It's just not happening this season, we played well during the first season, creating loads of chances and scoring plenty, finished seventh. This season there's just not the same penetration, we're not creating chances and sometimes have only three or four on target from 16 odd chances on goal. Is there anything I can change to improve things please ? 

Screenshot_20210608-201156.png

9 minutes ago, Oli99 said:

This season there's just not the same penetration

Are the other Teams are sitting deep? Your team is looking for fast transitions from deeper areas. It is incredible hard to score with such a tactic against teams that focus on keeping players behind the ball.

Quick transitions usually are quite simple and predictable and key is to transition faster than the other team does, which obviously is close to impossible when they are staying back.

for those games, you need to create more mobilty from deeper areas to establish overlapping patterns and allow your players to be more patient with the ball. 

you can Switch back to your transitioning style if they come at you

We're struggling more against the teams we are expected to beat and performing well against the bigger teams, so what you're saying makes perfect sense and I assume is exactly what's happening. Our goals generally start on the counter attack, so as you say that's not going to happen against teams that sit back. How do you suggest I alter things for such problems. Do I need to lower tempo, shorter passing and focus play in the flanks ?

Try the following tweaks:

- move the LOE from lower to standard

- remove the counter TI

- change the BBM into CM on attack

- change the keeper's duty into support (if not even defend)

- remove the take short kicks TI because there is really no need to be that much specific with keeper distribution

- occasionally add the Underlap right TI as an in-match tweak

- dropping the mentality to Balanced may also help by making your players a bit more patient and thoughtful with the ball

14 minutes ago, Oli99 said:

We're struggling more against the teams we are expected to beat and performing well against the bigger teams, so what you're saying makes perfect sense and I assume is exactly what's happening. Our goals generally start on the counter attack, so as you say that's not going to happen against teams that sit back. How do you suggest I alter things for such problems. Do I need to lower tempo, shorter passing and focus play in the flanks ?

I would start with your basic tactic and the tweak during the match. Don’t make more than 2-3 changes at a time and than Check first for like 15-20 mins how it goes.

• Remove Counter TI
  • standard or higher LOE with higher pressing intensity
  • lower tempo
  • create more mobility from deeper areas
  • switch winger to an inverse or playmaker role.

Ok, I'll give it a go, can you explain what under lap right will provide, is it just an extra player in midfield? I've always used short goal kicks because the boot up field from the keeper, I've noticed from watching the games, more often than not, results in losing the ball.

Right, I'll remove the counter instruction with a higher LOE, increase the press (is that the entire team or split block) with a lower tempo. 

Posted (edited)

I'd say you can have your RW on attack especially with your RB not having an overly attacking role.

At least 1 of your CMs can take a more aggresive role.

Perhaps look at giving DCL a different role I wouldn't recommend DLF for him whilst the role requires holding up the ball, something he is good at, it also requires him to then move the ball back to the midfield which will kill the counter attacks you want. He is also then asked if he can turn play passes for his teams or create them for himself, but he doesn't have the Passing, Vision or Flair to do consistently.

Finally what are you doing at set plays? You have Yerry Mina and DCL they should be wreaking havok at freekicks and corners

Edited by dactz

Yes, I'll change my BBM to a CM attack as recommended and DCL to a pressing forward which suits his aggression and bravery. He had a great season previously in that role though scoring every other game on average. He scores surprisingly few headers though. I need help with my set plays, I probably score about four goals a season through them. They're left as default 

21 minutes ago, Oli99 said:

I need help with my set plays, I probably score about four goals a season through them. They're left as default 

There are some good guides out there but basic principal seems to be isolate your 2 best headers together and force the ball there. Add a couple of decoy runners elsewhere but keep everyone else out of the way

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good with an improvement in results against teams who are sitting deep and therefore not vulnerable to the counter. The small changes suggested have certainly made a difference. Due to a glut of centre backs and a lack of wide forward players, I'm considering changing to a 532 next season. Could I continue using the current tactical template with a few alterations and role/duty changes or, is it totally unsuitable. I've never used the formation before ?