Most of the time, I create a tactic (or tweak an existing one) during pre-season. What if it's mid-season, and I'm not getting any joy from my tactic? Is it worth creating a new tactic mid-season, or will this cause me all kinds of issues such as familiarity and how to overcome this? 

I'd like to see what others here do with their tactics mid-season, and if you create a new tactic mid-season, how long do you give it before you realize it's not working?

If my tactic works, I don't see any reason to change it simply for the sake of it. If it stopped working at some point, I would make some tweaks rather than creating an entirely new tactic.

That's how I personally approach it, but each to their own :thup:

37 minutes ago, Vinnyvagus77 said:

Is it worth creating a new tactic mid-season, or will this cause me all kinds of issues such as familiarity and how to overcome this?

Familiarity doesn't really hold that much importance, it definitely won't cause your team to implode on its own. If your tactic is well set up and suits your players and expectations, you should generally do well. I'm sure it has some kind of effect, just like many other things in this game, but it shouldn't stop you from tweaking your tactic mid-season if that's something you think needs to be done. You can always schedule an extra Match Preparation session or two and it will shoot right back up in no time.

What could cause you serious problems though, is switching your tactical style up to the point it no longer suits your players, which then forces you to try and shoehorn them into suboptimal roles. Been there, done that, it never goes well. :kriss:

Thanks for the replies. I also "assume" it's not just my tactic causing a complete slump after Christmas.  Top of the table with a couple of losses and then from Jan to March only 2 wins and either draws or losses. I thought maybe the AI (opposition) were used to my style and I needed to make a change?

6 hours ago, Vinnyvagus77 said:

Most of the time, I create a tactic (or tweak an existing one) during pre-season. What if it's mid-season, and I'm not getting any joy from my tactic? Is it worth creating a new tactic mid-season, or will this cause me all kinds of issues such as familiarity and how to overcome this? 

I'd like to see what others here do with their tactics mid-season, and if you create a new tactic mid-season, how long do you give it before you realize it's not working?

It depends upon how much you are changing.  Tactical Familiarity has eight different components.  Changing just the passing style might just lower that component, but maybe also tempo and width.  Changing mentality presumably will affect many components:  Mentality, Width, Pressing, Creative Freedom and Tempo come to mind.  If you change formation, mentality and many roles/duties, you will lose a lot.  I happen to think that TF has a significant impact but many, who know the game better than I do, seem not to agree.

I often tweak my tactics on a game by game basis; pre-game in conjunction with next game only setting or during the game as needed. It's exceptionally rare that I don't finish a season using the same tactic(s) that I started with (they may not be exactly the same but no large deviations).

Of course there are exceptions to that rule, for example last season after the January transfer window closed, I lost one first choice winger for the rest of the season and my other one for a month and a half the very next game. One of my backups wasn't yet good enough for regular starts and unable to recall a loanee, I created a 4-4-2 narrow diamond to utilise in the short term.

I don´t see any problem, to be sincere. If it is not working or if you really need to change (due to loosing a player for example), why not try something different?

For me it matters much more depending on for what you are fighting for - for example, a team that is trying not to be relegated has less to loose on a changing than one that is attacking the title, for example.

20 hours ago, Vinnyvagus77 said:

Thanks for the replies. I also "assume" it's not just my tactic causing a complete slump after Christmas.  Top of the table with a couple of losses and then from Jan to March only 2 wins and either draws or losses. I thought maybe the AI (opposition) were used to my style and I needed to make a change?

Probably you were an underdog that were winning because you had loads of space to play into. Now with the AI playing more compact, your tactic doesn't work anymore and needs adjusting to be suitable for the "top dog" status that you earnt after so many victories.

Edited by Experienced Defender
needless remark
On 08/06/2021 at 22:25, Vinnyvagus77 said:

create a new tactic mid-season

I'd want to know what you mean by this. I'll change tempo and passing settings and others mid-match as well as adjusting according to opponent. If I inadvertently stumble across something that improves my performance. I'll keep it; if it makes things worse I'll drop it.

But if you mean radically change my formation, roles and duties and a bunch of TIs, I'll not do that without thorough testing first. That, for me, is primarily what pre-season is for. If you feel an urgent need to make huge changes mid-season, what I'd do is trial your ideas with your U23 and U18 sides first. So long as you've always been training and had them play the same as your first team, you might find something useful. You'd have to remember to change your tactics screen before and after non-first team matches, and you'd of course want to be managing and watching those reserve games to learn what's going on.