Opposition tactics

Hi

I'm playing the Demo as Liverpool. When clubs like Bolton and Fulham come to Anfield they play extremely defensive tactics. Now it's expected to sit back but these guys don't move the ball out their own half the whole game almost. They make no effort to even counter attack. Another problem is they foul like crazy. 30 or more fouls a game. I can't put any moves together because by the 3rd pass they foul my player. You'd think by the 3rd, 4th, 5th foul committed by a player he'd get at least a yellow :confused:

Lastly my strikers Torres, Babel and Keane seem to have developed vision problems since they can't shoot straight if their lives depended on it. Some games it's a 10 to 1 shots on ratio and they're not shots from distance.

Have you tried the tactics forum? On a basic level, I'd suggest having your attacking players with very short passing, high tempo and play with a lot of width to try and pull their defences out of position, but they'd be able to offer more in depth help if you're already doing this.

Yes that's pretty much how I've set my tactics out. The problem is in some games I can't get near the opposition box because my players are constantly fouled. I get a lot of freekicks obviously but I'd prefer to have a flowing game. Rather frustrating when it's overdone. IRL teams would finish with 8 men if they played like that

Hi

I'm playing the Demo as Liverpool. When clubs like Bolton and Fulham come to Anfield they play extremely defensive tactics. Now it's expected to sit back but these guys don't move the ball out their own half the whole game almost. They make no effort to even counter attack. Another problem is they foul like crazy. 30 or more fouls a game. I can't put any moves together because by the 3rd pass they foul my player. You'd think by the 3rd, 4th, 5th foul committed by a player he'd get at least a yellow :confused:

Lastly my strikers Torres, Babel and Keane seem to have developed vision problems since they can't shoot straight if their lives depended on it. Some games it's a 10 to 1 shots on ratio and they're not shots from distance.

fouling like crazy is something i have posted about before. have minimum 25 fouls a game on my players. results in lots of injuries and red cards.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=73645&highlight=carded

i get no replies. so maybe just our tactics. ;)

The similarities between my season and IRL is a little disconcerting. There are a few differences in that I manage to beat the teams by one measly goal instead of draw and haven't had to win from being a goal behind yet. I just played Rangers at home who surprisingly didn't foul so much won 2-1 with 2 long range goals from Alonso (his 5th, 13 games into the season :eek:) but I had 20 shots at goal. Now I follow Sammy Lee's advice and show disappointment at the forwards for yet again failing to convert and now Keane is very unsettled :rolleyes:

I don't play defensive like Rafa IRL. I even have Agger bombing forward at times just too try get a 2nd goal and kill off the game

Top of the league after 8 games, scored 12, conceded 2 yet I can't possiblly play anymore offensive tactics :confused:

• 1 month later...

*sigh*

So I foolishly go buy the full version thinking maybe this ridiculous 20 shots at target( 10 on target) for 1 goal bug would be fixed. Clearly it hasn't. In fact things are worse. I now leak goals like a sieve even though I use the exact same tactics in the demo that left me with the best defensive record in the league by a mile. So I change tactics. Select defensive 4-5-1 and what happens. Exactly the same thing. Hell even the 20 shots at goal bugs continues. So I check how I concede goals. Long range strikes, goal keeper fumbles and freak goals direct from corners. Almost always last gasp equalizers. It's like it's been hard coded. I try new tactics and new players but time after time it's the same thing. I'm now mighty close to chucking this turd in the bin

the problem is your probably attacking and pushing forward too much, your closing the space and not allowing any flowing moves, and because its tight with all the opposition behind the ball they are committing more fouls.

drop your mentality slightly to normal, and your def line a little, and try to draw the oppostion out and create more space for the forwards. play wide and slow, short passing. with high creative freedom, you could even try time wasting.

i do this with my spurs side at home, it pulls the opposition out of position and creates gaps for through balls etc.

i was struggling to kill the weaker sides off aswell, they just defend, but unlike you, they would hit me on the break as tottenham do not have a high reputation as liverpool so they fancy their chances more.

just a suggestion.

the problem is your probably attacking and pushing forward too much, your closing the space and not allowing any flowing moves, and because its tight with all the opposition behind the ball they are committing more fouls.

drop your mentality slightly to normal, and your def line a little, and try to draw the oppostion out and create more space for the forwards. play wide and slow, short passing. with high creative freedom, you could even try time wasting.

i do this with my spurs side at home, it pulls the opposition out of position and creates gaps for through balls etc.

i was struggling to kill the weaker sides off aswell, they just defend, but unlike you, they would hit me on the break as tottenham do not have a high reputation as liverpool so they fancy their chances more.

just a suggestion.

That's what I thought so I changed my tactics to exactly that. Granted it did bring down the fouls but I'm still getting 10-1 shots off target. I even put long shots to minimum for all the players and still the same result. Torres can't score from point blank range. Miss after miss after miss. Happened in the demo as well. Gets decent ratings after the game so I can't criticize. There is literally nothing I can do except drop him. Problem is Keane is no better.

Goals to shots for my strikers

4/25

4/17

1/15

2/16

2/24

Just checked the goals I've conceded. Half of them were either a long range strikes, illegal or a fluke. The other half bar one were as a result of either Carra or Agger suddenly forgetting how to tackle. Turned inside out by the likes of Yakubu( who went past Arbeloa, Carra and Agger as if they weren't there), Diouf, Kurani(SP) and Martins. All one or two on one situations. Now that is unheard off IRL but I look at their ratings and it's above 7 every time for both of them. If they did that in real life blood would be on dressing room walls after Rafa was done with them. But I can't do anything except make them drop deep. It's just these momentary lapses. Almost as if the game engine is cheating. Either a fluke, long range strike or defenders suddenly for one moment become useless.

You do realise that those goals to shots ratios are pretty much accurate to real life? It was posted on another thread a couple of weeks ago that of the strikers in the EPL, there was only ONE who had a better ratio than 1 goal in every 4 shots. You have 13 goals in 97 shots - approx 14%. Now given that some of your shots are going to come from your defenders and midfielders, who can't be expected to get as good a ratio as your forwards, this seems perfectly normal. Gotta remember this isn't FM08 where you could expect to win every game 4/5/6-0. :D

Well the results are skewed a little by a game or two where every shot went in and I got 4-0 and 3-0 wins. If you take that into the equation it's more 1/22 for Torres :o. Of those 22 only 3 or 4 were on target. Like I said these aren't long range attempts.

I've now restarted and deleted all remnants of that disaster. The last straw come against Schalke. They score the winner late from a goal miles offside. I reload the game change tactics and again they win this time a shocking back pass straight to their striker for a tap in. Happens again and again. You'd think LFC ws a conference side going by the individual errors and the officiating equally amateur going by the number illegal goals allowed against my team, never mind goals in my favour ruled out which has happened 5 times in a dozen or so games.

So I start again as Hertha in Germany. Surprise, surprise exactly the same rubbish as before. My first game a defensive blunder gives the opposition a goal at exactly the same time of the match as my first game with Liverpool. Coincidence? Anyway it's same old, same old. Defenders lapsing, strikers missing sitters and officials giving illegal goals against my side game after game. Apart from the odd long range super strike it seem opposition teams do very little

My defence is very good. CB's rating are 17, 16 and 15 in all the vital areas and yet they defend like kids. My last game against Everton was just like the Schalke game as LFC. Everton score a illegitimate goal, so I try again. This time the defence disappears at a corner for an easy tap in, then my one CB for the second game in row fumbles ( also the commentary stated it was a suspicious goal) and Yakubu scores. The same Yakubu who dribbled Arebeloa, Carra and Agger in my LFC game. Now they all somehow got high ratings in that game for their pathetic defending so guess my error prone moron for a CB gets for handing Yakubu a goal. 7.6 WTF!!!. Now I can't criticize him and tell him to catch a wake up.

*sigh*

I'd hate to know what passes for bad defending in this game :o

Okay so I changed tactics to uber defensive. 6 defenders( back 4 plus two DMs) 1 link man in the middle and 3 big hard working strikers defending from the front. At first it was the same old but them *gasp* clean sheets started to appear. Not only that but the odd goal as well :eek: 8 games 6 wins 1 loss 1 draw and 5 clean sheets. Still don't see why my back line which is equal to the very best need so much protection. Just thankful there are no more illegal goals being conceded.

Archived