Do betting odds affect opposition’s mentality?

Hi everyone,

When I took over my current club in late June, the betting odds showed that my team were expected to finish just above the relegation zone. 90 days later & after bringing in some decent freebies & loan players, the betting odds now show that my club are expected to finish in second place. Does this mean that opposition teams will now set up defensively against me & so defensive counter-attacking tactics probably aren’t my best option?

I ask because I’ve read on here that defensive teams often have to change tactics when opponents begin to perceive them as being a stronger team.

Thanks!

It doesn't necessarily mean that opposition teams will set up "defensively" against you (although some might), it's perhaps more correct to consider opponents tending to play more cautiously against you.  That does not mean they'll use the Cautious mentality (although again some might), but rather use a slightly less aggressive mentality than usual, perhaps using fewer attack duty players and/or toning down aggressive team instructions for example. 

Your current form is a factor in how the opposition might set up against you.

Counter attacking tactics can still work, but that's a large generalisation and depends on your team and the tactic used.  All you can really do is try it, see how it goes and make some tweaks if needed.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

It doesn't necessarily mean that opposition teams will set up "defensively" against you (although some might), it's perhaps more correct to consider opponents tending to play more cautiously against you.  That does not mean they'll use the Cautious mentality (although again some might), but rather use a slightly less aggressive mentality than usual, perhaps using fewer attack duty players and/or toning down aggressive team instructions for example. 

Your current form is a factor in how the opposition might set up against you.

Counter attacking tactics can still work, but that's a large generalisation and depends on your team and the tactic used.  All you can really do is try it, see how it goes and make some tweaks if needed.

Thank you!