about him which makes him a joy to listen to

5 hours ago, Mr Adam said:

ITV lose by default the minute Pougatch starts talking.

Not sure why he has to be in a state of alert constantly.

Lineker's relaxed style wins every day.

I absolutely cannot stand Pougatch.  Probably my least favourite sports anchor of all time.  

19 minutes ago, martinji said:

I absolutely cannot stand Pougatch.  Probably my least favourite sports anchor of all time.  

Wasn't a huge fan of Matt Smith to be honest. Didn't like him all that much, then once when I was getting off a tube train he tried to get on first. RUDE. :mad: 

BBC so much better than ITV!  Gary Neville is absolutely wasted on ITV.  They had three pundits on yesterday but because they have so many adverts during their broadcast the pundits don't really say very much.  Obviously that can be a blessing.  Emma Hayes looks like she has been dragged out of the school dinner hall to do some punditry!  :D

Like @Mr Adam said Mark Pougatch is just awful.  He just tries way too hard and spends most of the time trying to make the most mundane thing interesting.

Ally McCoist and Jim Beglin. Now ain’t that a match made in Heaven? 
So you guys that spend a quarter of your day rating, slating and slagging off commentators, what do you think of Beglin?

Personally think Emma Hayes is extremely insightful and enjoy listening to pretty much anything she talks about. 

Far better than the likes of Keown, Dixon and even an ex-England managers like Hoddle and Keegan that they used to cart out. 

Boring voice for commentary but would make a great analyst. Was very good how she explained playing vs 10 men, closing spaces, etc. Not to be unexpected from a professional football manager though I guess.

Normally massively BBC but this year its a bit split, because of Rio, Jenas the lack of a Motty or Davis is bringing them down. Lineker, Cesc the positives so far.

ITV Pougach is poor, Matterface is terrible, but I do Enjoy Keane, Vieira, Hayes and McCoist is just comfortably the best co-commentator, but no doubt they;ll assign him to the 'lesser' games rhough.

So a mixed bag from both sides. Mick McCarthy is a miss :(

4 hours ago, Haguey said:

Boring voice for commentary but would make a great analyst. Was very good how she explained playing vs 10 men, closing spaces, etc. Not to be unexpected from a professional football manager though I guess.

I think this was the issue. Hayes should have been the 3rd person not the second. Have a second person to add more flavour, and Hayes bringing the real insight as your match analyst. Might have been a budget thing though. But I enjoyed it, think she's been better than most other co-comms

She was absolutely miles better than Murphy. ****ing dreadful he is. 

21 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Who has Eni Aluko? Dreadful pundit and person. 

I was already to  hashtag#woke ask you what about Aluko you found so unpleasant.

Then I actually did a research. Definitely agreeing dreadful person.

9 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Should hear the commentator on the Copa America :D

I imagine they are the international feed commentators supplied by the tournaments and the BBC decided against paying for their own because they'll probably get very few views.

11 hours ago, EdL said:

Normally massively BBC but this year its a bit split, because of Rio, Jenas the lack of a Motty or Davis is bringing them down. Lineker, Cesc the positives so far.

ITV Pougach is poor, Matterface is terrible, but I do Enjoy Keane, Vieira, Hayes and McCoist is just comfortably the best co-commentator, but no doubt they;ll assign him to the 'lesser' games rhough.

So a mixed bag from both sides. Mick McCarthy is a miss :(

Ally and Clive are doing the France V Germany game for ITV tonight and Denmark V Belgium on Thursday afternoon :cool:

1 hour ago, TM said:

Ally and Clive are doing the France V Germany game for ITV tonight and Denmark V Belgium on Thursday afternoon :cool:

Clive/Ally are also on the England vs Scotland game Friday night. 

22 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

not for Scottish viewers though, we've probably got The Proclaimers doing it

With Jenas becoming more visual in terms of being on various shows - I wonder if he is being lined up as Lineker's eventual MotD replacement?

Mind, he can talk a glass eye to sleep.

23 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

With Jenas becoming more visual in terms of being on various shows - I wonder if he is being lined up as Lineker's eventual MotD replacement?

Really hope not

2 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Where did you see that? I thought the whole point of Matterface's promotion was to do the England games. Hope you're right.

51 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

Where did you see that? I thought the whole point of Matterface's promotion was to do the England games. Hope you're right.

Mark Pougatch said it yesterday. 

Also they are on for tonight's France vs Germany game. :thup:

Seems very odd to be glad when a game is on ITV, don't watch all that much of the studio stuff but their commentary teams are miles ahead (even Matterface which says a lot). It's a shame the iPlayer delay is so long that listening to the 5Live coverage isn't really feasible unless you don't mind knowing what happened before you see it.

15 hours ago, StevehFC said:

I may tune in for the ITV coverage for this reason. 

I reckon STV will do the presenter + pundit thing (Scotland Today sports team with Moyes/Collins) but they'll take the ITV commentary team unless Rob McLean does the freelance commentary as he's done for BT/BBC etc this year. 

Maybe Gerry McNee can make the comeback, although I think he's retired from broadcasting