Role familiarity, or lack thereof

Yeah, that little familiarity bar always scares me a little bit. I've always heard there is no role familiarity, but then why does that bar exist? I will say that I have had plenty of players who are capable of regularly performing well in roles for which they lack familiarity.

9 hours ago, stopazricky said:

As stated by SI themselves, there's no such thing as role familiarity.

...So what does the bar (Pos/Role/Duty) mean in the tactical familiarity screen of a given player? Is there any advantage in having it maxed out?

I can just tell you, that I have better results if the players are familar with their role.

however, how much and what exactly it does, I don’t know

I think its Role suitability that does not exist, or does not matter. Its just based on all the Attribute points, and will change if those change and thus cannot be learned or improved directly but indirectly by training the correct Attributes . This does not affect players ability to play football. Someone with a red/black circle (fm20) or no stars in fm21 can still play football. They might just not do what the role says that well all the time.

ne4hQZl.png

The Position/Role/Duty is not affected or a result/presentation based on Attribute poins in the same way. The game says it negatively affects "the teams tactical cohesion" just read the text under the green bars in my picture.

I think that "teams tactical cohesion" is a FM game term/idea that does not exist in real life, but I think it negatively affects the matches similar to how bad normal Team Cohesion does.

udtB4xF.png

People get role suitability mixed up and call it role familiarity, when it isn't. That's where it started.

Role suitability, as on that screenshot above, is an indicator giving you a quick idea on whether a player is deemed suitable for a role. It's your assistant telling you that based on his attribute spread, he'd be a better winger than inside forward, for example. It's just an indicator though and there are no penalties (like there is for playing someone out of position) for playing a player in any other role, even ones they don't seem to be suitable for. Saying that, while playing a player with 3 for tackling as a BWM is possible, you should expect a lot of missed tackles and/or fouls.

Position/Role/Duty is part of tactical familiarity. So, like in the screenshot above, it's Gaye's tactical familiarity with that position/role/duty in that tactic.

11 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Position/Role/Duty is part of tactical familiarity. So, like in the screenshot above, it's Gaye's tactical familiarity with that position/role/duty in that tactic.

So, does having that bar empty make a player perform worse? The in-game text seems to indicate that it does, however, if that was the case, then that would mean that Role familiarity DOES in fact exist, and that it exists as a segment of tactical familiarity (alongside Passing Style Familiarity and so on).

This would also mean that switching players around mid-game would have a detrimental impact on their performance no matter their position familiarity, which is something @Experienced Defender - who posted about it in the quickfire thread in the tactics subforum - doesn't consider plausible.

I'm tagging him because maybe he can shed some more light on this subject? I posted here and not in the tactics subforum because I don't believe it's strictly a tactics-oriented topic, but I can see quite a bit of overlap.

Thanks for everyone's input by the way :)

3 hours ago, stopazricky said:

So, does having that bar empty make a player perform worse? The in-game text seems to indicate that it does, however, if that was the case, then that would mean that Role familiarity DOES in fact exist, and that it exists as a segment of tactical familiarity (alongside Passing Style Familiarity and so on).

This would also mean that switching players around mid-game would have a detrimental impact on their performance no matter their position familiarity, which is something @Experienced Defender - who posted about it in the quickfire thread in the tactics subforum - doesn't consider plausible.

I'm tagging him because maybe he can shed some more light on this subject? I posted here and not in the tactics subforum because I don't believe it's strictly a tactics-oriented topic, but I can see quite a bit of overlap.

Thanks for everyone's input by the way :)

That's why you want versatile players with high adaptability that can play multiple positions. 

You build up that tactoc familiarity during pre-season games or games that you are winning or losing by a wide margin, so you have that player ready to take a different task when is needed.

• 5 months later...
On 14/06/2021 at 07:05, HUNT3R said:

So if i get this right, a player playing as a bwm in a 4-3-3 can have a higher or lower position/role/duty bar, than when the same player plays as a bwm in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 for example?

So basically it’s an indicator of how well the player can play the specific role in that specific tactic?

Like if he’s playing half a season as a bwm and the pos/role/duty bar is almost maxed out, the bar drops when you switch him to a basic cm because he is not used playing as a cm within that same tactic

Edited by Kevinho7

4 minutes ago, Kevinho7 said:

So if i get this right, a player playing as a bwm in a 4-3-3 can have a higher or lower position/role/duty bar, than when the same player plays as a bwm in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 for example?

So basically it’s an indicator of how well the player can play the specific role in that specific tactic?

Like if he’s playing half a season as a bwm and the pos/role/duty bar is almost maxed out, the bar drops when you switch him to a basic cm because he is not used to playing as a cm within that same tactic

The familiarity bar will also drop if you change your tactics and add or remove individual tactical instructions. The player instructions for the 4-2-3-1 will likely be different to the 4-3-3 so changing the tactic will mean the tactical familiarity will drop slightly, not massively though.

Also training a player in a position will increase the tactical familiarity. So if your CM is trained in a BWM (D) position, and this is the same position as your tactic, he will max the bar out quicker and perform better in the role. If you leave him traning as a DLP (S) or any other role, his tactical familiarity will take a lot longer and may never max out.