FM20 - Board won't expand stadium until we regularly sell out

But we DO.  Our average attendance is the capacity after 30+ games this season, and it was the same all last season.

Is it, perhaps, a bug?

Our stadium says: Capacity 48,707 all-seater (48,095 capacity used in normal matches).

We get 48,095 at every league game.  Even in the league cup 4th round!

I checked on FM Scout and our average attenance is 55,143, with a max of 66,171

But the board will not budge, no matter what.  They love me too, tbh I'm almost at the end of this save as we win just about everything, every season.  We have £300m in the bank (although somehow my transfer budget is £700m lol)

I just want to see the Stadium of Light maxxed out before I go.  Stadium is 38 years old at this point

Are the board literally saying 'we need to regularly sell out' when you request a new stadium? If so it might be that the game considers 48707 to be a sell-out, even though it's impossible to get that attendance. Another possible thing could be that the potential attendance isn't that much higher than the current attendance.

12 minutes ago, afced7 said:

Are the board literally saying 'we need to regularly sell out' when you request a new stadium? If so it might be that the game considers 48707 to be a sell-out, even though it's impossible to get that attendance. Another possible thing could be that the potential attendance isn't that much higher than the current attendance.

Yes, they're saying they want to sell out some games first.  But we sell out every game, expect for those seats that are used to divide home from away fans (I can only assume that's what it is).

According to FM Scout, there's another 10k fans "average" and 20k peak waiting to come to the games!

Seems strange, what's the average attendance by capacity % on the 'team detailed' stats?

It's also just over 7,000 more on average (assuming FM scout is correct) which if you have a stadium of 10,000 is substantial, it's not that substantial with a stadium of 48,000, considering that a new stadium of that size is going to cost hundreds of millions of pounds.

11 hours ago, afced7 said:

Seems strange, what's the average attendance by capacity % on the 'team detailed' stats?

It's also just over 7,000 more on average (assuming FM scout is correct) which if you have a stadium of 10,000 is substantial, it's not that substantial with a stadium of 48,000, considering that a new stadium of that size is going to cost hundreds of millions of pounds.

I'll check that later when I'm at my PC

They won't accept a "moderate expansion" either.

I have just tested the same thing. My stadium capacity is 24,030 with 23,489 used in normal matches.

My average attendance in the league for the season is 23,484 (97%) however I have had 0 sellouts, presumably because 24,030 would be the sell out figure.

I asked the board for a stadium expansion whoever the rejected as "We don't have a sufficiently strong base of support to result in a significant up-turn in match day revenue"

I argued and in the meeting they said we need to start selling out games regularly for them to consider an expansion. I guess I'm stuck in this loop due to the reduced capacity (which doesn't actually exist at the club in real life...)

1 hour ago, Grifty said:

I have just tested the same thing. My stadium capacity is 24,030 with 23,489 used in normal matches.

My average attendance in the league for the season is 23,484 (97%) however I have had 0 sellouts, presumably because 24,030 would be the sell out figure.

I asked the board for a stadium expansion whoever the rejected as "We don't have a sufficiently strong base of support to result in a significant up-turn in match day revenue"

I argued and in the meeting they said we need to start selling out games regularly for them to consider an expansion. I guess I'm stuck in this loop due to the reduced capacity (which doesn't actually exist at the club in real life...)

Does seem like that might be the problem then, definitely an oversight.

On 09/06/2021 at 22:17, afced7 said:

Just finished a season, so I've checked 48095 98%.  Which is the actual capacity, save for the unused seats.  Sold out every single game.

FM Scout says the Average would be 55683 (+7588  16%) and max 66171 (+18076 38%)

So the potential is there, but the board simply cannot see it.

Edited by petertr

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, petertr said:

Another season, still no movement from the board.  Almost enough to make me quite a 15 year save :(

Stick at it, I noticed in my club vision that one of them was to "Build a New Stadium". About 2 weeks later the board started looking for a place for a 35000 seater. I was having the same issues as you with the stadium capacity maximum.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2021 at 00:38, Grifty said:

Stick at it, I noticed in my club vision that one of them was to "Build a New Stadium". About 2 weeks later the board started looking for a place for a 35000 seater. I was having the same issues as you with the stadium capacity maximum.

Problem is, mine is still only @30 years old and in good condition. 

Last night I made a separate save and went on holiday for 5 years.  They still refuse to upgrade or replace it.

• 3 months later...

Stadium now 38 years old and for the first time ever we sold out of season tickets.  And the game prompted me to ask for an expansion.

And the board STILL REFUSED !

According to the database, the current average attendace is 11,500 more than the current capacity, and the max possible is 17,500 more. But no, we'll keep plodding on with absolute sell outs every single game.

Our corporate facilities are crap too, despite being by far the best team in the world and winning the Prem 8 years in a row, we're in the middle of the table for matchday income.

Oh, £500m+ in the bank, too.

Edited by petertr