Match 5: England vs Croatia 2pm BST - BBC1 - Wembley

craigcwwe

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Was that honestly a 'great' performance from Sterling? Great run for the goal but I thought he was very, very poor apart from that?

I thought he was terrible apart from that but didn't want to ruin the mood of English fans. :D

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to sound like a hater, but considering how poor Croatian forwards have been, your backline was far from impressive. I guess Maguire will solve some issues.

There was noticable lack of communication and potential panic in some situations that shouldn't be threatening.

Walker was abysmal, I don't see the point of him being a starter ahead of Shaw and Trippier playing on the right.

Phillips was impressive.

Kane needs to be the leader England needs him to be. Absolutely had to bury that chance for 2-0. In big games, those misses will cost you.

I think England can do way better, but Southgate will probably think he found the winning formula. The reality is that he played against probably the worst coach in the tournament.

In a game where attacking players struggled to make an impact, Sterling looked the most active attacker. A good goal, and he done some good tracking back. Arguably Phillips and Modric stood out more, but in terms of impact, Sterling won it. 

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Lukaku > Kane, tbh.

Nah. That's just trying way too hard to get hipster cred points.

Lukaku is great when you build the team round him, because he's the best at what he does and running into space, but Kane is clearly the better all round player.

I cannot imagine Kane struggling so much to fit into Chelsea or ManUtd's style of play like Lukaku did. 

3 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

Nah. That's just trying way too hard to get hipster cred points.

Yeah, I'm baiting. :D

Lukaku is great when you build the team round him, because he's the best at what he does and running into space, but Kane is clearly the better all round player.

I cannot imagine Kane struggling so much to fit into Chelsea or ManUtd's style of play like Lukaku did. 

He's not the same player he was when he left MUTD.

But this was more of a direct comparison, Belgium played Croatia just a week ago and he absolutely bullied Car and Vida whole game long, they couldn't do anything.

35 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Was that honestly a 'great' performance from Sterling? Great run for the goal but I thought he was very, very poor apart from that?

I mean, he could score a hat trick and you'd say that he was terrible.

Very, very poor is so hyperbolic 

Sterling was ok. Enough to start next game for me. He did that thing he does where he was both good and bad again. 

But I'm so pleased he scored. Got so much stick recently. If I had to pick someone from that starting 11 to score only goal in a 1-0 win I'd go Sterling all day. Especially after the WC where he couldn't score but did well everywhere else. 

Phillips MOTM. Mount 2nd for me. Mount does those things you normally don't notice. Basically presses superbly and doesn't lose the ball. He will play every minute of these Euros. Mings needs a mention too, exceeded expectation. 

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Ever get sick of condescending people?

You think that was condescending? Not even close.

You have a big problem with Sterling and adore Grealish. You are always going to criticise Sterling no matter what.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

You think that was condescending? Not even close.

You have a big problem with Sterling and adore Grealish. You are always going to criticise Sterling no matter what.

You make it sound like I have a personal issue with Sterling which I don't. He just frustrates me as a player.

58 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Don't want to sound like a hater, but considering how poor Croatian forwards have been, your backline was far from impressive. I guess Maguire will solve some issues.

There was noticable lack of communication and potential panic in some situations that shouldn't be threatening.

Walker was abysmal, I don't see the point of him being a starter ahead of Shaw and Trippier playing on the right.

Phillips was impressive.

Kane needs to be the leader England needs him to be. Absolutely had to bury that chance for 2-0. In big games, those misses will cost you.

I think England can do way better, but Southgate will probably think he found the winning formula. The reality is that he played against probably the worst coach in the tournament.

Croatia were ***** in all fairness. A cart horse like Rebic as the threat, Modric carrying him zimmerframe around, Perisic remembering that he is pretty crap at shooting.

All credit to England but thats not beating a good croatia side.

11 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

You make it sound like I have a personal issue with Sterling which I don't. He just frustrates me as a player.

He was overall very threatening albeit would have liked to have seen Grealish on, but then again Sterling scored so what do I know.

As I said earlier without the ball Sterling is a great and gets on the end of things well. But it's just frustrating knowing that most of the time when he has to do something with the ball it's inevitably going to go wrong.

Correct choice for today with his ability to get in behind but might not be the correct choice playing against a team that will sit back and defend deeper and with more players behind behind ball than Croatia did today.

Bigger concern for me would be Foden's anonymity after the first 10 or 15 minutes. Just didn't really seem to be able to affect the game from the right. 

1 minute ago, CMOZZA said:

As I said earlier without the ball Sterling is a great and gets on the end of things well. But it's just frustrating knowing that most of the time when he has to do something with the ball it's inevitably going to go wrong.

Correct choice for today with his ability to get in behind but might not be the correct choice playing against a team that will sit back and defend deeper and with more players behind behind ball than Croatia did today.

Bigger concern for me would be Foden's anonymity after the first 10 or 15 minutes. Just didn't really seem to be able to affect the game from the right. 

I don't get how you can be described as a top class winger and have glaring limitations with the ball in your game. Surely we can ask for more from our starting winger to have great runs off the ball.

6 minutes ago, CMOZZA said:

Sterling has scored 13 in his last 17 England games playing mostly against teams that sit back and defend deep against us. 

Agreed on Foden. No coincidence that we scored shortly after he started playing with a bit more freedom. 

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Sterling has scored 13 in his last 17 England games playing mostly against teams that sit back and defend deep against us. 

Agreed on Foden. No coincidence that we scored shortly after he started playing with a bit more freedom. 

True, but would I be right in thinking most of them would be 2nd, 3rd or 4th goals of games we were already ahead in? Might need a different approach in tournament football

I'm delighted he scored today, just trying to make a case for a different approach for different opposition 

3 hours ago, Bigwig said:

Not sure how Henderson gets back into the side here. 

He shouldn't. 

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Even in a game with no difficult situations, Orsato is lost.

When he pulled the yellow card out on Foden despite not blowing for a foul when it happened was a proper clown shoes moment from him. Thought he had a good game otherwise but that really stood out. 

2 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Oh come on, outside that one move for Sterling goal, what have we done this half? We’ve sat off at the start, scored, sat off. Overall game play been poor this half compared to your Italy/Belgium. 

Italy you can have but not having Belgium. They played the second half at a complete training pace last night, think they only had one shot in the second half and that was right at the end. 

2 hours ago, Mr Adam said:

****ing Sterling listening to music for his interview. So rude 

Daily Mail have their front page story for tomorrow. 

I know we are all happy for the win, but has everyone looked at who awaits in the 2nd round should we win the group?  Germany, France or Portugal....or unlikely as it is Hungary

1 minute ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I know we are all happy for the win, but has everyone looked at who awaits in the 2nd round should we win the group?  Germany, France or Portugal....or unlikely as it is Hungary

Crap, flaky, old, crap in that order imo. Easy stuff.

1 minute ago, Pompeyboyz said:

You'll have to face them at some point if you wanna win this. And make no mistake, neither of those sides will want to play England. 

14 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Unfortunately the alternative to wining the group now is likely a defeat to Scotland or Czech Republic,

I’d rather go into a second round game against one of those unbeaten and with confidence than a “lesser” nation feeling vulnerable.

17 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I'd rather they played all the knockout games at Wembley rather than have to jet off to Denmark and Russia for the first two knockout games which is what the 2nd place side will have to do.

22 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Think we're all well aware of that, just have to take it a game at a time and try and win every one, can't be trying to avoid a win to get a lesser team in the next round or whatever, that is nonsense and a poor mentality. 

Line 'em up etc. :thup:

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Hungary are finishing second in that group.

They've lost their best player, they'll finish bottom. 

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

England win their opening game, something we're not very good at, against probably their stiffest competition in the group, in searing heat and comfortably so. It was a good performance that could do with some tweaks. Literally no one called it spot on FFS. You're making argument against something that doesn't exist

Making an argument like you dismissed 2 years ago :D Man Utd are not 2-3 signings away, yet each year you put that. Goal posts move so much with you it’s laughable. Good performance... sure. 

Sterling also assisted the early Foden chance where he hit the post, with a run/turn into space from a throw and then a decent ball through.  I know he can be frustrating at times but I'd look at this as even when not playing at his best he still scored a goal and nearly got an assist.  I do agree saying he was terrific today is OTT but I thought he was overall pretty good and he is a starter for me in most games, while accepting others may be better choices in some matches depending on opposition and tactics. 

4 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Making an argument like you dismissed 2 years ago :D Man Utd are not 2-3 signings away, yet each year you put that. Goal posts move so much with you it’s laughable. Good performance... sure. 

No idea what you're on about now pearcey, but if you're gonna be a dick this early in the tournament, it's a hard pass engaging with you. 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He was actually decent, but agree. Wonder how much rotation we will do

I'm thinking Shaw/Chillwell come in at LB on Friday night. Walker retains his place at RB and then Trippier starts the third group stage game at RB.