Match 3: Denmark vs Finland - 5pm (BST) BBC1 live from Copenhagen

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

What happens re: Eriksen's replacement in the XI. Presumably Denmark get a free sub

I dunno. I'm not sure that would actually qualify as a concussion sub. It's probably just a regular substitution.

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

It's knocked the ***** out of me, just watching it. God knows what state of mind the players will be in.

Yeah, I felt it too. I've been on a pitch with a team mate who went down like that (wasn't as critical, "just" dehydration, but still a scary one). We had to finish the game (we were about 13 then), and none of the teams did much other than pass the ball around.

But perhaps they both got together and wanted to finish it in Eriksen's honor and show unity thought that?

2 minutes ago, Rebs said:

I think the players agreeing to play it is admirable, but you're not telling me there aren't a handful who will be playing this while not realising how they have been affected by it, seeing it all happen actually happen right in front of them, and maybe they just don't realise the mental damage it has done.  In some ways, it could actually be a good thing for them, a kind of therapeutic experience for them, but for some it might not be like that and they won't even know it yet.  I'd have thought it would have been more sensible to just say to them 'let's just get it played tomorrow lads'.

Yeah, I think a bunch just want to play for the sake of pulling their minds elsewhere. Calling it off now and sitting with the incident in their minds the entire evening wouldn't be the most pleasant experience either.

7 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

Come on Denmark!

Everyone will be cheering them on to win the whole tournament now!

I just had a thought of making a bet on them to go on and win the whole tournament now off the back of what happened. 

Sport is crazy sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Yeah, I think a bunch just want to play for the sake of pulling their minds elsewhere. Calling it off now and sitting with the incident in their minds the entire evening wouldn't be the most pleasant experience either.

Yeah true, I just think it is a bit soon to get them all back out to play.  Kudos on them though for this....and they are such great examples of what we want in football players when so much is reported about them being self-centered money-grabbing individuals at times.

Read a report that said Eriksen had talked to his teammates on the phone. If that's true, then it would likely have impacted the players to continue the game, I would imagine.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Read a report that said Eriksen had talked to his teammates on the phone. If that's true, then it would likely have impacted the players to continue the game, I would imagine.

Yeah, as I posted further up, this is what I thought, that they'd have been in contact with Eriksen and got his blessing so to speak before requesting the game to be played tonight. 

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Seems like the sort who wouldn't like to feel like he's the reason the game was called off. Whether or not it's the right thing to do is another issues but I can understand that. As soon as he's discharged he'll probably be going to see all of the team, even though his tournament (and possibly career) is over now.

14 minutes ago, Sano said:

Protect the players from themselves and make them take a break for a few days seems apt.

After the display in character of the highest calibre from these guys it doesn't surpirse me at all, if they want to play on then nobody should be allowed to say anything otherwise,

Thought they would have kicked this back to tomorrow at least, but then the stupid multi-city format means Finland are due back on a flight from Copenhagen to St Petersburg straight after the final whistle and that is where all their camp and training stuff is.

Thought they might have called it at 0-0 but you can see why Denmark want to play to a finish. Doing it for Eriksen etc. and as blunt as it sounds if the tournament is continuing on for them tonight is their best chance of three points.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Thought they would have kicked this back to tomorrow at least, but then the stupid multi-city format means Finland are due back on a flight from Copenhagen to St Petersburg straight after the final whistle and that is where all their camp and training stuff is.

This is a really good point.

14 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He misses out the fact they should have cut back to studio themselves

They should probably not have spent so long in the studio either.

Probably should have gone straight to a shot of Lineker on his own to mention about the distressing scenes and they'll go to other programming until more is known about the situation.

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

They should probably not have spent so long in the studio either.

Probably should have gone straight to a shot of Lineker on his own to mention about the distressing scenes and they'll go to other programming until more is known about the situation.

Yeah. The BBC ****ed it really