Hangover from successful season

After finishing 3rd after being expected to finish mid table with Palace, the next season has started the complete opposite. We've played 7 games and have only won once while only scoring in two games and worst of all we've lost every away game so far, and this is without facing any of the top 6 yet.

The tactic:

1263850_20210522184203_1.thumb.png.ca894f00faf8bf89cf2595a7b94a6977.png

Edited by Jaydenoren

Your tactic is pretty defensive.  After finishing third teams will be sitting back against you a bit more which nullifies your style of play a bit.  You probably need to play on the front foot a bit more and look to break teams down.

Just now, LHurlz said:

Your tactic is pretty defensive.  After finishing third teams will be sitting back against you a bit more which nullifies your style of play a bit.  You probably need to play on the front foot a bit more and look to break teams down.

I’ve considered that but I am dubious of going more attacking since our team is pretty bang average in terms of technical ability 

I mean, who in your tactic is supposed to score goals? Your forward that drops deep? The AP that has "shoot less often" hardcoded? The only somewhat aggressive role you have is the IW(A) and in a 4-4-2 he's sitting relatively deep, so it's no surprise you're not scoring any goals at all.

At least have either the striker or the AM in a role that aggressively attacks the box, instead of both roles being creators, if you don't want to alter your overall tactic too much.

2 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

I mean, who in your tactic is supposed to score goals? Your forward that drops deep? The AP that has "shoot less often" hardcoded? The only somewhat aggressive role you have is the IW(A) and in a 4-4-2 he's sitting relatively deep, so it's no surprise you're not scoring any goals at all.

At least have either the striker or the AM in a role that aggressively attacks the box, instead of both roles being creators, if you don't want to alter your overall tactic too much.

The idea was to have the striker drop deep and hold the ball for the advanced attacking midfielder and left winger when countering and have my goals through counters and set pieces but the set pieces have dried up so I’ll see if that change works

How about the following tweaks:

DLFat

APat

IWsu    CMde   BWMsu    Wsu

FBat     CDde    CDde     FBsu

And normal pressing instead of more urgent (given that under the positive mentality pressing urgency is already relatively high by default). 

The above suggestions are purely from the tactical perspective. However: 

1 hour ago, Jaydenoren said:

After finishing 3rd after being expected to finish mid table with Palace

Such a huge overachievement usually means that playing defensive football (i.e. low LOE) is no longer a viable option for you. Simply because the opposition are now approaching you with a lot more respect following your great success from the previous season.

33 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

How about the following tweaks:

DLFat

APat

IWsu    CMde   BWMsu    Wsu

FBat     CDde    CDde     FBsu

And normal pressing instead of more urgent (given that under the positive mentality pressing urgency is already relatively high by default). 

The above suggestions are purely from the tactical perspective. However: 

Such a huge overachievement usually means that playing defensive football (i.e. low LOE) is no longer a viable option for you. Simply because the opposition are now approaching you with a lot more respect following your great success from the previous season.

I’m just not sure how to become more attacking while staying true to the player’s strengths 

44 minutes ago, Jaydenoren said:

I’m just not sure how to become more attacking while staying true to the player’s strengths 

More attacking than you currently are does not mean overly attacking. It is nuances that often make the key difference.

Plus, is the 4411 the only formation you have suitable players for? What about 433dm wide or 42dm31 (for example)? Because formations that use a DM but at the same time also have more players up front can allow you to be more attack-minded without incurring (too) much defensive risk.

I’m still confused though as to why I’m performing so poorly away from home. Due to my tactic should I not be struggling at home rather than away due to the opposition? My problems have never been playing at home and my unbeaten streak there has passed 20 games but away it’s like we forget how to play the game.