The strange transfer behaviour of Chinese clubs

I'm having a funny problem in my fm21 save.

I got a job at a club in the Swedish top division, and immediately after i was hired i became targeted by 3 different Chinese clubs who started attempting to buy half of my starting 11 for ridiculously high transfer fees.

They do this every year in january-march, and obviously my board will accept most of these bids because they're paying like 20 times the value of these players.

This situation is practically making the game unplayable right now because i'm losing several of my best players every year, and if i can replace them the chinese will just buy the replacements the following year!

The thing is that these 3 chinese clubs are only buying players from my club, they never buy anyone else. So clearly this is not working as intended. Also it's not like these are world class players or anything, they're just pretty good swedish league players.

What is causing this behaviour, have you seen anything like it? What can i do about it?

My club has received an inordinate amount of money from these transfers that i'm investing in the training facilities and youth development and anything else i can find, but i'm still finding it impossible to constantly replace all of these players.

I could resign of course but i want this club to work, also i'm kind of worried that this will happen in every swedish club i move to now.

By the way, there's now a thriving community of half-decent and extremely overpaid swedish football players in Shanghai, so that's cool for them.

It's happened to me the past couple of years.  Chinese clubs always seem to come in with incredibly lucrative offers for decent if not spectacular players.  Not sure if they're going after AI players too as I never pay that much attention, but I've definitely overly profited from them in the past.

I managed in Sweden for 23 years on my save and can confirm that Chinese clubs love a Swedish player. DL Pro used to fill up my inbox with bid after bid of the same player.

Very rarely did the player actually want to leave for China though, and I think I actually only sold 10 over that 23 year period to Chinese clubs (and a couple of them were Brazilian rather than Swedish for a total value of £128m (just went back to look).

It looks like a modified (custom) database. The game tends not to complete the maximum number of foreign players allowed and Chinese clubs cannot register more than 7 foreigners and cannot use more than 4 in the same time. On the other hand, in the original database (and IRL) it is more likely that a Chinese club will try to transfer a South American (expecially Brazilian or Argentinian) player than an European one.

• 2 weeks later...

So it turned out that this is actually a game-breaking problem.

The Chinese kept paying increasingly ridiculous transfer fees as my club got richer, because my board would not force me to accept the original fees anymore.

They also followed me when i moved to a new Swedish club and would still only buy players from me.

I decided to quit the save when they offered around 30 million pounds for my 30 year old 3rd choice right back, which is ten times more than the other Swedish clubs get when they sell a wonderkid.

It's sad, i spent so much time on that save!

Do you have any mods or downloaded leagues running? If not, I'd report this in the bugs forum, because this honestly doesn't sound like how it should. If you have, then the changes can, in some cases, have unintended effects such as this.

On 10/06/2021 at 23:48, phd_angel said:

Yes, I always see wealthy Chinese clubs with huge transfer offers, but never to the point of undermining my game or club plans...

Same here. I'm playing on Touch, but have had several players accept offers with Chinese clubs. It doesn't seem to happen as often since my team's gotten better, but I'll usually get a bid or two every winter transfer window.

I had a somewhat odd experience that reminded me of OP's problem. Basically, I have a promising young Belgian attacking midfielder at my club, he hasn't made his debut yet and he has only played one game for my reserves. Nevertheless, he recently underwent a significant burst of improvement and now several European clubs are lining up to get him on loan, when they weren't very interested before.

The question is: how do they know about him? As I've said, he has played one reserve game and he isn't even loan listed. The only conclusion I can draw is that the game gives at least some of the clubs in the world real time updates concerning the CA growth of the player's players (hehe). 

Perhaps some very smart person could attempt to dig into the game and discover the full method the AI uses to "scout."

I think it's just a combination of the AI being in a very rich club with relatively small reputation.

Have you seen those YouTube videos about "What if a non-league club had 1 billion"? Well, it's pretty much the same thing - when the AI club has way too much money for its reputation, they begin to spend loads of money on nobodies - especially on wages.

While I was managing an Andorran team in FM20, it was surprisingly common that Los Angeles FC was willing to offer nearly 60 million euros on my second or third choice players. Not that I didn't mind, though.

It's been this way for years.

Edited by llDracoll