Thoughts on similar role mentality combinations;

Was told to make this a thread, so I'm copying over the question, I apologise if the questions seem too broad, but I'm trying to think in more general/broader terms;

What do you think of combining similar mentalities for the wide-central partnerships? Am I thinking along the right lines here, or have I gone off the deep end?

For example; 

An IW/S combined with a DLF/S and a Winger/A with an AF?

I was thinking that the combination would offer a partnership in the AM strata whilst offering possibilities to exploit the other flank if the opposition shifted to try and counteract it. 

However, on the other hand, the usual IW/S + AF, and W/A +DLF/S, seems to me to create a more triangle pattern for passing options when the team is in possession, alongside variation in that there is a holder/carrier, and a direct attacking option (DLF+W, IW+AF). 

I was just wondering if my thought process is going down the right track here? Am I perhaps overlooking a critical weaknesses here in my thoughts of bringing together the partnership in the AM strata with that framework?

In order that it's not just a 'roles in isolation' question, this is my formational set up, ignore the instructions and 'preset', I haven't started on them yet, I am just making the basic framework first;

20210609114305_1.thumb.jpg.7b2d153cc624e2b6a75f9544fd68ced4.jpg

3 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

What do you think of combining similar mentalities for the wide-central partnerships? Am I thinking along the right lines here, or have I gone off the deep end?

For example; 

An IW/S combined with a DLF/S and a Winger/A with an AF?

I was thinking that the combination would offer a partnership in the AM strata whilst offering possibilities to exploit the other flank if the opposition shifted to try and counteract it

Nothing wrong with that combination. I especially like the role combo on the left - DLFsu-CMde-IWsu-WBat (except that I would rather use FB on attack than WB in a formation with no DM).

On the opposite flank, my personal preference would the the support duty for the winger, but again - nothing wrong with your choice either :thup: 

3 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

However, on the other hand, the usual IW/S + AF, and W/A +DLF/S, seems to me to create a more triangle pattern for passing options when the team is in possession, alongside variation in that there is a holder/carrier, and a direct attacking option (DLF+W, IW+AF)

Also (a) good combo(s) :thup:

I don't like the setup as it is, but that's not to say it can't work. You may be able to create an overload on the left, with the DLF, IW, WB all combining nicely and that opens space for the AF and Winger. It may need slight tweaks (looking at the IW and DLF) if you find that they interfere with each other too much, like occupying the same space or the IW wanting to run with the ball through the exact spot the DLF is in. Like I said though, I can see how this would potentially work.

If this was me, I would swap the striker roles so that the CM can link with the DLF (in combination with the W/A) and the advanced Winger will have an option (the AF) to cross to at the far post. It also gives the IW more space to run into.

Thinking about this more (I typed the above this morning, but didn't post it) the types of players you have might influence this a bit. As an example: I think that in your setup, the W/A could be more of a scorer, while in mine, more of a creator. We might even 'need' different types of player (ideally) to be at IW, but I am not able to quickly think of what differences there would be.