Match 5: England vs Croatia 2pm BST - BBC1 - Wembley

Not long to go now! Team news to follow but for now we have this leaked team news for England.

Edited by craigcwwe
  • craigcwwe changed the title to Match 5: England vs Croatia 2pm BST - BBC1 - Wembley
  • Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think England will win.

Atmosphere in Croatian NT hasn't been good for some time, mostly because Dalić is a clown.

There are some issues with defense and the obvious lack of proper striker.

Midfield is still one of the best in the tournament and it will be interesting to see how England's young trio deals with it.

On the other side, from a neutral perspective, it looks to me like Southgate is about to shoot himself in the foot again with dumb tactical acrobatics.
Stop trying to be a tactical mastermind when you've got a great team at your disposal. Play everyone in their best role and that's it.

Also, there's the fact that second place is way more desirable than the first, so we might see a boring draw, you never know.

Good luck guys. Typically I never really cheer for England, and have had a thing for Croatia all the way back to the 1996/1998 tournaments, but I'd really like to see this bunch of young talented players you have (like Foden Mount Bellingham and Sancho), to do well this time. Strangely exciting English side to follow as a neutral. 

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Also, there's the fact that second place is way more desirable than the first, so we might see a boring draw, you never know.

Been thinking about this for a bit and not sure that's necessarily true - even if you dodge 2nd place in group F in the Ro16 by finishing 2nd, your likely QF opponents are still going to be the winners of group F, so either way you're almost certainly having to play one of the tournament favourites in the early knockouts.

3 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Who are the 3 that didn’t make the bench then. 

Maguire and

Wait Sancho didnt make the bench :D 

Not sure why some are acting like this is a horrific line up. Wouldn't be what I pick, especially Trippier at LB, but there's logic to it no? 

Posted (edited)
Just now, arenaross said:

Sancho gotta have a knock? 

Has to to be the only explanation surely. 

He did train yesterday though, only one who didn't was Dean Henderson. 

Edited by craigcwwe
Just now, Pukey said:

Not sure why some are acting like this is a horrific line up. Wouldn't be what I pick, especially Trippier at LB, but there's logic to it no? 

I think this is the thing, whoever was picked people would moan but, the LB issue aside, you can see his thinking at least. 

2 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

It's bold from Gareth. Positive result and he's a tactical genius, bad result and he's opened himself up to a lot of criticism. 

It's England so it could genuinely go either way. 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Sorry but it's actually awful. It's pretty much as negative as the squad allows.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

You're mocking a guy because your own team left out possibly your best player? Interesting take.

Not mocking him. Just a bit 'o fun. :thup:

I understand it with the back 3, but if his plan is to primarily use Trippier at left back throughout, seems pretty odd to take Shaw and Chilwell as well. 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Apart from Trippier at left back it's an utterly standard 4-3-3 lineup, especially for a big game. Mings wouldn't be my choice either, but we were never particularly likely to go with Rice as the only non-attacking midfielders, and some of us are surely pleased at no back three

Gareth obviously watched how well Spinazzola played on Friday and thought a right footed left back is the way to go :brock:

Wait, have I completely missed that you can only name a certain amount of subs? I'd just assumed everyone in the squad was available?

5 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Sorry but it's actually awful. It's pretty much as negative as the squad allows.

What would you do instead though? Grealish over Sterling, Bellingham over Phillips? If so, fine, I wouldn't argue against that at all, but I get using Sterling for his pace, and Phillips will offer more security to a pretty meh defence. I get disagreeing with it, but I'm really not sure what wild thing he absolutely should be doing instead. 

Just now, Snedhead said:

Wait, have I completely missed that you can only name a certain amount of subs? I'd just assumed everyone in the squad was available?

Yeah, 26 man squads, but can only have 23 in the team for a matchday.

1 minute ago, Bootador said:

No need for Sancho to be on the bench in fairness if Southgate rates Rashford and Grealish ahead of him

Think I'd pick him ahead of both on the right, and especially ahead of a third keeper. Then again, he might be out of contention with a knock

As a Croat, I must express my gratitude to Southgate. He made Vrsaljko's job a lot easier by playing an unnatural player on the LB position, instead of Shaw or Chilwell. Why Trippier doesn't push Walker out?

EUROS PREVIOUS: England v Croatia

Have a bit of Euro 2004 and this Group B decider in Lisbon.  Despite throwing after the lead in their opening game against France, England only need a point here to reach the last eight.  But Croatia know they can qualify with a win.  England are behind early on after falling asleep at a set piece, then Paul Scholes ends a 3-year goal drought with the equaliser and Rooney bangs in a couple more to cement his place as the tournament's breakout star.  Back when we really looked like we might win something.

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

What would you do instead though? Grealish over Sterling, Bellingham over Phillips? If so, fine, I wouldn't argue against that at all, but I get using Sterling for his pace, and Phillips will offer more security to a pretty meh defence. I get disagreeing with it, but I'm really not sure what wild thing he absolutely should be doing instead. 

I don't think it's wildly off tbh. I like it more in a 4-2-3-1. I think it's all about not being overrun in midfield. Bit if Trippier isn't tucking in then we should have started Shaw or Chilwell. And is have gone Shaw if he wanted a bit more defensive security

Hope one of Phillips/Rice is given license to get forward a bit, especially considering we’re playing with a right footed left back.

Having said that, there should be enough movement from the front 4 to cause problems.

5 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Why Marcus on bench?!

Because he's been awful for months.

Just now, Smallen said:

Hope one of Phillips/Rice is given license to get forward a bit, especially considering we’re playing with a right footed left back.

Having said that, there should be enough movement from the front 4 to cause problems.

They'll be holding and Kane will end up dropping deeper and deeper to pick the ball up...