Is my Director of Football useless?

I've avoided having a DoF for years but I've decided to give it a go. This bloke has JPA of 17, JPP of 18 and Negotiating of 17.

I'm letting him do contracts. So far I've asked him to renew two first0team player contracts, and negotiate a contract for a 16 year old keeper I'd had a bid accepted on.  All three, I got a message in the inbox saying the contract had been rejected. The 16 year old keeper had a scout rating of 83 off a scout who also has JPA of 17 and JPP of 18, so it seems unlikely the DoF has gone 'Nah he's rubbish, I'll go in low'. And both the first-team player contracts were rejected because he didn't offer them playing time guarantees they wanted.

What's the point of having this eejit if he's going to make a bollix of it? Or am I doing it wrong?

When renewing contracts of existing players we arent able to tell the DoF the playing time we expect the player to play for some reason. Instead the DoF judges what he thinks the playing time should be which doesnt make sense.

My DoF has about a 50% success rate at negotiating contracts, so I have stopped him from doing this.  I agree that you should be able to give him a strict set of parameters within which he has to stick, but frankly, if you are going to do this every time, you are just as well to do it yourself.

The final straw was negotiating for a 17 year old wonderkid for my CL winning team and offering him star player status, when I didn't have one anywhere else.

Btw the DoF will try to offer the player their current agreed playing time as a minimum. So increase their agreed playing time if you want it to be higher as then the DoF will offer them that - but they can go higher if the player demands it during negotiations

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, francis#17 said:

Btw the DoF will try to offer the player their current agreed playing time as a minimum. So increase their agreed playing time if you want it to be higher as then the DoF will offer them that - but they can go higher if the player demands it during negotiations

I keep hearing people say you can direct the DoF to do specific thing you want, like a min/max wage and so on, but I can't see any screen you do that on. Where is it? 

Edited by Cid
Typo

17 minutes ago, Cid said:

I keep hearing people say you can direct the DoF to do specific thing you want, like a min/max wage and so on, but I can't see any screen you do that on. Where is it? 

Are you talking about for new transfers or for players you already have whose contract you want to extend? 

For new transfers and the player as a transfer target and then go to the transfer target screen and you can adjust it there. For players you already have I'm not sure how to do that, could you show me where you saw that please?

Edited by francis#17

Haha wow, I've never even seen 'Add as transfer target'! That must be what I've seen people talk about as I've just seen you can put a ceiling on the offer your DoF makes. Mad how you still discover stuff about the game having played it for years. Thanks!

On the original point, I guess it makes sense how it works via 'Add as transfer target'. But I have my staff responsibilities set to have the DoF handle new signing contracts - I make an offer, it gets accepted, and he goes 'I'll handle the negotiations'. A few days later it comes back saying the player has rejected the contract (and then obviously the game makes the player reject any re-approach for a couple of months). At no point am I able to tell the DoF how much I'm willing to let him offer the player; you only seem to be able to do that if you 'Add as transfer target'. Just seems like a bit of a gap, like SI have forgotten to apply the feature in both places. There's no logical reason for you to be able to set a max wage before you make an offer, but not after an offer is accepted.

• 1 month later...
On 11/06/2021 at 19:40, Outsider23 said:

I mainly use my DoF to handle contracts renewals for staff members and my less valuable youth prospects. Other than that he is just an extra (overpaid) scout.

Agree. I only delegate secondary tasks, lest AI staff is a source of ridiculous decisions and disappointment. On the other hand, you can set a challenge (a la Loki Doki) of delegating ALL hiring and firing of all players and staff to the AI staff, and you only focus on coaching football.

I enjoy having a DoF.  I hate negotiating contracts. I also don't really have an issue with them failing to negotiate. if I'm trying to sign a player that I'd pay almost anything for, I will save the game prior just in case the DoF messes it up.  I can always reload and sign him manually.  I don't see that as cheating, because in real life I'd be able to tell my staff to make the deal.

Not sure have anyone try to add your players to unwanted list and let your DOF try to sell him? IN previous saves, the DOF seems incompetent to do it even with high attributes for DOF and I set it to sell at any price. Recently started a save at Volendam, try using it again, this time it works for a low attributes DOF. Any idea why?

15 hours ago, lohwenjie said:

Not sure have anyone try to add your players to unwanted list and let your DOF try to sell him? IN previous saves, the DOF seems incompetent to do it even with high attributes for DOF and I set it to sell at any price. Recently started a save at Volendam, try using it again, this time it works for a low attributes DOF. Any idea why?

Yes I always do this and it works