The "joys" of unemployment (with local/unknow rep)

The manager reputation has been my "battle" for a while now, so, based on my experience I've decided to post my experience with finding jobs in game, starting unemployed with local or unknown rep (doesn't seem to make any difference one or the other) 

Argentina: almost impossible to get a job, rarely got a job in second tier, seems its a real small chance

Australia: its very possible to get a job in one of the best teams, doesn't happen always but the chance seems higher than previous league for example 

Belgium: a pain to get a job, even in lower tiers, I find its the hardest league to get a decent team, when compared to others I will write.

Canada: there's a chance, doesn't happen always but I've gotten offers from Canadian teams. 

China: failry easy to get jobs from tier two teams. 

Denmark: easy to get offers from lowest tier and occasionally from second tier.

England: from league two and down its failry common to find jobs, I've had the rare offer from league one happening too. 

France: lots of jobs in fourth tier, occasionally a offer from third tier

Germany: only offers from a selected few teams in Bundesliga 3. 

Greece: second tier job offers are common 

Netherlands: so easy to get a decent job offer in second tier 

Italy: fairly easy to get offers from serie C teams even tough it's always the same teams (can always count on Monopoli offering me the job for example) 

Mexico: easy to get a second tier job 

Poland : same as above

Portugal: third tier jobs are common, even though in first season it's hard for a manager to get fired apparently

Russia: same as Poland, Mexico and Netherlands

Scotland: from league one and down job offers are common

South Korea: failry easy to find a second tier job

Spain: lots of job offers in third tier 

Turkey: easy to get jobs in third tier and even second tier (Altinordu seems to enjoy giving me a chance) 

USA : impossible to get a job 

Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland: easy to get a job in any top tier team. 

That's my own experience, which is most of my saves, its a bit frustrating to know who will give me a job in advance, there's very little surprise and manager nationality doesn't seem to make a difference, neither having local or unknow reputation. 

Some leagues have realistic offers but for example Belgium and Argentina are too hard when compared to Netherlands for example.

Edited by Hildor

Doesn't your nationality play a part here? For example, if you play as someone who is English, Scottish or Welsh, and then load up the Argentinian league with the lowest manager reputation, it will be more of a struggle to get jobs then say if you selected your nationality as Argentinian.

9 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

Doesn't your nationality play a part here? For example, if you play as someone who is English, Scottish or Welsh, and then load up the Argentinian league with the lowest manager reputation, it will be more of a struggle to get jobs then say if you selected your nationality as Argentinian.

I'm theory yes but I've tried with Argentinian nationality and got same results. 

Edited by Hildor

• 7 months later...

Not much, if anything has changed since last year's edition regarding reputation and finding a job. I have tested this to exhaustion since its one way to find interesting saves when I'm bored of the game, starting unemployed with unknown rep.

This year im also playing the switch version and despite the game not letting us choose starting rep (who made this decision...?) I feel that the stars rating works better than reputation on mobile. 

With 2 stars out of 5 (wich I'm assuming it's something close to regional?) I've had offers from the likes of Fiorentina or Troyes, plenty of job offers from 2nd tier leagues too which is something that doesn't happen on mobile. When we achieve regional, sometimes after taking a team from the bottom to top league, best we can hope for is about league one level teams. 

@Marc Vaughan have you guys tested unemployed saves thoroughly? Load the same 5 leagues 4 or 5 times, go a whole year holidaying and applying to every job and you will find that the job offers are, vast majority, the same teams (if the manager gets fired of course), nationality changes things occasionally (for some reason if start with Irish nationality I seem to get the ocasional surprise job offer)

I'm not saying that I want to have Premier league teams wanting me if I'm a unknown manager but I would like more variety of job offers or at least more control over what kind of rep I start the game with, I feel the stars rating would be perfect if we could adjust it at the start that is. 

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Hildor said:

@Marc Vaughan have you guys tested unemployed saves thoroughly? Load the same 5 leagues 4 or 5 times, go a whole year holidaying and applying to every job and you will find that the job offers are, vast majority, the same teams (if the manager gets fired of course), nationality changes things occasionally (for some reason if start with Irish nationality I seem to get the ocasional surprise job offer)

If you start unemployed then the jobs available will depend initially upon who gets sacked first - because of the nature of football the clubs who sack their managers will often depend on (1) the quality of players, (2) quality of current manager, (3) board. 

Thus the club's sacking players will generally be somewhat predictable - ie. they won't always be the same, but will trend towards a group of clubs somewhat in the same way that it is VERY likely that the same group of clubs will flirt with relegation from the Premiership in the first season.

This is further biased by there being possibly some jobs available at the start of the game, if this is the case then those will automatically be the first ones you are considered for.

(I'll get QA to do some more testing of this - but in answer to your question ... yes we do test this)

1 hora atrás, Marc Vaughan disse:

If you start unemployed then the jobs available will depend initially upon who gets sacked first - because of the nature of football the clubs who sack their managers will often depend on (1) the quality of players, (2) quality of current manager, (3) board. 

Thus the club's sacking players will generally be somewhat predictable - ie. they won't always be the same, but will trend towards a group of clubs somewhat in the same way that it is VERY likely that the same group of clubs will flirt with relegation from the Premiership in the first season.

This is further biased by there being possibly some jobs available at the start of the game, if this is the case then those will automatically be the first ones you are considered for.

(I'll get QA to do some more testing of this - but in answer to your question ... yes we do test this)

Yeah I get that but I still feel the job offers lack little randomness to it, something that doesn't seem to happen on the PC version (altough last one I played was 16) or the current touch version (as an example with one star reputation - presumably equivalent to unknown rep on mobile?) I got two job offers from Chile and Austrian top divisions, something impossible to happen on mobile from my experience. 

In real life sometimes unknown managers get some second tier jobs, occasionally even top tier. Either they had past footballing experience or good youth teams reputation (Bruno Lage is a good example) . 

Also one question, does mobile reputation levels have different tiers on itself? Regional for example, I've had regional where no nation would want me while other times they accept me with regional reputation (mostly African teams). 

• SI Staff
16 minutes ago, Hildor said:

Yeah I get that but I still feel the job offers lack little randomness to it, something that doesn't seem to happen on the PC version (altough last one I played was 16) or the current touch version (as an example with one star reputation - presumably equivalent to unknown rep on mobile?) I got two job offers from Chile and Austrian top divisions, something impossible to happen on mobile from my experience. 

In real life sometimes unknown managers get some second tier jobs, occasionally even top tier. Either they had past footballing experience or good youth teams reputation (Bruno Lage is a good example) . 

Also one question, does mobile reputation levels have different tiers on itself? Regional for example, I've had regional where no nation would want me while other times they accept me with regional reputation (mostly African teams). 

If you want more variety then having a higher reputation will help (just so you know) - if you're unknown then err you're unknown and it is very unlikely that clubs abroad will have much interest in you (unless they're very small).

A lot of the decision making for jobs is down to which other managers are interested when you apply - so it might not just be down to your reputation, but also the ability and reputation of managers who are competing against you.

"In real life sometimes unknown managers get some second tier jobs, occasionally even top tier. Either they had past footballing experience or good youth teams reputation (Bruno Lage is a good example) . "

I would argue those are not 'unknown' managers at all - they're established within the football world and have built up a reputation through their playing careers or being assistant/youth coaches. An 'unknown' is just that, someone who doesn't have an established reputation ... not Steven Gerrard or Wayne Rooney ;)

4 horas atrás, Marc Vaughan disse:

If you want more variety then having a higher reputation will help (just so you know) - if you're unknown then err you're unknown and it is very unlikely that clubs abroad will have much interest in you (unless they're very small).

A lot of the decision making for jobs is down to which other managers are interested when you apply - so it might not just be down to your reputation, but also the ability and reputation of managers who are competing against you.

"In real life sometimes unknown managers get some second tier jobs, occasionally even top tier. Either they had past footballing experience or good youth teams reputation (Bruno Lage is a good example) . "

I would argue those are not 'unknown' managers at all - they're established within the football world and have built up a reputation through their playing careers or being assistant/youth coaches. An 'unknown' is just that, someone who doesn't have an established reputation ... not Steven Gerrard or Wayne Rooney ;)

Yeah it helps but there's no middle term there, either start with unknow/local rep (same thing when looking for a job) or continental. I would be a very happy gamer if we could have regional or national as a choice :). With continental I can get 90% of the jobs (yawn) 

I gave Lage example as he started as an ass man for several youth/lower clubs, then had his chance to work as an ass man in England, Benfica B and when he arrived at Benfica job as a caretaker I would argue at best he would have a regional reputation. No footballing background of note as a player. 

Yeah Gerrard and Rooney are not unknowns but we do have a few "local" rep manager in some of our lower leagues here in Portugal (2nd and 3rd tiers for example). Guess people here are not afraid to bet on unknowns, specially since Mourinho 😁 anyway what I mean is that can't be recreated in FMM.

Two solutions I see here: a fully customisable star rating or give us acess to regional/national reputation at the start of the game. Hell I would buy those reps instead of world class rep if that was an option 😉

Edited by Hildor

• SI Staff

Couple of things to mention with this:

Unknown/Local - Human managers have an 'artificial' reputation when unemployed which is slightly above their real one in some instances, this is intended to ensure that you CAN get a job (as otherwise in some leagues/regions you wouldn't - French lower league clubs can't be a tad picky for instance).
To explain further in this area, the effect between Unknown/Local is more to do with how players react to you, if you're unknown then you're more likely to have fall out and problems enticing players to trust you than otherwise.

PS - Thanks for your analysis it's very useful and I'll further tune which jobs are available

5 horas atrás, Marc Vaughan disse:

Couple of things to mention with this:

Unknown/Local - Human managers have an 'artificial' reputation when unemployed which is slightly above their real one in some instances, this is intended to ensure that you CAN get a job (as otherwise in some leagues/regions you wouldn't - French lower league clubs can't be a tad picky for instance).
To explain further in this area, the effect between Unknown/Local is more to do with how players react to you, if you're unknown then you're more likely to have fall out and problems enticing players to trust you than otherwise.

PS - Thanks for your analysis it's very useful and I'll further tune which jobs are available

That one was from last years edition, still not much has changed from my gameplay testing. In the new South African league seems easy to get a second tier job. Still struggling to get a job in Argentina, even with Argentinian nationality. 

Also struggled to get a job in Portugal when I load Portugal and 4 other leagues, mostly cause it hard to get managers fired in lower leagues apparently 🤔

If I load just Portugal then I find jobs with much ease, guess the game compensates for being the only league? 

Also find that teams still have unrealistic expectations till around early December, a lot of teams have offered me jobs still wanting promotion when they sit in the last positions, for example. Seems expectations only tend to adjust mid/late December. 

• 4 weeks later...
Em 26/01/2022 em 10:16, ElliottMS disse:

I think it would be good to allow you to pick other reputation levels once you've earned them in game.

That got me thinking on the customer side of things, if these options are available in a game we buy and we unlock them as we go then they should also be available as choice from the start after we unlock them/buy them. 

• SI Staff
On 26/01/2022 at 14:25, Hildor said:

If I load just Portugal then I find jobs with much ease, guess the game compensates for being the only league? 

I try and ensure that there is at least a chance of you obtaining a job regardless of the leagues you activate, yes.

(so the games 'minimum reputation' that it uses for a human might sometimes be artificially ramped from the actual 'reputation' you have in game if you've only got a single league active - this is simply to ensure you don't just sit unemployed forever - which might be realistic, but not much fun as a user ;) )

• 3 months later...

Here's a good example on how the current reputation system is flawed, specially for those of us looking at doing a journeyman career. 

I started unemployed with no reputation, managed to get 2 promotions and a 4th place in three years at the club, still can't get out of regional reputation, meaning the only clubs that want me are some tier 2 and plenty in tier 3, also no national team wants me.

Won manager of the year in top league and I didn't seem to make any difference to my reputation. 

In real life a manager doing this job would have, at least, tier one clubs interested. 

Screenshot_2022-05-26-13-31-22-835_com.sega.soccer.manager.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-25-20-39-11-087_com.sega.soccer.manager.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-25-20-38-10-546_com.sega.soccer.manager.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-25-20-38-45-248_com.sega.soccer.manager.jpg