European Championship Goals (1960-2016)

I had a VHS featuring the highlights of Euro 92 that I actually ended up wearing out because I watched it so much when I was younger :D not sure if I could do it now but back then, I could recite quite a lot of the commentary from most games as well

watched every championship game or certainly 95% of them since 92 (saw the final of 88) and I feel that 2008 and 2012 are ones I don't remember as much about other than Spain winning it.  Looked at Wikipedia and I remember slight things (Holland's great start in 2008 and then losing to Russia who were very good in that tournament) but nothing compared to 1992, 1996 or 2000 it seems.  For example in 2012, I remember some of the knockout games but hardly any of the group stage games.  2016 I remember a bit more because it's recent history but again it doesn't compare to the three mentioned in the early 90s/00s

maybe it's just me for 2008 and 2012?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TM said:

maybe it's just me for 2008 and 2012?

As one of my friends says, we'll always remember the most details from those competitions when we were old enough to understand everything, but too young to drink alcohol. :lol:

I remember 2004 better than 2016. :lol:

Still remember that wonder-goal by Maniche in semi-final not being caught live, but we had to wait for a replay.

And I remember the exact celebration for Pršo's goal against France during that same tournament, while even the extra-time game against Portugal in 2016 is all foggy, even though I wasn't drinking. :D

Edited by GunmaN1905

I can remember some of the standout players from 2008 being Luka Modric, Roman Pavlyuchenko, and Marcos Senna. 

The only thing I remember about 2004 is Greece winning. Was that the tournament Rooney got sent off v Portugal and the Ronaldo wink sent the English press into fits? 

Just now, Tikka Mezzala said:

The only thing I remember about 2004 is Greece winning. Was that the tournament Rooney got sent off v Portugal and the Ronaldo wink sent the English press into fits? 

That was 2006, when Portugal eliminated England again. :D

Gerrard, Lampard and who else missed the penalties?
Vassell missed it in 2004.

Was it Barry or Hargreaves?

no that was the 2006 World Cup

2004 was the fantastic Rui Costa goal that put Portugal 2-1 up when he belted it past David James in off the bar

England penalties:

Beckham and Vassell missed in 2004. Beckham had already missed one against France in the group game and missed one in the final qualifier against Turkey in Istanbul the previous autumn so he wasn’t on a great run. Although the pitch was cutting up so badly that his standing foot gave way underneath him. The later kickers could hardly get the ball to stay on the spot, no idea why they didn’t move them down the other end.

Lampard, Gerrard and Carragher all missed in 2006. Carragher came on right near the end specifically to take a penalty, then smashed one in before the referee was ready, then had to take it again and missed :D Absolute shambles.

14 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I remember 2004 better than 2016. :lol:

Yeah this. I can't remember Euro16 at all. Obviously remember the England games (Iceland!).But I couldn't tell you any of the groups or group games. No idea any of the quarters either except Belguim/Wales. I'm even struggling to remember the Semis. Can only remember 3 of the teams there. 

21 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Euro 1960 (France):

Euro 1964 (Spain): 

Euro 1968 (Italy):

Euro 1972 (Belgium): 

Euro 1976 (Yugoslavia):

Euro 1980 (Italy):

Euro 1984 (France): 

Euro 1988 (West-Germany):

Euro 1992 (Sweden):

Euro 1996 (England): 

Euro 2000 (Belgium/Netherlands):

Euro 2004 (Portugal):

Euro 2008 (Austria/Switzerland):

Euro 2012 (Poland/Ukraine):

Euro 2016 (France):

This is great

It's mental seeing how close the fans were to the pitch in the Ireland v Austria game from Euro64. :D 

It's the first game in the video for anyone who wants to have a look. 

The best goal ever scored was by Van Basten vs USSR in the 1988 final. Dasaev was one of the best GKs back then and he was completely stunned. The audacity of Marco to shoot that volley from that angle as the ball was coming is ridiculous. For me the best goal ever. 

5 minutes ago, yonko said:

The best goal ever scored was by Van Basten vs USSR in the 1988 final. Dasaev was one of the best GKs back then and he was completely stunned. The audacity of Marco to shoot that volley from that angle as the ball was coming is ridiculous. For me the best goal ever. 

Hard to disagree.