(4-2-3-1) Struggling to turn domination into clear cut chances & goals

I've been dominating games but I am struggling (or think i am) of converting the domination into clear cut chances and goals. I score but sometimes t's late in the game through a longshot or from a set piece and i don't like the thought on relying on set pieces when i have dominated the game so much. Any thoughts/ideas would be great. Striker has 13 goals in 13 starts so i don't feel like the issue is him but i'm not an expert in tactics.

Thanks

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Edited by Jones1871

I mean, your results look perfectly fine for a team that's in the top 4. You've only lost once in 90 minutes all season.

One thing I do find useful in a 4-2-3-1 is to have a DLP with the "Gets further forward" trait. If they have great off the ball and decisions they can make a run from deep that can really open up a defence.

Edited by Deego619

54 minutes ago, Jones1871 said:

I've been dominating games but I am struggling (or think i am) of converting the domination into clear cut chances and goals.

Are you looking for a possession oriented style or a quick transitioning style? Both can be dominant

39 minutes ago, Deego619 said:

I mean, your results look perfectly fine for a team that's in the top 4. You've only lost once in 90 minutes all season.

One thing I do find useful in a 4-2-3-1 is to have a DLP with the "Gets further forward" trait. If they have great off the ball and decisions they can make a run from deep that can really open up a defence.

Yeah i have wondered if i'm doing a Pep and wanting perfection when it's unlikely. My starting DLP has run with ball often and he seems to get quite a lot of assists which is good.

19 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Are you looking for a possession oriented style or a quick transitioning style? Both can be dominant

Mainly looking to dominate the ball and pin the other team into their half. Only problem is when i do that they're so compact in their half my players sometimes struggle to find openings.

1 hour ago, Jones1871 said:

I've been dominating games but I am struggling (or think i am) of converting the domination into clear cut chances and goals.

You seem to be scoring quite a few (13 in last 5), but you also concede plenty (only one clean sheet through August and September).

I'd consider a few simple tweaks that could potentially improve both, your defensive stability and penetration:

AFat

IWsu    AMat    Wsu

CMde DLPsu

FBat CDde CDde FBsu

• 4-2-3-1 benefits from a strong double pivot (CMde and DLPsu offering defensive cover/back pass option)
  • Two WBs could be quite risky in top-heavy formations, FBs tend to be more considerate (primarily defensive players that supplement their defensive duties with overlapping runs)
  • AMat should improve central penetration at times when AF drifts wide (Move Into Channels) and take more risks with the ball

As for your instructions, I'd start with Positive mentality, Play Out Of Defence and Higher Defensive Line. I'd remove the rest for now and see how things go first, as some seem to conflict with the controlling style you described above (e.g. Shoot On Sight, Higher Tempo, Counter).

1 hour ago, Jones1871 said:

Mainly looking to dominate the ball

you need to reduce tempo then. 

If you are looking for dominance with the ball, it is key to allow your players to recycle the ball and make the right decisions. The mindset of your players whether they will tend to recycle possession or look to move the ball forward more urgently is determined by mentality. To make the right decisions, you need to allow them to take more time with the ball before they decide what to do, that’s what tempo does. 

On a higher tempo, your team will play more instinctively and will look for rushed decisions. This is better suited to fast transition.

If your Team Is still not finding opportunities for penetration, increase passing range and width

mobility and depth is already well represented on your tactics.

if your team fails / looses the ball when recycling possession, create a double pivot in midfield as @Zemahh already mentioned in his post

Btw, don’t worry about the passing range slider. It doesn’t nessecarily mean your players are going to hoof the ball.  Whether a pass is being played short or long / high or flat is determined by many other factors as well, as options of support and technical ability as well as the demand of the receiving player

Edited by CARRERA

2 hours ago, Jones1871 said:

I am struggling (or think i am) of converting the domination into clear cut chances

You use the Shoot on sight TI, so you yourself are obviously discouraging the creation of clear-cut chances. And even more so in combination with the Be more expressive. Btw, you generally use more instructions than is really necessary. 

In terms of roles and duties, I would consider changing the AM's duty from support to attack for the sake of better space creation and utilization. Alternatively, you can keep him on support duty and instead change the RCM into a more conservative role (holder or cover as opposed to runner). 

Not sure this is a tactical one overly. From that first screen shot you have 5 players in need of a rest, 2 injured and 5 players on the bench who aren't match sharp.

If you want to play that high tempo game I think you need to be rotating more.