Why am i not able to win trophees and games in this FM ?

Posted (edited)

Hi guys.

I've been playing FM for 10 years (around 300hrs each FM) and i'm just not able to win in this episode. I don't really understand why. I think i play good tactics and i really really dont understand what is going on. This is my third year at Man City and i finished third, fifth and im fifth again right now. Extremely disappointing results. I let you see my tactic down below. My right IF(s) is just so bad it's unbelievable. All my players actually look just so bad. I dont have the excitation to play anymore.

Thank for the advices !

calendrier.JPG

capture tactic 1.JPG

capture tactic 2.JPG

capture tactic 3.JPG

capture tactic 4.JPG

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word
2 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

Would it be possible for you to repost your tactics in English please? 

Surely you're familiar enough with the layout to see the set-up?

The results look good enough to me, but at first glance your tactics are fine against weaker teams, but too aggressive for better sides who can soak up your pressure. Do you actually play exactly the same tactics in every match?

My initial thoughts:

Generally with a very high line of engagement and a high line you'll want to press a bit more urgently.

The right IF might be playing badly because of the overlap right instruction, when he gets the ball he's always going to be looking to play it to the overlapping full back/wing back (not sure what an LOf is). Also the RB is Pavard, a converted centre-back, good player but not that good going forward, having overlap right selected would make more sense with a pacey wing back with good crossing.

Your tactical familiarity is bad, considering you're half way through the season, which suggests you're changing your tactics a lot, schedule a lot of match tactics/attacking movement/defensive shape etc training sessions, and try not to change things too drastically  game to game.

Lower Tempo, Play out of Defense and Work Ball into Box. Too many possession TIs that just slow things down and make it easy to defend against you. Add to that the incredibly high line, forcing the opposition into their own half leaving no space for you to exploit, while you give them all the space in the world when they manage to hit you on the counter.

As pointed out the right overlap is not helping your IF. On support duty he's already on a lower mentality and the overlap TI lowers that even further, so he'll be very passive. Also not sure about an IF considering you have the Mezzala right behind him (or rather in front of him with these instructions), playing him as an IW and allowing him to be more creative would probably be the better option.

Not sure about the roles of Bennacer and Silva, so can't judge those.

5 hours ago, afced7 said:

My initial thoughts:

Generally with a very high line of engagement and a high line you'll want to press a bit more urgently.

The right IF might be playing badly because of the overlap right instruction, when he gets the ball he's always going to be looking to play it to the overlapping full back/wing back (not sure what an LOf is). Also the RB is Pavard, a converted centre-back, good player but not that good going forward, having overlap right selected would make more sense with a pacey wing back with good crossing.

Your tactical familiarity is bad, considering you're half way through the season, which suggests you're changing your tactics a lot, schedule a lot of match tactics/attacking movement/defensive shape etc training sessions, and try not to change things too drastically  game to game.

I did change my tactic a lot, but not the entire tactic. Just changed few roles and TI's... Because i was not happy with my initial tactic. I do like this one but results are complicate.

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Surely you're familiar enough with the layout to see the set-up?

The results look good enough to me, but at first glance your tactics are fine against weaker teams, but too aggressive for better sides who can soak up your pressure. Do you actually play exactly the same tactics in every match?

I was playing a verry aggressive 4-2-3-1 at the beggining of this season. Gegenpressing and fast attacking. But you can probably guess, i was just loosing games against weaker teams that were playing low block and waiting us in their own side... 

2 minutes ago, Noaranakin said:

I did change my tactic a lot, but not the entire tactic. Just changed few roles and TI's... Because i was not happy with my initial tactic. I do like this one but results are complicate.

I was playing a verry aggressive 4-2-3-1 at the beggining of this season. Gegenpressing and fast attacking. But you can probably guess, i was just loosing games against weaker teams that were playing low block and waiting us in their own side... 

Well as others have said, it takes time and patience for players to learn new tactics. Even Pep needed more than a year for his players to get familiar with his system.

2 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

Instructions, yes. Roles not so much.

The two wingers are IF. Bennacer si an AP. Kimmich is the Half-back. The striker is an Deep lying forward. 

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Well as others have said, it takes time and patience for players to learn new tactics. Even Pep needed more than a year for his players to get familiar with his system.

I know brother, but i didn't change my tactic like crazy... Just few adjustments but it looks like my players are not able to learn it. I will maybe try to stick with this tactic for months 

Im tired about this save i'm gonna delete it and start a new one. I'm always dominating my oppenent (Xgs, possession, actions etc...) but loosing or drawing. My players just seems totaly high. Impossible to get a clean sheet. Bref, so many annoying things

I'd really like to help with some advice, but it's impossible unless you post a screenshot in English, because I really cannot understand anything in that language apart from the positive mentality and mezzala role in RCM. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Noaranakin said:

Im tired about this save i'm gonna delete it and start a new one. I'm always dominating my oppenent (Xgs, possession, actions etc...) but loosing or drawing. My players just seems totaly high. Impossible to get a clean sheet. Bref, so many annoying things

I think you should probably look at your instructions and cut some down. Your tactic is really much too focused on possesion for the sake of possesion. Combined with the roles it's no wonder you don't have much luck breaking defensive sides down. Even if you are dominating them.

Play out of defence, Slow tempo, and work ball all into space (if I'm reading French correctly) are too much of an overkill all together. I would just play out of defense and get rid off the others. Slow tempo especially is giving too much time for your opponent to organize their defences.

Edited by crusadertsar
Posted (edited)

DLF-s

IF-a                              IF-s

AP-s   MEZ-a

HB

CWB-s   CD-d   CD-d   WB-s

SK-s

Mentality: Positive

In Possession:
- Fairly Wide (default for Positive mentality)
- Play out of Defense
- Overlap Right
- Slightly Lower Tempo (-1 for Positive mentality)
- Work Ball Into Box

In Transition:
- Counter-Press
- Take Short Kicks

Out of Possession:
- Higher Defensive Line
- Much Higher Line of Engagement
- Use Offside Trap
- Slightly More Urgent Pressing (default for Positive mentality)
- Prevent Short GK Distribution

Edited by Prolix

Thanks @Prolix :thup:

Now let's see where potential problems are:

- a number of needless instructions in possession (most of them should be used as situational in-match tweaks, rather than on a regular basis)

- no need for a CWB in a formation that is not narrow (normal WB on support would be the optimal choice for the LB role)

- if you want to prioritize possession, the keeper's duty should rather be defend than support

- the overlap right TI can make you overly vulnerable on that flank, because the instruction increases the fullbacks' mentality and the CM in front of him is the already very attack-minded mezzala

- your defensive instructions are aggressive whereas your level of compactness is lower than optimal (plus, with the much higher LOE, you are reducing the space for your forwards to potentially take advantage of)

Posted (edited)

Thanks Prolix for the translation of the tactic's roles. And thank you everyone for the help. But i've just gived up this save, i was 16 points behind the first one in february and my team was horrible... I'm gonna start a fresh new save and see how is it gonna be with the pre-season ! Keep you in touch

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word
On 07/06/2021 at 11:11, Noaranakin said:

Thanks Prolix for the translation of the tactic's roles. And thank you everyone for the help. But i've just gived up this save, i was 16 points behind the first one in february and my team was horrible... I'm gonna start a fresh new save and see how is it gonna be with the pre-season ! Keep you in touch

Ok, just for your information:  before the Everton game, which was bad for you all around, in the previous nine games, where you had a draw or loss, your allowed 9 goals and scored 6, therefore it appeared that your big problem was scoring, and not as much defense.  You wrote that your were dominating in xG.  If that was true in the games where you lost or drew, then you might just need a better goal scorer.  xG measures opportunities, not the quality of the player shooting the ball.

Others already mentioned the problem with your RB overlapping your RW.  Another issue is that an IF and Mez(a) on the same side will often fight for the same space when those two players are moving without the ball.  A better combination is IW and Mez(a), because the IW usually doesn't cut into the box until after he receives the ball.