Match 1: Turkey v Italy. 11/6/21 8pm (BST) live from Rome

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

I mean they are 100% one of the favourites. Most bookies have them 4th behind France, Belgium and England. They are the most in form side of all that have qualified. In what way are they not one of the favourites? 

Let’s not forget Spain & Germany either. How many teams are we classing as favourites? I’ve just not seen them talked up that much.

1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Italy do not have a better team than England.

4th favourites, 5th favourites - how far down the list do you have to go before you're not a favourite? I feel like when there's four teams rated over you, you're not really a favourite. 

Most places have them as equal with Germany and Portugal so I think it's fair to call among the favourites 

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

Let’s not forget Spain & Germany either. How many teams are we classing as favourites? I’ve just not seen them talked up that much.

Really? Most places I've seen any previews of have talked them as being a team that could win/ I think France are the stand out side but then you have a group of sides all around the same level (England, Portugal, Germany, Belgium and Italy) that on their day they can beat anyone but all have flaws so while I would agree with anyone that says they're not overwhelming favourites they have to be considered among them. It's why I'm so looking forward to this tournament as really do think there are 6 or 7 sides capable of winning the whole thing. It's gonna be fun. 

Before this dives into England vs Italy squad comparison, the below is not and never will be 4 times WC winners, twice runners up, one time European champions and twice runners up Italy 

dark horse
noun

1. a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

53 minutes ago, Nordan said:

I have to admit I'm not as excited about this whole thing as I thought I'd be.

Same here, there will be a few times when I'll probably watch the cricket instead.

I'll be watching tonight though, hopefully that will get me interested.

Just now, skybluedave said:

Before this dives into England vs Italy squad comparison, the below is not and never will be 4 times WC winners, twice runners up, one time European champions and twice runners up Italy 

dark horse
noun

1. a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

I’m not saying they’re a small side btw. But a darkhorse to win it. I have Immobile at top scorer at 20/1.

Yep... let's gush all over the home nations for half an hour, then finally get round to talking about Italy and Turkey 10 minutes before kick-off.

At least we've got three teams to give all the attention to this time, instead of it being just another Anglofest.

Got my beer ready and cold, got a s**tload of snacks, chips, peanuts, pistacchios for when I get home, I'm actually quite pumped up for this. :D

Shame we are not in the competition, would've been much more enjoyable, even if only for a week or so. 

Edited by Marius_R

2 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

Got my beer ready and cold, got a s**tload of snacks, chips, peanuts, pistacchios for when I get home, I'm actually quite pumped up for this. :D

Shame we are not in the competition, would've been much more enjoyable, even if only for a week or so. 

Strangely enough I absolutely loved Euro 2008 even though we didn't qualify.

5 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Yep... let's gush all over the home nations for half an hour, then finally get round to talking about Italy and Turkey 10 minutes before kick-off.

At least we've got three teams to give all the attention to this time, instead of it being just another Anglofest.

You're not allowed to complain about it, or so I was told.

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Strangely enough I absolutely loved Euro 2008 even though we didn't qualify.

We qualify so rarely, that's it's much more enjoyable when we're in it. In my lifetime, I've only caught 4 tournaments with us in them, and two of them were when I was 9 and 11.

2 hours ago, Pukey said:

I think dark horse was the wrong term, but trying to play devil's advocate here, Italy haven't really been spoke about that much as potential winners. 

Really? All I've heard the past week is how Italy are 27 games unbeaten and it's them and France I'm hearing everyone mentioning to win it.

If anything Italy are getting overrated, they're being mentioned a lot more than Portugal or Belgium for example who both have better sides.

3 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

Really? All I've heard the past week is how Italy are 27 games unbeaten and it's them and France I'm hearing everyone mentioning to win it.

If anything Italy are getting overrated, they're being mentioned a lot more than Portugal or Belgium for example who both have better sides.

From what I've read France have been touted as the big favourites (rightly of course,) followed by Belgium and England. Genuinely hadn't heard anything about Italy until today. 

1 minute ago, Hairycull said:

Good old BBC

2 Minutes talking about Wales, 2 Minutes talking about Scotland then they rest of the show talking about England but being rudely interrupted by the actually game

Wales had a pretty long segment. Scotland were very much brushed over though yeah.