Match 5: England vs Croatia 2pm BST - BBC1 - Wembley

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

Is Croatia usually this toothless?

They are normally good money for a dark horse run, but this is not the usual I know from them

Total control :D If allowing a sub par Croatia probe the game with Modric is total control we’re ****ed come last 16. Don’t be deluded, we’ve been so far off the pace compared to others in terms of game control.

Dalić is completely clueless on how to create any attacking protocols.

Pass it to Modrić and hope for the best.

Even though those 3 midfielders he started are the best he has, none of them is a regular goalscoring threat. Vlašić had to start.

Then instead of another proper winger, Brekalo, he completely confuses both Rebić (who's easy to confuse) and Kramarić, making this team look as toothles as possible.

Then there was CB at LB.

England a better team for that one goal, but it's not like we've seen a class showing similar to Italy's.

Just now, cyclonus1010 said:

Croatian side a shadow of their former selves, 3 years is a long time in football when all your top players are 30-odd.

It's mostly up to the coach.

Declining a bit is one thing, but this is mostly his fault.

Edited by GunmaN1905
Just now, mark1985 said:

English commentators are the worst. ‘He claimed to be exhausted but then was spotted on a beach holiday in the Maldives. But everyone is allowed a mistake.’ Yes. Because going on a beach holiday when you’re exhausted is particularly scummy behaviour. Should’ve been doing double shifts in the NHS whilst raising money for kids and spending the rest of his free time working on his game. 

If I was exhausted and had the money and freedom to do anything I’m pretty sure the thing I would chose to do is go to the Maldives 

Just now, arenaross said:

A wins a win so good one Gareth but that was dire after the first ten. 

Wtf you lot we haven’t won yet :D 

Just now, Mr Adam said:

They want to jinx it so they can criticise the manager.

1 minute ago, pearcey_90 said:

Total control :D If allowing a sub par Croatia probe the game with Modric is total control we’re ****ed come last 16. Don’t be deluded, we’ve been so far off the pace compared to others in terms of game control.

I'm sorry but this so ridiculously negative. They're not as strong as they were but this is still a good team and we've not allowed them to do much at all. We've not exactly created chance after chance but this has been a more than acceptable performance.

Just now, Christmas said:

This game has basically been a tea spoon against a soup spoon. 

Tea spoon is tiny bit sharper 

Remind me not to come round for tea at your house 

Phillips really impressive today and a lot of football twitter owe big Tyrone an apology after today. He's more than good enough backup for Maguire. 

Will get flamed for this but if you're honest with yourselves Foden on the right didn't work. He needs to be moved left next game. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

If I was exhausted and had the money and freedom to do anything I’m pretty sure the thing I would chose to do is go to the Maldives 

He may have had a point if he claimed to be exhausted but then went to hike the Andes or sail across the Atlantic in his summer. I’m happy to see our young players on a beach in the Maldives compared to collecting STDs in Amsterdam or getting into fights on a Greek island

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

We won as soon as we went a goal up. Croatia have offered nothing.

Not the opening game it promised to be. Good result for England, and, dare I say, for Scotland. Croatia will be better against the Czechs and ourselves I imagine. But onto the real deal tomorrow in this group. :D

Just now, arenaross said:

Phillips really impressive today and a lot of football twitter owe big Tyrone an apology after today. He's more than good enough backup for Maguire. 

Will get flamed for this but if you're honest with yourselves Foden on the right didn't work. He needs to be moved left next game. 

I mean, most people argued for Foden on the left. I don't really know where this Foden on the right came from

That's good enough for a first match of the tournament. 3 points against the strongest other side in the group. Far from scintillating but Phillips was a shining light and all the central three did well.

Really solid performance in a tight game. No threat from Croatia at all and even though after the strong start the game got very tentative we were clearly the better team.

No complaints about the selection or the performance except a few shaky moments from Walker and the fact Kane doesn't look particularly fit or mobile.

Phillips, Trippier and Sterling the standouts with the former MoM!

Come on England & up yours the ABE brigade!!!!

Edited by Wiggins Top Boys

England were great in the first 10 minutes, Croatia did nothing all match long. Deserved win, but not a fantastic one. 

#inyourfacedomagoj

Edited by DJ

I actually think Pickford did well today as well. Didn't have much to do but went about everything with minimal fuss. 

Edited by arenaross
1 minute ago, Pukey said:

I'm sorry but this so ridiculously negative. They're not as strong as they were but this is still a good team and we've not allowed them to do much at all. We've not exactly created chance after chance but this has been a more than acceptable performance.

Sorry it’s negative, but it’s just a dose of reality. Let’s lay down a marker, this isn’t it. I’ll take a win, but if people think this is Southgate spot on tactics for last 16 they’re so wrong.

Right now it’s over I want to say how poor we’re Croatia? England were good. Not brilliant. Certainly not something to change the betting odds. But a very good start in the circumstances.

My ratings:

Pickford - 7 - solid enough with little to do

Walker - 5 - good defensively but poor in possession

Mings - 7 - good

Stones - 7 - good

Trippier - 6 - meh

Rice - 7 - barely noticed him which must be good for his position

Phillips - 9 - outstanding 

Mount - 7.5 - half a mark knocked off for bit getting into game more

Foden - 7.5 - as above

Sterling - 7 - good running but needs his confidence back

Kane - 5 - lethargic and seemed to want to come deep to get the ball which made him even less likely to get the ball

3 minutes ago, arenaross said:

I actually think Pickford did well today as well. Didn't have much to do but went about everything with minimal fuss. 

He certainly dealt with the odd horrendous backpass I wouldn't be confident about Pope for

E A S Y

- comfortable win

- Sterling goal

- no Grealish

Perfect.

Great opening 10-15 minutes. Bit dull after that apart from the goal.

BBC with "Impressive" and "Fantastic" from Lineker, Shearer and Lampard. It was a solid performance, nothing spectacular.

Job done. Which is fine for the opening game, need to kick on from this now.

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Sorry it’s negative, but it’s just a dose of reality. Let’s lay down a marker, this isn’t it. I’ll take a win, but if people think this is Southgate spot on tactics for last 16 they’re so wrong.

We've beaten a good team with a solid performance in the first game of the tournament, I'm sorry but what exactly do you want? :D Teams grow into tournaments and there's enough there to suggest we can do some damage, and yeah plenty to improve on as well but for a first game I really don't have much at all to complain about.

Don't think anybody has to worry about Croatia this year. Do they have any strikers now Mandzukic's gone?

Scotland and the Czech's will fancy their chances now.

Not to take anything away from England though, didn't play their best but still didn't look remotely troubled so we can only expect better as confidence grows.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we looked ordinary for 80 minutes, or if this Croatia team couldn't score to save their lives. This is probably our toughest game in the group, and we've won it. :thup:

Yeah, we weren't as impressive as Italy or Belgium, but we got to the Semis in 2018 just by doing what was needed. If we go deep again, I won't be complaining that we only beat the World Cup runners-up by one goal.

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

England win their opening game, something we're not very good at, against probably their stiffest competition in the group, in searing heat and comfortably so. It was a good performance that could do with some tweaks. Literally no one called it spot on FFS. You're making argument against something that doesn't exist